Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 04-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Approved Member

Default Launcher.exe closing after 5 seconds, no error message

I've browsed here and through other forums for solutions to this really annoying issue but I've found none at all.

The plot is: rusty mug-flier buys the Russian version (physical copy), installs Steam and Cliffs of Dover, ran the additional installers (only decided to do so after reinstalling it once; all told me everything was up to date, but reinstalled/repaired them anyway, no change in behaviour by our lovely stray exe), glances in amusement at the rather cool artwork in the box cover, stares deeply into RAF roundels eyes and, after a second's hesitation, clicks on it. Steam window shows up claiming it's preparing to launch Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (tear stars forming upon reading the name), little spinning blue ring appears next to cursor (Vista 32-bit, all up-to-date)... *dramatic pause, eyes wide open with anxiety* Little blue ring disappears... *"coming at any time now"* ... *longer pause* ...*popping noise, racing heartbeat, flashing icon on toolbar, cursor rushes to check it out* ...Skype: "Hey"

...and that's it. No sign of the Launcher under the Processes tab, no error message, and I had a nice chat over Skype and went to bed laughing at some joke.

...but I'm still sort of annoyed by the Launcher.

So, just to clear some things up for anyone interested (rrrrrright.) in helping or at least reading this to kill time until Top Gear or whatever's on, I'm not an AVG user (not that it'd've mattered now anyway, since the patch covered it), I'm running Avira AntiVir. Launcher.exe does open, as checked with Task Manager open, at the very time the mystical blue ring's there (taking only around 16K in memory or so), but it only lasts for a few seconds, before vanishing without any notice. So basically, it opens, and it closes, and well, that's quite it, really.

Rig meets the specs.

Any guesses?
Old 04-10-2011, 12:37 AM
Approved Member

I believe you should try to launch the game from steam game list, (if you were using a shortcut before).
Intel Core™ i7 980X Extreme Edition
Asus Rampage III Extreme
G.Skill Extreme3 3 x 2 Go PC16000 Ripjaws CAS 9
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1,5 Go Superclocked
Old 04-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Approved Member

Already tried (actually, it was the first thing I tried), the results are pretty much the same, I'm afraid. Sucky thing is, apparently I'm the only lucky fellow awarded with such issue... But thanks for helping, either way
Old 04-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

let me guess - nvidia 480 gtx?

i have the same issue

my rig:

intel k875 i7
8 GB RAM
nvidia 480 GTX
tried latest driver and beta

doesn't even start

my sons rig:

intel core2duo e6600
4 gb RAM
ati 4870

runs...

same win 7 x64
Old 04-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Approved Member

Actually GeForce GT 120, but we're on the same boat, sadly...
Old 04-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Approved Member

You and a lot of other people - enough for there to be a poll about it.

I cannot get it running on my newer PC (also Nvidea 470) but my old PC (nvidea 275) will run it - slowly!