Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Approved Member

Cool. Thanks for the info B6.
SSD: Intel 520 Series 240GB
HDD: WD Black 1000GB (1TB)
MoBo: ASUS P8Z77-V Socket 1155 Intel Z77 Chipset
Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Approved Member

please do not let the clodo engine die,
release part of code source for the community / modder
or aircraft / terran builder

make a last gift for your fan and cliffs of dover user...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploughman View Post
Er. You telling me CLoD and it's engine died today? That the franchise is over, that Luthier and Maddox Games and Oleg and all that is over and the name's been sold or given over to 777 and their engine to exploit?

Put a shine on it if you like, but this is a kick in the nuts.
I have to say that I welcome this news! I don't understand your attitude at all, Ploughman. Do you know the 1C Maddox Games team personally? Did you spend sleepness nights sat up late discussing concepts with Oleg all those years ago? I know this may sound incredibly mercenary to some but this merger means one thing to me:

A working WW2 flight simulator to be released relatively soon which will attract more players and, though it may need a bit of patching (As all software tends to), will be playable out of the box for a vast number of people..... cue: Good reviews! More pilots! Filled servers! Less complaining!

This is fantastic news! Perhaps not for Maddox Games... perhaps not for the old development team... perhaps not for Oleg.....

... But great news for us!

Anyway... I now have CloD working pretty well! I'm sure others will still play it online and, if not, there is a wealth of single player missions out there now so..... COOL! I will now have TWO WW2 flight simulators on my hard drive!

Last edited by Volksieg; 12-11-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek View Post
If the number of objects in IL2:BoS is as absurd low as in RoF it really doesn't matter how wonderful the planes will be, Eastern Front was a ground war with air support not the other way around, no way to simulate that with the actual RoF engine limitations.
I rarely agree with robtek but this is true. I am concerned about the mapping engine, IL2 is way ahead of ROF when it comes to maps, and the scripting in clod is powerful - We at Storm of War run a custom Fighter Command system in Multiplayer which handles human groups and vectoring information.

This is a message to get across.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Approved Member

Well... we live in hope. Just because ROF can't do these things it doesn't necessarily mean the engine cannot. Fingers crossed and all that! lol
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volksieg View Post
I have to say that I welcome this news! I don't understand your attitude at all, Ploughman. Do you know the 1C Maddox Games team personally? Did you spend sleepness nights sat up late discussing concepts with Oleg all those years ago? I know this may sound incredibly mercenary to some but this merger means one thing to me:

A working WW2 flight simulator to be released relatively soon which will attract more players and, though it may need a bit of patching (As all software tends to), will be playable out of the box for a vast number of people..... cue: Good reviews! More pilots! Filled servers! Less complaining!

This is fantastic news! Perhaps not for Maddox Games... perhaps not for the old development team... perhaps not for Oleg.....

... But great news for us!

Anyway... I now have CloD working pretty well! I'm sure others will still play it online and, if not, there is a wealth of single player missions out there now so..... COOL! I will now have TWO WW2 flight simulators on my hard drive!

No, I don't know them personally but what was stopping the RoF team from getting into WWII aviation with or without Maddox games? Something died today. Something that I've been into for ten years. The CloD engine showed lots of promise, it wasn't perfect but it was getting there and I'm not convinced that the engine that powers RoF is going to offer us the future that the CloD engine might have. I will, of course, buy the Battle of Stalingrad iteration of RoF. But Maddox games and Il-2 Sturmovik and Cliffs of Dover, that seems to be over and I'm not rejoicing.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Approved Member

It's custom scripting that concerns me. Most of the good custom stuff for MP was done by 3rd parties, and definitely is with COD (check the Storm of War RDF feature for instance). I don't remember seeing that in ROF but best ask SYN what they think and, of course, Jason himself
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek View Post
If the number of objects in IL2:BoS is as absurd low as in RoF it really doesn't matter how wonderful the planes will be, Eastern Front was a ground war with air support not the other way around, no way to simulate that with the actual RoF engine limitations.
Exactly!

Very sad news.

I realy doubt that 777 can improve their engine or write a new one for one year.

No ground war,simple dogfigt...

Nice move from 1C, how to squeeze quickly some more money from Il2 Sturmovik brand.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Approved Member

Sure... I can see that. No point crying over spilt milk...

We are a niche market and, sadly, this means we have to take whatever crumbs they throw at us and, let's face it, it is better to have a few crumbs thrown at you than nothing at all. There was a horrible possibility that the WW2 Flight Simulator as a concept was going to die not that long ago and, no matter how much potential the CloD engine showed (It did show a lot!)... we all knew in our hearts that it was over.

We have, at the very least, a chance of the hobby surviving now instead of having to choke back tears, numbly playing the latest arcade pseudo-simulator, boring our grandkids about the good old days of complex engine management and realistic flight models. lol

Smile! We have a future! May not be the one we wanted but it is a future!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Approved Member

WOW! Honestly I didn't expect that almost anymore ... my hopes were really LOW!

Thank you B6 and welcome back!