Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
maybe aircraft manuals can come included with SOW? Either originals or re-written to include information that is important to SOW. If they were accessible in-game would be cool, even simple text files on disc would be nice.

It's not always easy hunting down original flight manuals and then figuring out what is emulated in the flight model and what is not, having some type of manual included would encourage novices to learn realistic settings. I guess this also depends on how training missions are designed.
I love it! I find it intriguing to read the old manuals to learn about the machines, the pilots requirements, and how to fly better. I also think such a move speaks to how realistic the maker thinks his simulation is. The manuals themselves do not have to be full length with very irellevant (to the pilot flying SoW) detail, but can be a bit condensed. And by now, there is no copyright on the manuals. Can print and sell them. Just need translations.

I will pay a premium for this, and it makes buying the game even more tempting (also for people who might want to get a pirated copy because of convenience or that they think there's nothing the purchased version offers them). It is good business.

Do what was done for Silent Hunter IV Collector's Edition (that I bought). It was not printed in very huge numbers, but people like me loved being able to buy it.

1. A game box made out of thick paper.
2. A large, fold-out map of the theater of operations.
3. Ship recognition guide.
4. Manual, soundtrack CD, game DVD and minor extra goodies.

Keep the map and instead of recognition guide, a pilot's handbook for a few of the aircraft.

Not every customer needs these things. A regular DVD case with disc (or online download, with PDF file) is OK for many. I think for SoW a typical customer would prefer the extra material.

I bought several flight sims even as far back as 1988. In 1990 and 1991 I especially loved "Their Finest Hour" and "F-19 Stealth Fighter". One reason was the great manuals with a lot of things to read and learn about the aircraft, flying and history. I still read them sometimes, because they are still that good.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:46 AM
Approved Member

When the rest of the Horsemen helped Ccrashh test his Korea '51 campaign, he actually printed up the pilots' handbooks for the P-51 and F-80. We flew the campaign with HUDLOG off, and used the recommended engine settings, etc. This gave it a more realistic feel and added some challenge as well.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Approved Member

Hi all,
First to congratulate the team of SoW. BoB on the excellent work we are seeing Friday after Friday.

Ok...sorry for my English...I was use google translation...sry..

In Il2 1946, when we make a sudden maneuver is produced or can produce a "black out" is the only way in which forces reflected "G" excessive, but in reality the driver who performs these move suffers overload whole body and therefore everything it does cost more.
Il2 In this we can not apply such force that we apply to the joystick, it is ""impossible"", but if you use a peripheral where there might be applied G forces blocking their profiles or changing its structure, which is the TrackIR or Freetrack.
I think we can give a little more realistic if an excessive G-force impact on the functioning of the Track-IR / Freetrack or completely block it until the blood drop or raise the head of the feet.
Just an idea
Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.}{.O.R. View Post
Quick question to the TD:

With the new AI, will the patch for team killing AI gunners make it into 4.10? I recall seeing a video which shows work on the AI gunners.
I beleive you mistake the thread for this Question T.}{.O.R.

You should post it here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...=12568&page=37

S!
Old 03-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Approved Member

Thanks, I posted it there.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 03-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Approved Member

What is additional price for a Stuka with light-made chromed gears, air conditioner, hydraulic controls, perolized painting and fog lights?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
Oleg: Can you comment on Buttkicker support for SOW? It works decently in IL-2, but it's a bit "digital"... Wondering if the sound code programmers will pay special attention to this device to smooth out the transitions from on to off in the low frequency range it's designed to operate in...

Using a Buttkicker for sound augmentation is analogous to using a Track IR for view augmentation... It's a big improvement.

Can you comment?
Just come across this post. I very much agree that vibrations from bass shakers enormously increases immersion. My first mod to my IL2 set-up was to simply to feed audio into my seat. Good, and well worth doing, but what made it much better was to feed in FFB signal to feel bumps and thumps on landing and taxiing and vibrations when entering stall and when flying with gear down etc. This was pretty complicated, involving opening up joystick and filtering signal from motors. This would be enormously simpler if the FFB vibration signal was available as an audio signal, maybe through DeviceLink. This would be fed directly into an amplifier without any need for Buttkicker (which I have to say I have not tried). I would imagine it would be very simple to implement in IL2.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugso View Post
This would be enormously simpler if the FFB vibration signal was available as an audio signal, maybe through DeviceLink. This would be fed directly into an amplifier without any need for Buttkicker (which I have to say I have not tried). I would imagine it would be very simple to implement in IL2.
Vibration level is available through device link, and this is (as far as I know) representative of the vibrations that are also used for FF. It is just a number.

You would want some software that could generate sounds repeating at the interval specified to a number it was being fed.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkOwl View Post
Vibration level is available through device link, and this is (as far as I know) representative of the vibrations that are also used for FF. It is just a number.

You would want some software that could generate sounds repeating at the interval specified to a number it was being fed.
I have tried using Vibration Level. We used it to drive a servo motor and it just moved the motor to one position for one level of vibration and then on to another position for the second level of vibration. I used this to drive a mechanical vibrating device on my seat. It was not very good. It is not the same as the signal which goes to FFB. What I am doing is taking the electrical signal fed to my FFB motors, passively filtering the higher frequencies out and it leaves rather nice bumps and rumbles which I feed into my seat. Feels really good, but a lot of tinkering about and modifying was necessary. It could be really easy if this audio signal was available without having to tear my joystick apart. Also I am sure the feeling could be made even better if it was designed in game to be used as audio. It really could be superb, and I would imagine not that difficult to add.