Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 02-14-2012, 04:41 AM
Approved Member

Treetop is right, I've seen many post saying that people experience overheat too early and then at some point they state they were running 80% pitch in a dive or something. I'm not an expert in IL-2 prop mechanics, but with the P-51 for example, if you really want the thing going, at optimal RPM, the pitch would be around 55%. That is something to keep in mind - proper RPM at a given situation. Another thing is the general engine operating conditions, if you push the plane real hard and the engine is quite hot already, don't expect to go for too long before you experience overheat. Real pilots did everything they could to keep their engines cool before engaging in a fight, that means radiator and pitch management, which most gamers don't care about.

Again I believe this an issue with wrong pitch management. I have read many posts and articles trying to explain how it works in the game, but most of the were general and mentioned stuff like "100% in combat as you need full power", which is just wrong since you need speed in combat and the prop generates a lot of drag. It also affects you maneuverability in some planes. I never use 100% pitch unless for landing and take-off or in steep climb and I have never ever damaged my engine in 4.11. The key is watching the temp indicator not the overheat message. That is what real pilots do, since they don't have a virtual hud to tell them everything.

I think it would be nice if the devs wrote some detailed guide as to how to manage you engine in various planes in different situations.

Anyway, though not being an expert on IL-2, I strongly believe that most of the complaints people make about FMs, engine management and other stuff really come from lack of knowledge on how to do it properly, rather than something being porked.

In other words, it's not the software, it's the user.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaruda View Post
I think it would be nice if the devs wrote some detailed guide as to how to manage you engine in various planes in different situations.
Absolutely. Well overdue. The overheat parameters have been changed/modified, and Team D really does need to put some specific information out on the subject.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Well yes, we could do that, but you wouldn't see any patch in the next three years then.

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible
Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJGr.Ost_Caspar View Post
Well yes, we could do that, but you wouldn't see any patch in the next three years then.
I hope so!

Daidalos team has from the beginning just a job. Complete removal of the red side. 10.1, the Spitfire took from the game and 4.11, the P40 and others. I and many others are out.
Thank you and have fun
Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Approved Member

According to WhistlinggDeath the Spit is far too good and the 190 is "porked" (along with the Corsair)
<a href=http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2954&dateline=1314366190 target=_blank>http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2954&dateline=1314366  190 Salute Jim (Blairgowrie) http://dangerdogz.com
Old 02-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop64 View Post
Also, as has been stated nearly a hundred times in different threads, the triggering of the ENGINE OVERHEAT HUD message is very, very conservative. Unrealistically so. It's display does not indicate imminent engine destruction if you don't immediately pull back on the levers. One should either turn off HUD messages and learn to use the gauges, or simply ignore the OVERHEAT message. Trust me; you'll find that you can reliably push your chosen aircraft much harder, and for a much longer period of time, than you could if you make yourself a slave to the HUD message.
Exactly, people are used to old model where they were able to game the game. Overheat message was sign that timer has started and they could push their plane at full power for the next 3-8 minutes (depending on plane) without the slightest worry.

It is not so now. Overheat message only indicates that damage is possible , higher the temperature bigger are the chances that damage will occur. But if you are just a fraction of degree above the temperature limit "Overheat" message will be displayed but you have better chances to win the lottery than to damage your engine.

OTOH even if you overheat your engine a lot you might get lucky and get away with it without the damage. Just like in RL, you never know what is going to happen, you can't use the stopwatch and exploit simple overheat model like before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pips View Post
Absolutely. Well overdue. The overheat parameters have been changed/modified, and Team D really does need to put some specific information out on the subject.
There is too many planes in the game for that, we can provide free patches but community should do its part too and help with the things like this. You can take your favorite plane and find best settings for it. If some others do the same for their favorite planes, very soon, we will have comprehensive database which might help other players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Z.I View Post
I hope so!

Daidalos team has from the beginning just a job. Complete removal of the red side. 10.1, the Spitfire took from the game and 4.11, the P40 and others. I and many others are out.
Thank you and have fun
We will probably release two more patches this year but as you are out you don't have to worry about it any more. And that's not all, we will not stop until whole planet is blue,hm, maybe it is blue already?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC99 View Post
we can provide free patches but community should do its part too and help with the things like this. You can take your favourite plane and find best settings for it. If some others do the same for their favourite planes, very soon, we will have comprehensive database which might help other players.
Very good idea. I'm sure there are many who could contribute.

Quote:
We will probably release two more patches this year.
Great news

Ashe
Old 02-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
There is too many planes in the game for that, we can provide free patches but community should do its part too and help with the things like this. You can take your favorite plane and find best settings for it. If some others do the same for their favorite planes, very soon, we will have comprehensive database which might help other players.
Even though I can't pose as a spoke person for the end user community, I have to make my deepest apologies on behalf of the community.

I wish you understand that those extreme arrogant whiners does not represent the whole community either.

You have done absolutely very great job to the point I started playing IL-2 again with 4.11 patch, since after CoD IL-2 was just too arcade.

There is no words for me to express my gratitude of that.

S!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop64 View Post
...new overheat model are sired from honest ignorance on how piston aircraft engines actually overheat.
REALLY?

Quote:
Pre 4.11 engine temps were effected more by manifold pressure than by engine RPMs or mixture settings, which simply is not realistic at all. The pre 4.11 engine temp model was a joke, and I, for one, am glad it's been fixed.
REALLY? What about the top realism fame of this game during last ten years? And who grants that's not still so... a joke, I mean?

Actually, heat to waste in internal combustion engine is about three times power developed and this latter is directly proportional to MAP, not to RPM, which is a consequence (that's to say an output, not an input) and, secondarily, by mixture, that contributes to take away some warm before the cooling system does.

There are official values for max time allowed for each power setting in standard atmosphere on aircraft flight manuals: if matched in game they're correctly modeled, otherwise NOT (no matter how many testimonies and fancy theories we can take out).

Regards,
GB
Old 02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

In tests, the Hurricane exceeded allowed water and oil temperatures when flown according to the flight manual, guess it was incorrectly modelled.