Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Approved Member

Default Best General of WW2?

In your opinion who was the best General of WW2.

In terms of accomplishments. Manstein has the most and biggest accomplishments.

1. Made plan for the invasion of France.

2. Led the 11th army to victory in Crimea, and was promoted to Field Marshall for it.

3. Stopped the Soviet Winter Offensive of 1943 dead in it's tracks by smashing the Popov group, destroying 50 enemy divisions.

4. Led his troops well at Kursk.

5. Continued to fight hard against the Russians in Ukraine, and would have held them off for much longer had it not been for Hitler's horrible strategic policy.

6. Contributed to the strategic and tactical planning of numerous other operations, big and small.

For these reasons I rank him #1.

Although Guderian cannot be overlooked, while his accomplishments on the battlefield weren't as grand as Manstein. He preformed very well in France and Russia where he led Panzers in the offensive. His greatest accomplishment was off the battlefield though, for he invented the concept of Modern Mobile Warfare.

And of course Rommel has a place in my heart, for no other general on earth could do so much with so few. An extra division and sufficient supplies would have taken him all the way to Iraq, Iran, and the Southern Caucuses.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Approved Member

50 Divisions, dang...thats alot of stuff and men..ouch
Old 04-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Approved Member

I say thank god for Hitler. War was inevitable, and I'm glad a fool like him lost the war for Germany, came close though. I agree, Manstein is a machine. He just wasn't used properly.

I wonder what the Soviets did to him after his capture in Stalingrad.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Approved Member

My guess is line him up w/ a few hundered other German troops and got out the ol' DP w/ a squad of PPSH's and cut loose.....
Old 04-17-2010, 01:36 AM
Approved Member

Yeah. Maybe he met with Stalin before that. He may have been put into a Gulag, but thats only a possibility. I never really looked it up.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Approved Member

Just looked it up. It turns out he lived until 1973, death by natural causes. If I was not busy at that date I would have looked him up.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post
I say thank god for Hitler. War was inevitable, and I'm glad a fool like him lost the war for Germany, came close though. I agree, Manstein is a machine. He just wasn't used properly.

Are you retarded? That was Paulus, not Manstein. Paulus was the worst German Field Marshall that ever lived, a disgrace.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM_Von_Manstein View Post
3. Stopped the Soviet Winter Offensive of 1943 dead in it's tracks by smashing the Popov group, destroying 50 enemy divisions.
Which means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING because each Soviet division was understrength in the extreme during that time. 1000-2000 men per division.

Also destroying =! killing/capturing all soldiers in that division.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
50 Divisions, dang...thats alot of stuff and men..ouch
Look at the post above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post

Uhh, are you retarded? Hitler was the greatest monster in the XX century. In just 4 years he was directly responsible for the death of ~23 million people (most of them Soviets), and many, many more indirect deaths.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitns View Post
Which means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING because each Soviet division was understrength in the extreme during that time. 1000-2000 men per division.

Also destroying =! killing/capturing all soldiers in that division.
Well if it hadn't been stopped Germany would have lost much much sooner. It means something kid.

Quote:
In just 4 years he was directly responsible for the death of ~23 million people (most of them Soviets), and many, many more indirect deaths.

The deaths of soviets sounds pretty good to me. I'm pretty sure the tens millions of people that suffered under Soviet occupation and communist rule would agree with that statement.
Closed Thread