Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:26 AM
Approved Member

Check out this link:

http://hansebund.ru/forum/index.php/...n.html#msg5413
Old 11-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for the great link!!!

It sure is a beautiful aircraft.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 11-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaQSoN View Post
Thanks for the link, great pics. Such a good restoration but the airfield looks like it's been abandoned, is this common in russia? It's funny how it looks like such a modern design but from what I've read it couldn't compete in dogfights with the Bf 109, I wonder if it was the pilot training or the aircraft that caused that.

I've been flying the Mig for a bit in Il2 and its not a bad plane, esp. the 2xShvaK model, it's no La-5 but was it really this good IRL? But of course the 3d model and esp. the cockpit are dated.

Last edited by Tempest123; 11-20-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest123 View Post
Thanks for the link, great pics. Such a good restoration but the airfield looks like it's been abandoned, is this common in russia?
As far, as I can tell, this airfield belongs to some aircraft repair factory, which doesn't have need to maintain it to a highest standards. Besides, I wouldn't tell, it is in too bad shape if you look at the airstrip itself. It's just a tarmac in front of the Aviarestavratzia hangar, that looks abandoned.

Commercial and military airfields are well maintained, though.

Quote:
It's funny how it looks like such a modern design but from what I've read it couldn't compete in dogfights with the Bf 109, I wonder if it was the pilot training or the aircraft that caused that.
MiG-3 was designed as high-altitude interceptor. While previously most of the USSR fighters were aimed for a high maneuverability at low and medium alt. So, basically, it is the same story as with Japanese Ki-44. At the time, the plane become available, the VVS didn't have a suitable tactics for it. More over, when the war started it was forced by a circumstances to act in non-favorable conditions, for which it was not designed for.
However, some pilots, managed to use it's advantages and performed very well in it. One of the most famous Soviet aces, Pokrishkin earned his first victories in MiG-3 and kept it in high regard. But then again, he used a correct tactics for the plane, avoiding dogfights and using BnZ tactics.

Quote:
I've been flying the Mig for a bit in Il2 and its not a bad plane, esp. the 2xShvaK model, it's no La-5 but was it really this good IRL? But of course the 3d model and esp. the cockpit are dated.
I think, it's fairly well modeled form FM point of view.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Approved Member

I realy enjoy the mig-3. Weapons on it is kinda well...some good some bad......

It comes down to how you fly the plane. Normaly i go to some aviation site where i read about the planes operations, and try to adopt a flying style that is most suitet for the plane type.

What i in general are using is z&b in all planes, just work within the limitations of altitude and speed. Even the zero is a decent B&z`er if you keep it within its envolope...

The biggest isue we have from the RL war and our sim war is that we have the info on what some did wrong, or what they didnt figure out, so we can use the wastness of information to avoid the same errors, and that will make some planes look and fly better in a online world than reportet by RL history....

The Mig-3 ran into that problem for me on a online server last night, i shot down a few 109`s and ended up in a debate about FM`s and UFO`s.....
Old 11-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Approved Member

The biggest problem I have flying the MiG is that the armament is largely inadequate on normal front line models (1xUB and 2xShKAS) and it's maneuverability during a boom and zoom mean that if the enemy evades at all ... he'll get away. It's quite unlike other boom and zoom types that I'm used to. So I usually end up bleeding some speed to get a shot in and the 109 is also more agile. MiG has to be the most frustrating aircraft for me. The poor visibility for deflection gunnery doesn't help either

Any tips on overcoming these?

For the record I flew the entire MiG-3 campaign that comes with IL-2 1946 and it was a painful experience

Last edited by IceFire; 11-21-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
My vote for worst cockpit in game is the PZL P11c. What a visual nightmare.

Basically the PZL P11c was Il2's first ever officially approved user mod

If I remember correctly it was developed by an enthusiast and included as a bonus with the original IL2.

As far as i know the cockpit, damage model and FM have remained pretty much intact since the original version. The damage model is very strong you can ram with a PZL Pllc and rip wings off other planes and fly away intact. The main issue with the FM is that Vmax is substantially below what the real aircraft could achieve.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
The biggest problem I have flying the MiG is that the armament is largely inadequate on normal front line models (1xUB and 2xShKAS) and it's maneuverability during a boom and zoom mean that if the enemy evades at all ... he'll get away. It's quite unlike other boom and zoom types that I'm used to. So I usually end up bleeding some speed to get a shot in and the 109 is also more agile. MiG has to be the most frustrating aircraft for me. The poor visibility for deflection gunnery doesn't help either

Any tips on overcoming these?

For the record I flew the entire MiG-3 campaign that comes with IL-2 1946 and it was a painful experience
I don't have any tips on overcoming the poor armament, but its a dog at low alitudes. Like you said, once you build dive speed, you lose the maneuvarability to put the guns on target. This works fine with a real human who hasn't seen you dive on them, but of course with the AI you can't "bounce" them, they always know where you are.
I find that forcing the fight up instead of down works sometimes, and always use rudder and aileron together, it will help the roll a lot. It is one of the fastest 1941 aircraft in the game at high altitudes, faster than a 109F. I tend to disengage if the opponent goes down low, cuz you will have a tough time.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I don't have any tips on overcoming the poor armament, but its a dog at low alitudes. Like you said, once you build dive speed, you lose the maneuvarability to put the guns on target. This works fine with a real human who hasn't seen you dive on them, but of course with the AI you can't "bounce" them, they always know where you are.
I find that forcing the fight up instead of down works sometimes, and always use rudder and aileron together, it will help the roll a lot. It is one of the fastest 1941 aircraft in the game at high altitudes, faster than a 109F. I tend to disengage if the opponent goes down low, cuz you will have a tough time.
Must have been a real nightmare when MiG's were forced down low on tactical missions which is what the VVS was doing quite often. Indeed I've seen the MiG-3 in even the 1940 model act like a sort of hotrod as it can overtake many earlier types but it certainly has no ability to turn with them. It makes the FW190 look like a turn fighter sometimes
Old 11-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Must have been a real nightmare when MiG's were forced down low on tactical missions which is what the VVS was doing quite often. Indeed I've seen the MiG-3 in even the 1940 model act like a sort of hotrod as it can overtake many earlier types but it certainly has no ability to turn with them. It makes the FW190 look like a turn fighter sometimes
In my humble opinion, the MiG3 is an energy fighter, not a boom and zoomer. If you have too much speed, climb. At moderate speeds it turns quite well, so go up rather than gain speed, if the enemy follows you up you'll out turn him.

I do prefer the twin SHVAK models, and so far I've only played offline.

Last edited by Igo kyu; 11-22-2010 at 12:09 AM.