Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Approved Member

Regarding Overheat and Oil temps. Within IL2 the critical Oil temp wrt overheating is the Oil "OUT" temperature however the gauge is Oil "IN" temperature which is always cooler. As can be seen in the Merlin data below (Spit II) Oil out is on average 15-20C warmer than Oil in. These routines will be tweaked further.

Last edited by IvanK; 01-13-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Approved Member

Great... I am very happy and excited for this direction...

.. this development of CEM means that by managing your engine effectively ( A MUST) and keeping a good temp/RPM etc on your engine, whilst your enemy does not... may actually lead to a big tactical advantage.... you might even catch a on the paper faster airplane because he has an overheated engine..or he has to be careful because he is on the verge on wrecking it.. (mismanaged it) This was true before but even more so now.
This means .. again.. that the PILOT is even more important than the plane than before... smart able pilots have the advantage.
thumbs up! No more pilots with cruising power 90%

PS thanx for the explanation with oil in/out.. makes sense..
Is there any documentation to see which planes measure oil in/out...? or is the "in" temperature more of a rule?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:11 PM
71st_Mastiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJGr.Ost_Caspar View Post
Check your keys! All Spitfires have a manually prop pitch. From MK.VIII upward they also have additional auto prop pitch.

EDIT: And don't go for the gauges. They are not completely reliable. Also they maybe show radiator exit temp.
I dont mean the prop pitch doesnt work as in using it, it does'nt work like it should be modeled in the game. I lower to about 2600-2700 rpm my plane should not drop from 230 knts to 190 knts. I should be getting around 260 knts with the settings of say 80% prop pitch just like in CLOD.
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc
Old 01-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Approved Member

I have not had a chance to DL yet but am curious if there is now an added ability to manipulate oil coolers separately from the radiators for applicable aircraft?
Old 01-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWMV View Post
I have not had a chance to DL yet but am curious if there is now an added ability to manipulate oil coolers separately from the radiators for applicable aircraft?

No
Old 01-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Approved Member

I am not sure if new heat modelling will make flying more difficult. I got impression that only stall fighting will be hurt, and high speed fighting will even benefit, because it seems that speed contributes more to cooling than previously.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Approved Member

for those wanting to see actual figures for oil temp in/out- can i suggest devicelink.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jn6ygq5jbb58tv3

this gives digital readouts of OTI and OTO (ON A SEPARATE COMPUTER )- and of course this only works offline

more info on devicelink here
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...s-thread/page5
Old 01-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Approved Member

Excessive over-heating has always been one of the weakest aspects of Il-2. 4.11 makes it much, much worse.

In one of my first tests I had the cowl flaps all the way open on the Ki84, at 66% throttle, in level flight, and the overheat message would not go away.

Pilots did not reduce power during normal operations to prevent the engine from immediately breaking; they did it to extend the life of the engine and reduce the frequency of overhauls.

I love the new AI, but this overheat business is such a step backward that I will probably stick with 4.10 for as long as possible.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavagai View Post
In one of my first tests I had the cowl flaps all the way open on the Ki84, at 66% throttle, in level flight, and the overheat message would not go away.
How was your fuel mixture...?
Did you overheat the engine too much to start with ?
What were your engine revs ?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:35 AM
Approved Member

I also think the overheating is a bit too aggressive.

So far I've only tried Bf-109K-4C3. I made a duel quick mission with Yak-3P on Cremia. Upon spawning midair, I pushed forward the throttle to maximum 110% with MW50 enabled. After about 2 minutes into the flight I got an overheating message.

I had a feeling that the enabling of MW50 speeds up the overheating. But isn't MW50 supposed to cool down the engine instead?

During the dogfight, I had to keep the throttle down below 70% (MW50 is automatically disabled under 100% power) to keep the engine cool. However, with this setup, I would soon run out of energy and could only fly straight.

Edit: Sorry, I timed it. It was only 53 seconds into flight.

Last edited by jermin; 01-15-2012 at 08:28 AM.