Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Approved Member

Thanks everyone for your help, but I still need more help with this. We didn't have questions about the map contents per se. We're actually pretty good on the content. We already have a high-res map of our area, which is what would be printed. We just don't know what to print it on, and how to print it.

And I'm still not sure whether this would need to be on cloth, silk, or paper. But since no one seemed to know much about these even on a forum full of aviation experts, I'm guessing the materials won't be a major deal, as long as the map itself is good.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
Thanks everyone for your help, but I still need more help with this ... We just don't know what to print it on, and how to print it.
This sounds like a great idea Luthier. I am sure someone at the Imperial War Museum or RAF Museum, both in London, will have the answer to this.

Imperial War Museum London

Telephone: +44 20 7416 5320
Email: mail@iwm.org.uk
Web: www.iwm.org.uk

RAF Museum

Research requests via http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/enquiries.cfm
Email: london@rafmuseum.org
Telephone: +44 20 8205 2266

I live in London and am happy to make some calls if this helps.

PPanPan
Old 10-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Approved Member

... also Luthier, check out these dealers in old war maps. They may be able to help too:

http://www.aviation-antiques.com/maps-1.html - for example, see (BRITISH) WAR OFFICE 1942 LE HAVRE FRANCE, the last map on page 1

http://www.maps-charts.com/Maps_war.htm - see the last map on page 1, Skye and Outer Herbrides [Scotland], 4th ed. 1940, which is stated to be 'cloth backed'

Good luck

PPanPan
Old 10-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
But since no one seemed to know much about these even on a forum full of aviation experts, I'm guessing the materials won't be a major deal, as long as the map itself is good.

Hey not so fast, the experts don't usually arrive till page 9 or 10 of a thread

also, I'm pleased to learn that there will be a boxed version for purchase, thanks

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5

Last edited by SlipBall; 10-21-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Approved Member

in the map use NATO symbols? AMERICAN use nato symbol and GERMAN? wht symbol use to map? symbols
war.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilon_x View Post
in the map use NATO symbols? AMERICAN use nato symbol and GERMAN? wht symbol use to map? symbols
war.

"American use NATO"...I think NATO started much time after the war end

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 10-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Approved Member

yes but American angloamerican or allied invade ITALY and use this symbol?

this is ww2 not over ww2 time.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help, but I still need more help with this. We didn't have questions about the map contents per se. We're actually pretty good on the content. We already have a high-res map of our area, which is what would be printed. We just don't know what to print it on, and how to print it.

And I'm still not sure whether this would need to be on cloth, silk, or paper. But since no one seemed to know much about these even on a forum full of aviation experts, I'm guessing the materials won't be a major deal, as long as the map itself is good.
Somewhere I have a topographic map of the 1920's. It is paper sticked on linen. I will leave for the weekend now but when I'm back I will prepare some photos for you, Luthier.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Approved Member

If it's an escape and evasion map, it'll be usually be silk. If it's an aeronautical chart, it'll be on paper. You really do have some latitude on how it's printed - especially if you're not actually reproducing a period map.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Approved Member

I have a 1930's RAF map of the south east of England. It is paper on open weave linen. I am at work at the moment. I will post more details when I get home.

RedToo.

43 Squadron.

My 'Waiting for Clodo' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee