Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Technical problems and solutions

Technical problems and solutions Questions and solutions

Old 11-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Pigeon, my only reason for posting was to let people know that it does not appear to be a fundamental problem between Kings Bounty and Vista x64 (even though it is not technically a supported OS) - that they can work together. The fact is that there is clearly a problem and it is being encountered my multiple people. I fully suspect that, as you suggest, it is a software problem, but it appears to me to be a conflict between King's Bounty and some other software that is running. Whether the blame lies with King's Bounty or that other software I could not say.

Based on your list of installed software, my personal thought process in trying to isolate the cause of the problem would be the following:

1. Possible issue with AVG. Anti-virus software in general is a common source of conflicts. May want to try disabling it temporarily and see if that makes a difference.

2. See if you have Adobe or Firefox configured to check for auto updates. I have encountered problems with unrelated programs that have background processes which check for updates, etc. on the internet.

3. (Maybe this should be #1), check for Windows updates to Vista (there are several hotfixes which were specifically aimed at gaming/memory allocation related problems - sorry don't have the numbers in front of me).

4. Although not listed, do you have any sidebar tasks, background tasks or tray tools or the like that could be conflicting?

5. While the mac certainly adds a variable to the equation, I am not going to point the finger at that without some evidence that it is related.

I truely hope that you and others can get this resolved so you can enjoy King's Bounty.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

ok, I am on a brand new laptop, 8400 duo, 9600m GS 1gig of memory, I have 4 gig of system memory on vista 64 premium. I have a clean system that runs windows with nothing out of hte ordinary in the background, aim is off when i play, along with adobe, quicktime, and other p2p programs. This isn't my computer or my drivers. It is a conflict with a visual bug that may not even be DEP related. DEP does give the error when it does crash, however I even took some advice and disabled that completely and it still crashes. All of the crashes are instant blackscreen and give a DEP error. Clicking close the program brings me back to desktop and I'm able to run the program from the last save point. It doesn't always happen even in the same fight but it happens AT LEAST every other fight.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

I completed the game without any single crash and I`m running on Windows Vista 64-bit. So the problem can`t be in Vista itself. It has to be something else (driver/software/settings combination)

Also, my DEP is turned off since I installed the system and I disabled many useless windows services from start up list..
Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Default DEP crash any update?

Like many others, I am experiencing the crash in Vista 64. I am downloading Service Pack 1 right now. Has anyone figured out anything more? Is it possible it could be a sound issue? I am also experiencing the occasional dropped sound in battle as has been referenced by others. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

I'm running 64-bit Vista, and I'm having the same problem as some of you--only a very rare crash at first, but now that I've reached the elves/undead, it's crashing so often (DEP, although if I disable DEP, it crashes out anyway) that I can't continue. Always in battle, and always after quite a large portion of the battle, too.

So maybe if you guys were willing to post your OS, video card, driver version, and graphics settings in the game, it might be possible to find a combination that works. Particularly for you guys who have 64-bit Vista and finished the game with no problems.

Mine:
Vista 64-bit Ultimate
Asus ENGTX260 + latest Nvidia 64-bit drivers
All in-game graphics setting at high

After putting in 30+ hours, I'd really like to finish the game. I'll probably even play it again. But only if I can play it without crashing.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

I went into Event Viewer and here's the message I'm getting:
Faulting application kb.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x48e5fee9, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a783, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0002f217, process id 0x130c, application start time 0x01c98594f8c46390

So if you guys see that you're getting the same error when the game crashes, please post that here (or whatever message you're getting).
Old 02-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

I cannot play anymore cause of this DEP problem.
Do someone with same have solved it ?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

i have vista home 64bit 4 Gig RAM i had DEP crashes and computer lockups
and closing some running background aplications seem to make the game more
stable for me . In one instance closing windows defender helped me get
through a perticular battle that always made game DEP crash.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Which kind of applications did you closed for a more stable game ?
Old 02-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

any non critical windows applications, dwm.exe must be closed it is too
much of a memory drain.. plus i noticed i had crashes on startup if i
start the game too fast (on system boot my hardrive has some activity
and my core is on high activity) so i wait til all cools down then i play.
hope this helps...