Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 08-28-2019, 06:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music View Post
A few questions and suggestions:

Why do so few planes have full trim, they almost all have ele and rudder trim, I-16 has no ele, but thats the only one I can think of. But so many don't have aileron trim. Is that historically correct, to keep the pilots from setting it up and falling asleep in a 3 hour flight?
As a matter of fact a lot of planes only had elevator trim because thier aileron and rudder trim were set for specific cruising speed and engine settings on the ground, or maybe because it could weight down the plane or create unneccessary complexity for the pilot. The Bf-109 and IL-2 didn't any trim except for elevator for example.
However, I still agree with you about some planes being annoying to fly. I've rummaged through the buttons file and fixed trim setting for some planes already for myself. If you want to alter trim settings for you could DL a decompiler available on modding sites and fiddle with the trim setting in the FMs.

Quote:

Did the P-39 really flat spin so easily? And was there no way to get it out of one, dropping the flaps and gear does nothing, and no matter how close you can get to stabilizing it, it never breaks out of that flat spin.
Oh yes they did. For example, emptying the 37mm cannon's magazine made the p-39's CoG move so far aft that aerobatics were out of question unless you had a death wish, and transfert flight meant that lead weights had to be put in the nose to compensate for CoG shift. IIRC, some Bell engineers had to fly to USSR to see with the Russians how this problem could be resolved.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:04 AM
Approved Member

What about I-16 Type 10? A major version used in Spain, China, Soviet-Japanese border conflict (1938-1939), Soviet invasion of Poland and Winter War, before newer types 18 and 24 were available. Also, it is the only one major I-16 version not included in the game.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
A few questions and suggestions:

Why do so few planes have full trim, they almost all have ele and rudder trim, I-16 has no ele, but thats the only one I can think of. But so many don't have aileron trim. Is that historically correct, to keep the pilots from setting it up and falling asleep in a 3 hour flight?

Is it my bad flying, or is the F6F a concrete pig, it does not climb, and for the Best the Navy had, a Zero Killer, it does not have the maneuverability or acceleration one would expect.

Did the P-39 really flat spin so easily?

Were the Russian planes really that bad,

I like using the clouds as a defense when playing on line, and F6'ing the guy chasing you makes that a even better tactic because it's not to hard to find them when leaving the cloud, But when chasing some one into a cloud, you can tell which way they are going if you can see the outline of your plane. and of course, you know exactly where they are as soon as you break out of the clouds. This suggestion is more for realism.

!
Trim / F6F/ P-39 - I'd suggest to play with your joystick/rudder settings to see what is the best for you in each aircraft. Multiple profiles might not be easy to handle, but they can help.
Spin in P-39 - yes, there are ways to stop it. With significant loss of altitude, of course. I did not fly this bird for years so not able to advise now, but if you search old forums you will find a lot of information. Spin was very hot topic in the community when P-39 was just introduced.

Soviet (not Russian, of course) planes good or bad?
Again, another popular topic of the old days. IMHO, they are not bad or good, just suited for the roles they were designed for. Some of them as La-7 are considered "unrealistically" good according to many "blue" virtual pilots.
If you can beat any La-5FN/7 in your Spit - great for you! Now it's time to turn tables and try La-7 vs Spit - why not?
I have not been on Alex for ages and surprised to learn about deficit of La pilots. In good old days (ah, yes, again...) La-5FN/7 were the most popular a/c of red pilots, especially of novices. And I-185, if available.

Clouds as a defence... I don't use padlock (this is F6, right?) so can not evaluate your suggestion. Just to note that online clouds can be deceptive. What I mean - exact position of the cloud on your PC and your adversary's PC can be slightly different. You might think you are safe but still to be exposed to him.
Otherwise I love "cloud defence". What can be better for the lonely SB-2 jumped by a pair of trigger happy 109F?
Old 08-31-2019, 12:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Some of them as La-7 are considered "unrealistically" good according to many "blue" virtual pilots.
Not according to "blue" pilots. Unrealistically good according to NII VVS tests. Ingame La-7 FM is based on the prototype. La-5F performance is also boosted by around 10%, base La-5 boosted even more. Only the FN is more or less correct, at some altitudes it is actually underperforming. Yaks on the other hand, almost perfect in terms of FM.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:04 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaunt1 View Post
Not according to "blue" pilots. Unrealistically good according to NII VVS tests. Ingame La-7 FM is based on the prototype. La-5F performance is also boosted by around 10%, base La-5 boosted even more. Only the FN is more or less correct, at some altitudes it is actually underperforming. Yaks on the other hand, almost perfect in terms of FM.
Thank you. I hope our remarks will not instigate another round of Holy War so common on forums in "golden days" of this game...
After so many years, I'm content and pacified with what we have. It is what it is and it's up to us to make the best use of what is available...
And my Do 335 is still faster than La-7 !
Old 09-03-2019, 12:56 AM
Approved Member

Indeed, I remember the "Russian planes are over modeled" days. It's not shooting them down that is the true test, (that is hard to do no matter what plane when you have F6 (external padlock)), it's being able to get in a position to do that, or get out of a situation where your opponent is able to do that.

