Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 05-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Default MoW:CH - Worst in the series

Just my opinion here...

This is easily the worst MoW ever. I have played them all.

I remember they weren't all just mission after mission of the same grassy fields, the same trenches, the same objective, the same everything... these missions are so incredibly alike that it is hard to believe nobody noticed it early on in production.

Do you remember the old MoW games? With beautiful big cities, train stations, military bases, tall buildings and clock towers, real stealth and sabotage missions, much more access to equipment such as AP and AT mines, much more varied environments and mission types.

There was a lot more strategy back then, and it was a lot more "sandbox", because if you were smart you could complete the mission in any way you like. You could kill the crew of an enemy nebelwerfer and completely demolish an entire city, or you could steal a couple of enemy tanks and fight them head-on, or you could setup traps and kill zones to lure the enemies in to.

Now I feel like I am forced to do the mission the way "I'm supposed to" finish it. There are artificial limitations on my gameplay such as clearly marked explosives crates being empty on every mission I have played. I go to the trouble of keeping that crate intact while I try to take out the enemies around it, only to find out that there is nothing in it.

This did not happen in old MoW games. If a crate was marked with those orange or red shells/explosives icons then you could bet that there would be shells or explosives in them. In Condemned Heroes 95% of the boxes are empty, the other 5% have MG ammo in them.

Another thing that just made me alt-tab out of the game and come here to post: I'm on a mission where I'm supposed to be part of a decoy assault on a German base by blowing up their supply depot. But there are perfectly good tanks in the supply depot. I know from previous MoW games that I should take any chance I can get to increase the killing power of my starting soldiers.

So I kill all of the infantry around and jump in a tank - it has no fuel in it - that is OK, it happened in old MoW games, so I think I will just go look for a barrel to refuel it. I see some barrels nearby on the map near some mortar squads so I kill all of them... only to find out that all of those barrels - which are already full of fuel because they're marked with a (50) - are not useable. I can't pick up a barrel. I can't refuel my tank. I wasted my time being strategic in a game that no longer requires it.

This is not MoW any more. You have taken this series in a different direction and you should probably just stop using the franchise name to sell unrelated games.

I understand there is a big Russian market for these games, and the Russian players probably enjoy being able to play out missions from their own history, but if it means killing the franchise then I just don't think it is worth it. This all really started with Red Tide. That was still a great game (not as good as the real MoWs), but you're just limiting yourself by only including Russians.

Then we had Vietnam and you even had to have Russians at the center of attention in Vietnam. That was stretching the limits, and with CH you have broken it. You can still involve the Russians in the game without giving us incredibly boring and repetitive missions. I'm sure the Russians don't want everyone to think all they did in WW2 was run across grassy fields in the sunshine.

Bring back the old MoW. Bring back the freedom and strategy that was involved. Re-hire the old map/mission designers and give them twice the money you're paying your current designers.

One last thing: Nobody carries matches any more? That was another nice feature in MoW and even FoW I believe. You could lure a few squads of enemies out in to a wheat field or somewhere similar and light it on fire just to see what would happen. There were a lot of fun little things to do that increased the replay value of those original games.

Last edited by Captn; 05-18-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Approved Member

Ok, so I havent played MoW:CH or MoW:V...I agree that CH does look boring lol...MoW:V looks like a nice change of pace from the WWII era...I would to drive around in the M48 for a change instead of a Sherman, Panther, TIger, T29...lol

Also, you mention MATCHES!? In all my time in the editor I didnt know this game had matches....see, now I gotta go find them and play with them in the editor, muwhahahahah.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

I just wanted to come back and say that the bonus missions are much more fun than any of the campaigns. In some of the bonus missions we get to play with flamethrowers, molitovs, heavy tanks, tank destroyers, spec ops groups with "new" SMGs, and other interesting stuff.

So, you know what this tells me? It tells me you can still make decent MoW games when you don't put so many limits on yourself. You are severely limiting what kind of missions you can make when you come up with this "condemned heroes" idea. Obviously you wanted it to be fairly accurate to the real missions but that didn't translate in to a fun game. It translated in to boring trench warfare in mission after mission of the regular campaigns.

I'm hoping you have noticed this... and that the next project will be a true sequel to MoW with many factions represented. I'm tired of playing as Russians all of the time, even in Vietnam we played as Russians... it is enough already.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for this post, I'm going to pass on CH...

Sounds like some company is getting lazy.....
Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Gotta agree. This is just awful.

