Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 05-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Approved Member

1)COH is too arcade with abilities and cooldowns which sucks.2)No base building and being sent to the start if i tank gets thru.3)In COH multiplayer there are many ways you can basically cheat.4)MOW has locational vehicle dmg and damage modelling.5)MOW has projectile physics, no shells turning corners or going through hills.6)Inventory system ie losing your bazooka man doesn't lose you the bazooka.7)tactics WORK in MOW.COH is seen as a claasic so it shouldn't be worse than a little game like MOW but it is.9)MOW has hilarious voices, 'For the Motherland' is the thing an American would be least likely to say.10)End rant.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeesFluitman View Post
Maybe it's not wise to compare these games.
Except for the World War two setting and the Genre RTS, they really have few things in common.

My statement has always been that games are games and there is always something which isnt realistic about it.

I don't think a man looking for a little dog will like the neighbor's big one.

and for your statements Mkilbride, you don't sound much like a good Company of Heroes player. You don't make the game like you, you have to learn to like the game. That way you'll also understand the ways of winning battles. Micro is an often used term for these things.
The thing is COH is nothing more than an arcadey RTS game where as MOW is or has much more realism,& if i personaly am playing a WW2 Strategy Game,atleast a degree of realism for me is required,& for me COH has no realism whats so ever,its the RTS equivlent of fighting soccer that footie game where you were actually alloud to beat up the apponents,maybe abit of fun for some people out there but without realism lasting ability dosnt go on for long.

Why?.Because people like to try different strategies & idea's on how to defeat the bad guys,but arcade style games usually have only 1 way to do that,that being,overwelm your enemies with larger forces.

Also in fairness to the negative comments of voice acting,there suppose to be troop voices,& troops are generaly not known for there intelligents or acting ability,so having gooky or crap talking soldiers i think is quite realistic.

Last edited by Morgoth; 05-14-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowlinger View Post
#1 reason why MoW is better than CoW?

The engine is completely mod friendly....

The community already has projects in the works for conversions of the engine for Mechwarrior, Korea, Civilwar, Starwars... etc you name it.

Can you do this with anything from Relic? Nada!
Id love them to use this engine & kinda playing with Warhammer 40,000,as i feel the present Warhammer games are to arcadey & would be much better suited to this way of playing.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Approved Member

i have only ONE reason and for me it is deciceive and that is in this game u DONT have to gather resorces i get soo annoyed when i have to consetrate grathering resorces rather that fighting the enmy
Old 05-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Default Men of war better than COH

Yes and ......no

Better realism and details

Worse (overburdening) in single player playability

Why, for a simple reason that all units need intense over the top micro which leads (at least me) to the using of the pause key more than anything else.

I play the german campaing of MOW and i had quite a few moments where i was on the edge of smashing the keyboard.

1st mision - annoying paras dropping from the sky set on "move at will" which lead to hideous unneccesary losses and me preocuppied more with chasing them and cursing "stop rushing the enemy you f...ng morons" than actual tactics.A gathering point that you could set up, would be nice.

Also some disparities in accuracy to range, between different weapons (aa quad gun killing my heavy 90 mil aa gun on max range, which was unable to hit anything, both in normal, or direct fire).

2nd mission 35 mil paks in "defensive positions".
Well those "defensive positions" are soo "good" that when you get the camera down on the ground, you see that they are on the open height, like on a piedestal, just waiting to be ripped to pieces with the first shell.
Aggain micro is needed to get them a little bit back. However in a (bad )tradition of previous similar games like "Soldiers HOWW" you dont have even a couple of seconds to look at yout troops, or positions, before the enemy starts rushing, pause, pause, pause, pause

Also why are soldiers given only a few rounds for a rifle or smg while the rest is in those damn crates.?
Pause, pause, pause, for every god damn soldier if you dont want them to run out of ammo in the mid of a fight.

Also my 88s cant hit anything(same for tanks) on any longer range if i don go direct controll, even then, its frustrating. On the other side those gyroscope stabilised british Crusaders and Matildas score every hit on my flak no matter how much you put them on the revers slope to be in a "hull down position" (i know its a term for tanks but i think you get the point).

Also tanks can see infantry in high bushes

This game is not ment to be played with whole armies under comand at least not with ai and accuracy of units now.

