Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Approved Member

hey Stuberlone....
i agree that squad fights are the most immersive ones....while Bounder and me are part of a big group, and can enjoy such events on a regular basis, the fact remains, that only a very small percentage of the community is part of such groups.
the majority flies alone on online servers or offline.
you say that flying at such low altitudes is unrealistic....thats just not true...its only unrealistic to fly through a whole forest without a scratch.

besides it would add a lot to immersion when trying to emergency land....now its way way too easy to get the plane down safe....but it would be a real challenge once the trees have a collision model, and therefore way more fun...im really looking forward to that day.

it would be neat as well, to outmanouver your pursuer flying on deck between a avenue of trees, looking back and seeing him colliding with the trees.

sure, it shouldnt happen often to fly that low, but it will.just imagine your airfield gets strafed...not at all unrealistic....combataltitude=0-500m the first moments at least.

+ you say, that driveable vehicles have a higher priority for you than collidable trees?ok fair enough although i dont share that view,....but then ill have to ask you how you want that to implement, if trees dont have a collision model?would look really strange to see human driven vehicles cruising through forests.

+ you say you hit a tree every 50 hours of flight?waoh thats pretty often i have to say....but again i have to ask you, especially when its that often....dont you wish to crash with that tree then?

for me personally its pretty clear(and i dont speak for most of us like you do)....trees are a major part of the environment we move through trying to immerse us.
just like weather, or better the lack of....
for me personally it has a high priority.

Last edited by David198502; 09-25-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Approved Member

Just didn't want to sound arrogant. In true I never saw anybody on adw or seow abd in clanwars and campaigns ever flew that low and crashed into trees. Never saw that and I have persinally never craahed a tree. Human driven vehicles are not important, but as the engine was written to implement this, it would be great to try out the first steps towards a ground war sim included. Just not necessary, bit even with all other stuff, the developers at current speed will need about 2 decades to implement and fix. So, the trees are nowhere near a priority question to ask. Also Aa isnt that important. FIX MAJOR FAULTS AND ADD SOMETHING TO GENERATE IMERSION, SO THAT ALL OTHER PILOTS BUY CLOD. From my colleagues, only about 10% bought already clod. They stick with the older game, as it is currently more intersting and challenging.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Approved Member

In the older game, for example the Slovakia map on dogfight server, you can fly green skinned IL-2 and blend in low with the green trees and you are protected by the yaks and LA5s, which fly better at low altitude than high altitude anyway. If you are in 109 up high searching for the enemy bombers, you may never see the IL-2. If your 109 is too high, you won't even see the dot of the IL-2 render against the tree texture. This is why online you often see 109s go low, so that they can find the enemy by looking at the dot against the horizon/skyline instead of of the tree background from the top down. It is riskier for the 109s to do this, but that is sometimes the only way to get a fix on them. Otherwise, they are invisible. So, yes. Even good pilots in 109s go very low sometimes. How often have you been up high in 109 and then see a message that all the targets below you were destroyed and you didn't see anything? On certain maps, this is possible. You must consider the textures of the maps and your flying altitude if you want to spot low flying planes on the way to destroy your targets and sometimes flying near the treeline is the only way to do that.

Now consider you are the pilot in the IL-2. You have two stations to fly from. The gunner position and the cockpit. You are flying near the treeline to get to target and using the mountains to shield your dot. You will also be toggling back and forth between cockpit and gunner. Certainly, when you are flying from the gunner position, the possibility of hitting a tree increases greatly! I know this from experience. But still, you must watch your six and the gunner movement to see if enemy is near.

Now consider CLOD where you can fly through forests with your stuka or 110 to hide with no consequence? Kind of takes the fun out of what I described above. Why would they take something so obvious to good game play in the older game and leave it out of CLOD? Sorry, that is messed up.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stublerone View Post
Just didn't want to sound arrogant. In true I never saw anybody on adw or seow abd in clanwars and campaigns ever flew that low and crashed into trees. Never saw that and I have persinally never craahed a tree. Human driven vehicles are not important, but as the engine was written to implement this, it would be great to try out the first steps towards a ground war sim included. Just not necessary, bit even with all other stuff, the developers at current speed will need about 2 decades to implement and fix. So, the trees are nowhere near a priority question to ask. Also Aa isnt that important. FIX MAJOR FAULTS AND ADD SOMETHING TO GENERATE IMERSION, SO THAT ALL OTHER PILOTS BUY CLOD. From my colleagues, only about 10% bought already clod. They stick with the older game, as it is currently more intersting and challenging.
no Stuberlone, for me you didnt sound arrogant at all....and all in all i can agree with your point of view, except that for me the "flying through trees bug/feature" is a MAJOR FAULT, which prevent us in many ways to enjoy the sim/game in its full potential.
just like the missing weather features, which have a very highg priority as well in my view....its supposed to be a flight sim....

the biggest problem is, that there are sooo many MAJOR FAULTS....i dont want to list them, we all know them anyway....so i can appreciate your standpoint.but still for me those missing features are really important.

