Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC99 View Post
Who says that 100% in game is equivalent of nominal power in RL?
Nobody it was only example for nominal power without WEP/incrased emergency systems.

For example RL Spitfire MK IX at nominal power +12 lbs 2850 RPMs could run 1 hour according to manual.

In game SPitfire MK IX at nominal power ( 99% power - 12lbs, 90% prop pitch - 2850 RPM) after few minutes overheat.

I dont test other planes too much but example LA5FN at 100% power and 100% prop pitch (without Forzah) and radiator 6 could fly all day without overheating.

Some wrote about P-40 and overheting issue.

It looks that something is not correct but surly before 4.11 it wasnt ideal too.

I wonder also why still some planes have still WEP/Emergency Power activated by button? Example some Spitfire have WEP activated above 100% power but some earlier model have still WEP actiavated by button even below 100% power. It seemed unrealistic at all if you could turn ON emergency power below nominal power ( below 100%) - it should be only possible with planes with methanol like 109 with MW50.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Approved Member

MW50 did not operate below 100%. It was operated as in the spitfire by the throttle lever. A rod was connected to the bottom of the throttle lever that opened a valve permitting the MW50 to flow but only after the 100% position had been reached. For someone who has created flight model you should know this. Agree though that the recent improvements show that the whole games performance and flight models need an overhaul.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwiatek View Post
For example RL Spitfire MK IX at nominal power +12 lbs 2850 RPMs could run 1 hour according to manual.

In game SPitfire MK IX at nominal power ( 99% power - 12lbs, 90% prop pitch - 2850 RPM) after few minutes overheat.
I just run it under standard atmosphere conditions at 20m ASL and at 1500m ASL. You can run your fuel tanks dry at 2850RPM and 12lb boost and you will not overheat.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Approved Member

Warplanes did not fly level to shoot down other planes, period.

Edit:

About the MW50, the WEP button for MW50 is more like an 'arm' switch. Enabling it doesn't mean MW50 fluid is engaged. To do that you should push your throttle pass 100%.

But the current problem on MW50 boost is that it is not able to be engaged over 4 minutes in dogfight, otherwise the engine will be blown out. And although I don't push my throttle pass 100% while it is armed, it still makes engines overheat faster than it is not armed.

Last edited by jermin; 02-12-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermin View Post
Warplanes did not fly level to shoot down other planes, period.
Last time I checked you can turn, climb and dive with any of the planes in the game. You just have to understand that time limit for various power setting is just one of the limits and it is used in conjunction with other limits.

In other words, if Military setting is allowed for 10 minutes max. that doesn't mean that you can always use it for 10 minutes. It depends on other factors would you be able to squeeze all 10 minutes of Military Power. Very simple example is plane on the ground, there is no plane that will allow you to use full MP time while you are sitting on the ground. Under these conditions your limit will be temperature and that apply for other flight regimes too.

If you dive at full power and your engine is overrevving you must reduce the throttle no matter that you might be still under permitted time for full power.

Quote:
But the current problem on MW50 boost is that it is not able to be engaged over 4 minutes in dogfight, otherwise the engine will be blown out.
There will be some changes regarding MW50 in 4.11.1
Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Good to hear that.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pips View Post
It would be nice then if TD stated just what the heat management parameters were for each aircraft (or group if that's what they've programmed).

At least everyone would know where they stand then, and do much to cut out the quibbling about overheating.
i agree with that.

Quote:

overheat is difeernet from engine blow up. check your temps, if you are in slight over head 1º 2º 3º the engine will not blow up. it wouldnt probably blow up in +20º either. it would simply wear out quicker and be sent to garbage or maintenance sooner.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
You mean like, I can activate it, but it will show no effects unless I pass 100%?

Please say yes.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviar View Post

The P-38 overheats very quickly, especially on a Pacific map. Don't even think about using 100% throttle...even 90% will get you in trouble. Forget about anything higher. Also, other US planes such as the F6F and F4U run much cooler than the P-38. The P-38 in particular just does not seem right....at least when compared to it's contemporaries.

Aviar
According to pilot reports the p38 overheated if the leading edge of the wing was damaged or the turbo was out but otherwise did not really overheat even at excessive boosts. Apparently the turbo blew first.

Note however the anecdotes below are about using high boost for sustained high speed flight. They are NOT talking low speed turn fights, Vx climbs or stall climbs.

Quote:
MAJOR JOHN W. MITCHELL, USAAF and CAPTAIN THOMAS G. LANPHIER, USAAF, P-38 Pilots - Guadalcanal, interviewed Bureau of Aeronautics 18 June 1943 http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Air...dalcanalP-38s/

Page 6 -
... the whole leading edge of the wings is inner-cooled, and a lot of our planes were damaged in the leading edge of the wing, and eventually the motor acted up. In most of our engine failures they've had some warning and feathered the propeller.

Q. Could you use the engine with the turbo cut out?

A. It heats up.

Page 10 -
... we abused the supercharger somewhat. On the mission just mentioned, chasing a Jap full throttle, I was getting about 45 inches and indicating 265-270. Another time I was right down on the tree tops, indicating 310 miles an hour with almost a full ammunition load, full throttle. The needle went clear around past the two so-called stops, to about 10. I guess I was getting about 65 Inches out of each engine, and I held that for about eight or nine minutes, two or three minutes on the ground until the Japs got down to my level. Then, with all that speed, I started to climb, and immediately left them behind. For about eight or nine minutes I gave those two Allisons full power, and the supercharger had turned in long since. Neither engine heated up ...
Old 02-13-2012, 12:36 AM
What the heck...?

I genuinely mean no disrespect by this, but I think that many (not all, but many) of the complaints of the new overheat model are sired from honest ignorance on how piston aircraft engines actually overheat.

Pre 4.11 engine temps were effected more by manifold pressure than by engine RPMs or mixture settings, which simply is not realistic at all. The pre 4.11 engine temp model was a joke, and I, for one, am glad it's been fixed.

With 4.11 you actually have to resort to some semblance of real-world procedures to manage engine temps in a given situation, and for many of us that meant re-learning how to fly aircraft in the sim that we may have long-since established methods of getting the most out of. It's inevitable that there will be some resistance to do that. More than ever before engine RPMs and mixture settings have more of an effect on temps, as it should be.

Also, as has been stated nearly a hundred times in different threads, the triggering of the ENGINE OVERHEAT HUD message is very, very conservative. Unrealistically so. It's display does not indicate imminent engine destruction if you don't immediately pull back on the levers. One should either turn off HUD messages and learn to use the gauges, or simply ignore the OVERHEAT message. Trust me; you'll find that you can reliably push your chosen aircraft much harder, and for a much longer period of time, than you could if you make yourself a slave to the HUD message.