It's nearly impossible to capture enemy equipment, you're given a couple soldiers to go against huge odds.

There is still...still still the save game bug of reloading the game (when it doesn't crash) and the enemy knowing your position. Completely ruins some of the saves.

Throwing grenades is a joke. Half the time the guy leans out and throws it in the opposite direction, as if some areas are bugged. You try to hurl a grenade in one direction with no obstruction the guys leans out and hurls it 80 degrees off to the left. Try it again, same direction.

About the only way to play some missions is to get a guy a german machine gun, load him with ammo and grenades and solo most of it. You have so few soldiers that trying to move them as a group and do normal attacks means you'll end up getting slaughtered. Constantly saving for when something bugs and your guy dies.

Some missions where you are being attacked (the german base where you have to take the radio tower and take out the planes) the allies will just stand there and watch the germans move into position because they may not have hit their trigger point.

The attack on the city where you have to sneak in via the small canal and then open up a way for the tanks and take out the AA guns? Totally bugged. I swung around from behind. Took out the AA guns before taking out the guns to let the tank through. As soon as the tank guns were taken out, the AA gun objective came up and was auto-completed since I did it, and then every single soldier I killed respawned.

Which meant all my guys who were standing where dead soldiers were?
Instantly killed. What a joke.

Also half way through the game the auto-saves stopped..had no idea they were doing that. Even in the missions which have multiple parts. There is no auto-save when you move on to the next part. Which means if you get some bug or something absolutely stupid happens and gets most of your guys killed and you didn't save right away you have to go back to the last part. Hitting restart restarts the entire mission.

the bonus mission good?
played the first one..what a joke.
You have 3 minutes to set up. Takes you time to get there, you've only got like 4 guys and 3 tanks.

Against several waves of germans. You might get lucky for the first 2-3 waves, then the heavy tanks roll in. If you're extremely lucky you can survive until reinforcements show up.
Usually at that point the really heavy tanks show up, my tanks can barely dent them, they blow up all my tanks, the reinforcements roll in, they usually get 1 shotted, and if I'm lucky I've got one tank left.

I won, by having the enemy tanks hit the mines, I had like 4 guys left, no tanks. Managed to nade the heavy tanks, kill the soldiers, and repair one of the really heavy tanks. I was down to 2 guys. I thought it was done. Nope, whole new batch of tanks and soldiers roll in.
Are you kidding me?
3 waves of tanks so heavy your tanks can't even damage them with side shots, and AT nades barely dent them. Luckily with the really heavy german tank I was able to take out 2 of their 4 tanks, they managed to knock a track off me, I had the guys bail (they ruined my turret, funny how I couldn't ruin theirs) , and lead the reamining two tanks across the mines immobilizing them, managed to sneak up on them and nade the guys out and kill them.

I "won" but they still had half a dozen soldiers left, my last remaining guy was shot 1 second after I got the "you won" message. You need at least 5 minutes to setup properly for that mission if you want a fair chance. You can barely have guys lay 1 or 2 sets of mines before the first wave is there, and you need to meta game and know that the heavy tanks come down the left side later on.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossmr View Post
Gotta agree. This is just awful.

It's nearly impossible to capture enemy equipment, you're given a couple soldiers to go against huge odds.

There is still...still still the save game bug of reloading the game (when it doesn't crash) and the enemy knowing your position. Completely ruins some of the saves.

Throwing grenades is a joke. Half the time the guy leans out and throws it in the opposite direction, as if some areas are bugged. You try to hurl a grenade in one direction with no obstruction the guys leans out and hurls it 80 degrees off to the left. Try it again, same direction.

About the only way to play some missions is to get a guy a german machine gun, load him with ammo and grenades and solo most of it. You have so few soldiers that trying to move them as a group and do normal attacks means you'll end up getting slaughtered. Constantly saving for when something bugs and your guy dies.

Some missions where you are being attacked (the german base where you have to take the radio tower and take out the planes) the allies will just stand there and watch the germans move into position because they may not have hit their trigger point.

The attack on the city where you have to sneak in via the small canal and then open up a way for the tanks and take out the AA guns? Totally bugged. I swung around from behind. Took out the AA guns before taking out the guns to let the tank through. As soon as the tank guns were taken out, the AA gun objective came up and was auto-completed since I did it, and then every single soldier I killed respawned.

Which meant all my guys who were standing where dead soldiers were?
Instantly killed. What a joke.