Last edited by Alter Hase; 05-17-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

I've played CoH for quite some time and I love it. I'm just starting to get into MoW now but wow I thought CoH had a huge learning curve but it's nothing compared to this. I know it will get easier with time but there's just too much micro needed in MoW. Example: I have 20 men and one picks up some nades, later I need to throw a nade at the enemy in a house but it takes me 5 minutes of searching through each man to find out which one has them.
I just find that I haven't got time to think about tactics and enjoy the game because of the intense micro needed to look after 30+ units, so after about 20 minutes I give up and go back to my comfortable CoH.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Banned

You do know that all you has to do, is to click on the "throw handgrenade" icon and the guy with the handgrenade, will automatically pull out the grenade and throw it where you want it to be thrown?

~Zeke.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

I'm sorry Meep, but you are comparing really inapropriately.
1CoH and MoW are two totally different things. While MoW tries to implement as many features of a real war as possible, CoH tries to be an action-packed RTS, inheriting years and years of RTS tradition and experience. There are pros and cons in both games:
MoW:
Pros:
+ realism
+ inventory for all units
+ totally dynamic battlefield
+ a lot of different units
+ very long SP campaign
+ coop mode
+ a lot of customizations possible
+ giant maps

Cons:
- unbalanced due to super heavy tanks and generally the amount of possible unit combinations
- bad interface due to the many possibilities you have
- bad hotkey assignment: CTRL is for making control groups, dammit, it's been so even before C&C 1
- not being able to have more than 8 units in a control group, restricting the player to micromanaging his whole army, when a simple "all guys move over here" would have been enough
- no skirmish mode
- steep learning curve
- very bad voice acting (at least in my German version, ALL vocies are spoked by like 3 guys who have a very bad English, not only when synchronizing Germans. In fact, even Soviets and Americans have a German accent!)
- giant maps (if you want arcade-like action)

CoH:
+ fast-paced action: Due to the command point/resource system, you are constantly forced to push and cap/defend your resources and produce new units
+ squad-based control: different from MoW, the amount of micro needed to manage a squad is reduced by making all of its members one squad. Thus, it's easy to control your whole army.
+ Unit & Command abilities: brings some fresh air into the action, can turn the tide of a battle; games would be much more predictable without them
+ well-balanced RTS: no matter how much the people bitch about CoH after every single patch, you can beat every army with every army. There is a counter to everything, also to British Emplacement Spam (e.g. Flamepio Storm)
+ Long SP campaign with top-notch videos
+ Good voice acting, in English AND German
+ three new MP modes came with ToV
+ SKIRMISH mode

Cons:
- not very realistic (although a lot better than, say, End War or Command & Conquer)
- unit speed: infantry is almost as fat as slower tanks, fireup infantry is faster than heavy axis tanks
- Unlimited Munitions and Ammo, no supply lines
- relatively small maps (Mg's and PAKs can easily block every access to a certain area)
- Relic Online still lets players drop or doesn't allow you to connect to another player, even if he lives like 3 streets away from you
- some abilities really are Uber and make people build their whole strategy on: cloak + nades on stormtroops, fireup on rangers
- allround-units: especially Americans have units that can basically kill anything on the field (rangers, rifles to a smaller degree), without a cost-efficient counter on the Axis side.
- micro is what matters, not so much your strategy

To draw a conclusion:
If you want a very realistic, very tactical game where you have to cover your every move, and like combos such as "Oh yeah, my 3 hidden snipers deal with infantry, while my grenadier jumps out of the tank and kills the pershing with an AT grenade, while my tank kills the enemy arty with HE rounds", then MoW is your game.
If you prefer action, a limited, yet well-balanced amout of units, and a game where your reactions and hotkey-smashing wins you the game, pumping your adrenaline though your veins, then CoH is the game for you.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

German tanks are still too weak, not because of their gun penetration, speed, or armor ,but their horrible gun accuracy even when i send a Tiger aggainst totaly ineferior machines i sweat like i was sending panzer 3 aggainst a Valnetine.
Ammo goes thru the window too fast because of this, not even soviet tanks with badly trained crews(modeled ingame) should be unable to miss shots that a Tiger is missing in this game
And if my Tiger does not hit the enemy tank with, at worst 2, shots (which happens duh never) they destroy my tracks like they were nothing (interesting enemy ai tanks, which are inferior hit tracks which are extremly small targets, like modern Abrams, but my guys miss the whole target ).

PS are ther maybe Italins in german tanks, because that would explain a lot.

Last edited by Alter Hase; 05-18-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Hase View Post
horrible gun accuracy
Direct Control anybody? Your problem is fixed.