Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Approved Member

What, you guys can't read my mind? Good points, i guess what I write for my own use is a little sparse.

1. Artwork comment was for me. I was going to keep it simple, probably just add some RAF and LW pilot's wings. Unless anyone has other suggestions.
2. Squadron page. If I were to create a blank page that users could write in their own info, what general categories would be useful?
3. Verify procedures. Since the procedures are from real life, I have tried to annotate those that aren't modeled in game with BROWN font color. For example, all the times the historical procedures call for "priming the engine", etc. Since priming pumps aren't modeled, there is no need to execute that step. I don't want to delete it for historical purposes, but maybe I should. Any thoughts?
4. BIG IMPORTANT QUESTION. Are the Spits and Hurris modeled with 87 or 100 octane fuel? I have engine limits for both, just need to know which to include.
5. Ammo smoke trails. I think I have properly annotated which ammo leaves smoke trails base on historical data, but which ammo in game smokes?
6. I am thinking of adding a "game errata" page to list things the game has backwards or in error. Examples are GM2 MkII sight range issue, 109 prop pitch key bindings reversed, etc. I am hesitant to do this however as I hope they will soon be corrected.

Thanks for everyone's input. If I confuse you, please say so or ask for clarification. I want to have the best possible document for the NA release. Btw, I am doing this from my phone, so please excuse typos, etc.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Approved Member

Just chiming in with a bit of personal opinion, so don't treat this as a demand or anything.

If i were in your shoes i would keep the historical checklists without deleting anything. Annotating the parts that are not modeled in the sim is good enough and would save you a lot of time if we got more switches in the cockpit to play with in the future: instead of having to retype them you'd only have to change the font color and republish the PDF.

As for the octane issue again, i would include power settings for both. The situation is a bit uncertain at the moment but even when all things are corrected, i suspect the 87 octane variants will remain in the sim. They are useful for earlier battle of France scenarios (we do have a sizable chunk of map and early axis and allied aircraft, so someone's bound to do it) and as such, a likely outcome of the octane debates is that we might get extra variants in some patch instead of just reworking the existing ones.

Using the Spitfire Mk.I as an example, we might end up a variant modelling 87 octane fuel and two-stage or even fixed pitch propeller, another one with 100 octane and two-stage prop, another with 100 octane and constant speed propeller, etc. Then it would be up to the mission designer and server admins to decide which one to use, depending on the scenario.

In such a case, including all the engine operating limits would not go to waste and once more, it's a bit of extra typing now that can save you the hassle of possibly having to go back and edit it in at a later date.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Approved Member

Very nice so far!