EDIT: i have to correct myself...i think the biggest problem with this sim is, that it didnt advance a bit since release..they failed in every possible aspect to improve it...be it flight models, netcode,terrain,performance....
so its hard for us to cope with all those major faults anyway...but seeing that not one issue was really solved during the last 1,5years is the real puzzling thing.resulting in people having less and less expectations....in the last view months you see more and more statements like:why do we need working weather, the battle of britain was mostly sunny anyway.
thats puzzling as well,....i say, keep up the expectations and let the devs know exactly what we want and what we demand...then maybe we will one day really get a working sim....but saying that such features are not important, will do little to get those features one day.

Last edited by David198502; 09-25-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

1. ths is a sim/game not the real thing
2. when in a fight if i decide to run the tree line and take the chance to snub you into a tree. i want that option. if you can fly through trees it takes that away. as i said it makes this great sim into a mere game.
3. i know "real" pilots never did it but i'm not in "real" plane and sitting in my vp i want to take that chance. if the trees are no big deal then just delete all of em. it would really be boring looking sim/game if they were not there. my point is if this is a sim why are the damn trees just eye candy. i paid alot for this. and i can fly 1946 and what do ya know...if i hit the trees in that sim/game i crash out. just sayin it's expected from them why was this obvious stuation overlooked???
D~
Old 09-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Approved Member

Hmpf, okay. I let it be. It is simply happening only several times in your whole pilot life and there are billions of problems, which really makes it unplayable.

So, the time you choosed to talk about that topic (although they already know that) is simply not really interesting for 99% of the pilots, as it just never happens!!!

And flying hollywood like through valleys waiting for faults of your chaser is putting a smile in my face. Normally an average pilot would never crash into trees. He will have a look over your hollywood flying actions and wait for the time to come. If you really try to practically use this tactic, you should rethink your flying method. If this chasing happens often in your case, it is also a proof, that the server is dogfight server. And even if it is ATAG, you cannot deny the fact, that it is a dogfight server with added targets to come out of this sort of server. But as long as they and other server admins do not get the right tools in hand, they all simply cannot change the fact, that online flying in this case always turns out to be dogfighting inaccurately. This is not a fight against atag, but these servers tend to get more unrealistic, than flying special coop evenings with organized briefings and teams. The gaming is simply another one. Not always better for everyone (tastes vary) , but for me just a nice flying inbetween. The real wars are fought in organized coops or other events. Especially going deeper into clod with an seow like tool would be the greatest for me personally.

I just flew one time on atag. Due to map dimensions, several things are prevented and it was more fun than many other servers in il2 in the past, but for me it is not a substitute for the immersion, created by events.

But again to topic: The developers simply wouldn't especially take care on this matter and will not answer to your claim. I am pretty sure, that other claims go first. My guess: this will be fixed earliest in the sequel. And you never know...this could take another 2 or 3 years up to current speed.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

as i said it's a sim/game not real life...get a life nerd boy
Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s8n View Post
as i said it's a sim/game not real life...get a life nerd boy
Start to insult? I had never talked of real life. In this GAME, noone would fly into trees.

I am not that nerdy... I flew about 6 hours overall in clod after setup of hotas. So, you will have played much more, but I am afraid, I would not bash back.

Just ask yourself, what you wrote in last post. That says it all to everyone of us. Simply not more to say about. You should ask yourself, if you perhaps have some more problems in real life than me as a nerd (that I am not really). Perhaps your problems in real life made you that angry? I do not judge, but just stopp reacting like a warthog mother in autumn, trying to protect its children.

Now, calm down, creme your red face and swallow down the foam in front of your mouth. Drink a beer with me and have fun with your girlfriend. That is, what I would do in your situation. Perhaps also some additional sports? Heals such irrational behaviour quite good