As far as online dog fighting goes, the only planes that are competitive are the Spit 109 and Zero (and a few of the other Japanese planes). The American planes are made to fly straight and fast with a wing man to pick off a plane turning too tight for the lead pilot to follow. Over whelming numerical superiority is needed, and more importantly cooperation.

And the 50cals don't tear things apart like we see in Guncamera footage. I got 18 hits on a NiK2 recently in that F6F late, and all it did was leak fuel. It also took me 10 minutes to get to 3500m, From the east end of Hawaii map to the west end mountain range, and the entire climb was at 260-270km/ph, a sitting duck all the way up. The F4F is a better competitor with planes from it's era than the F6F is with it's class.

The Do335 is becoming popular on the one map it is available, great view from pit, massive guns, and a 1000lb bomb if you want to do a little mission. It may be faster that anything else, but it's can't turn with anything (except maybe a 262).

Cheers!

Last edited by Music; 09-03-2019 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Do335
Old 01-20-2022, 12:03 PM
Approved Member

Default Happy New Year!

As we begin the new year I’ll be thankful again for anything received in the next patch for this great game, as we know it is still a work-in-progress!

But I think it's still important for us to share our wishlists for the future of IL-2:1946 here in the official 1C: Daidalos Team forum, so I dug up this old thread and I'm re-posting a copy of my Daidalos Team wishlist that I posted in the Mission4Today forums last November.

My latest wishes are:

• For the flight model of Hellcats to be reviewed. According to Baball, their lift coefficient was screwed in patch 4.11 causing excess drag and performance loss, and they certainly seem to be under-performing to me and others.

• More Western European and Pacific Theatre aircraft and maps (and more talented FMB users to volunteer to help populate the maps; contact me or _1SMV_Gitano if you want to help).

• A flyable Spitfire Mk.XIV.

• To fix the Destruction Brush bug in FMB where the amount of destruction is randomly increased when saved.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:33 PM
Approved Member

Talking

I agree, more maps please. Particularly Philippines and Poland.

I concur with the need to address the Hellcat. It sucks to not be able to fly it satisfactorily.

New flyable planes are always welcome. I really would live to see the B-26 in particular, as well as the PZL 23 Karas and the PZL 37 Los. I also noticed that the KI 44 iand Mavis flying boat are not represented in the game which surprised me.

I would definitely love to have a Greece nation with speechpack and maps.

I could name other planes but those are my most desired. I am just so grateful for this simulator that encompasses just about every theater of the war. I have devoured all things WWII aviation since I was a kid. This game is my dream come true!

I truly appreciate the continued patches produced by the Diadalos team. Bless you and all your hard work!
Old 06-05-2022, 12:01 AM
Approved Member

Japan needs some more bomber types for late war scenarios as the Ki-21-II and G4M1 can only go so far.

Here are some that would be very easy to add in the meantime as the Ki-67, Ki-49, D4Y, etc. will probably take a bit:

G4M1 - The initial version of the Betty had many modifications; there could easily be 1941, 1942, and 1943 "summarized" versions of the aircraft.

G4M2 and 2a (maybe 3?) - Once later G4M1 models are added these are pretty easy to make (especially with the 2e already being in game). The 2a even easier after the 2. The 3 wasn't used or built nearly as much as the other types, but it might be nice to have.

Ki-21-IIb - Really easy to implement as it requires a new turret and some changes to the canopy.

D3A2 - This is really needed for later 1942 and 1943 Solomons missions. It also had some small carrier usage in 1944.

B6N1 - This isn't as high priority as the others, but this would be nice for some 1943 missions, like Bougainville.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
For the flight model of Hellcats to be reviewed......screwed in patch 4.11 causing excess drag and performance loss
In 4.13.4 the F6F-5 tested speed and climb is correct to common data, both on ADIwep and off. It has a large bonus maneoverability fudge in its flight data already! The 4.13.4 F6F-3 has same engine coding without ADI so I didn't test fly it.

There are lots of cool planes already made for il-2 that mod makers have not ported over to official il2 as mod makers prefer 4.12.2

Its infuriating that even all the super MEGA-mods are missing 1-2 diffferent planes that I would really like for a complete theatre