Also half way through the game the auto-saves stopped..had no idea they were doing that. Even in the missions which have multiple parts. There is no auto-save when you move on to the next part. Which means if you get some bug or something absolutely stupid happens and gets most of your guys killed and you didn't save right away you have to go back to the last part. Hitting restart restarts the entire mission.

the bonus mission good?
played the first one..what a joke.
You have 3 minutes to set up. Takes you time to get there, you've only got like 4 guys and 3 tanks.

Against several waves of germans. You might get lucky for the first 2-3 waves, then the heavy tanks roll in. If you're extremely lucky you can survive until reinforcements show up.
Usually at that point the really heavy tanks show up, my tanks can barely dent them, they blow up all my tanks, the reinforcements roll in, they usually get 1 shotted, and if I'm lucky I've got one tank left.

I won, by having the enemy tanks hit the mines, I had like 4 guys left, no tanks. Managed to nade the heavy tanks, kill the soldiers, and repair one of the really heavy tanks. I was down to 2 guys. I thought it was done. Nope, whole new batch of tanks and soldiers roll in.
Are you kidding me?
3 waves of tanks so heavy your tanks can't even damage them with side shots, and AT nades barely dent them. Luckily with the really heavy german tank I was able to take out 2 of their 4 tanks, they managed to knock a track off me, I had the guys bail (they ruined my turret, funny how I couldn't ruin theirs) , and lead the reamining two tanks across the mines immobilizing them, managed to sneak up on them and nade the guys out and kill them.

I "won" but they still had half a dozen soldiers left, my last remaining guy was shot 1 second after I got the "you won" message. You need at least 5 minutes to setup properly for that mission if you want a fair chance. You can barely have guys lay 1 or 2 sets of mines before the first wave is there, and you need to meta game and know that the heavy tanks come down the left side later on.
I still don't have this game yet but your comments make me want to get it today(I'm still playing the other games). The MoW games have always had bugs. A few bugs common with other RTS games and some just with MoW. The "auto-save" one is new to me but easy for me to get around because I constantly save. The bugs can be frustrating at times but there are sooo many more cool things about the MoW games that make the bugs easy to ignore.
It's sounds to me like you play MoW pretty good. Even with the bugs and the odds against you.
My first game was SHoWW2. I used all my C&C, SuddenStrike, and other RTS experence on that game and got my butt kicked. I hated that game at first. Now I get every MoW game that comes out(sooner or later).
There are ways to tweak the game. Ways that can make the odds better for you, and there's probably a way to make that Bonus Mission more fun by giving you more time to setup.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

I played some more of the bonus missions.. there is one where you only get a couple tanks and some artillery.

Enemy infantry can only be killed by explosives from tanks or artillery. How stupid is this? Your 3 tanks are not that strong so they're likely to get taken out. Your guys? Nearly useless at that point. You can't kill enemy infantry. Even by throwing an AT grenade directly on them. They fall down, but no damage. They can kill you any number of ways. So your guys are only useful in that if you can survive invulnerable enemies you can throw AT grenades at the tanks. But the tanks are so heavy that it takes multiple grenades to dent them.

The design decisions on this game just absolutely boggle the mind.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Approved Member

OK, now that would suck!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Approved Member

Just got this game. Now I get it.
First mission(Hard), I survived the first 3 waves(1 Tank, 1 soldier left) and started to take a breath when the 4th wave hit and wiped me out! This game seems like the Hardest. Wouldn't recommend this game for a "First Timer", but for a hardcore fan like me it's another winner.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Iam not such a hardcore player, iam currently on the Icy Font mission where you first have to attack a german base and destroy as many Tanks and AT gund as possible and then you give the signal.
Ive encountered one bug in particular, my guys will often just shoot at the floor or where dead enemies are, even if i move the guys or tell them to stop they start shooting again at nothing, this is incredibly annoying when the mortars do it and kill my soldiers. and iam just like WTF?!?!
Now i managed to destroy 3 of those long range artillery tanks, 2 AT guns and a large part of the trenches, i have 1 AT gun left, 3 mortars and like 5 soldiers so i give the signal for my allies, first of all they have 5 tanks and all but 1 drives into the river SERIOUSELY?? whyyy did they do that. but thats not the worst part, after i gave the signal maybe 30 soldiers, another 2 tanks, some armored vehicles spawn. needless to say my allies have no chance and get screwed.
Its just i mean what where the designers thinking?
do they even test the game before releasing it?
I was looking forward to CH, i imagined large scale infantry charges like in the original MoW when you played the russians, but this one just sucks. i think ill just unlock all missions and skip this one.