Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Armored Princess > Tactics discussions and solutions

Tactics discussions and solutions All you need to win the battle.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Approved Member

No, I don't agree. Trying to get the best starting point is in my opinion not a covert way of cheating.

The whole point of all games and most sports is to achieve something within the boundaries of a fixed set of rules. Preparing yourself, training, studying, buying better equipment, tuning your bicycle of waxing your snowboard can be part of the experience, should you choose to.

Cheating is stepping outside the set of rules.

I personally find as much joy in preparing and anticipating before I start a (proper) game as I do in actually playing it. There's always the risk that I put so much time and effort in the preparations and test runs that I never get to the end of a game. In my 25 years of gaming (yep, I'm an old fart! ) I probably left scores of games unfinished. I don't think that makes me bad player. I enjoy myself doing what I do, that's good enough for me.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Approved Member

Yes, but after you finished the game you might want to try some specifically.
It is also pretty stupid when you play the demo as i did and awe at the new death star spell, how cool is it then never encounter it in the game and used the same splls as in KBTL.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Well if your goal is to see the end game score, thats one thing . But some play to make themselvs better players .
2 different goals , one ends in seeing a score got with a perfect start, another testing your gaming capabilityes , limits, and improving on yourself .

Each with his own , i guess .
Old 01-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Approved Member

It's always possible to pile on additional personal restrictions and goals that make the game harder. If you have a pretty good idea of what you're capable of and what you aren't, you probably want to play a game that pushes the boundaries of what you are capable of, but not one that is impossible. So generally players set themselves some goals before the game (the most common is impossible no-loss; more experienced players pile on further challenges from there).

Essentially the overall difficulty of your game is a compound function of how unfortunate you were in your random-number generation, and how difficult the challenges you set yourself are. The first you have no control over without KBScanner, the second you can set fairly precisely if you know what you're doing. Presumably without KBScanner, you set your goals so that if you get an average distribution of items and creatures, your game will be just challenging enough. However, this is a recipe for disappointment - most likely your luck will be above average (in which case you'll end up disappointed at how easy the game was, unless you accidentally set your goals too high), or it will be below average (in which case you'll simply fail at whatever your goals were, unless you accidentally set your goals too low).

With KBScanner, you can get a very good approximation of how difficult completing the game with the set of challenges you have in mind will be, meaning you're much less likely to end up disappointed or frustrated, and in fact more likely to get a level of challenge that is just right - which is also generally the level of challenge at which you learn the most, as you get some success but need to work for it.

Now you might rejoin that you've rarely hear of a player who uses KBScanner restarting the game because the set of items and creatures was too GOOD - only too BAD. So therefore (would run the logic) obviously this player isn't using it to make the game more challenging, but merely to make it easier. But this overlooks the degree to which the individual player is responsible for setting the difficulty of their game. I could get the worst set of items in the world, and the worst creatures, and if I play on easy, take losses, spend 100 days finishing, and only copy tried-and-true tactics pulled off the forums that game is going to be a cakewalk. It's not that players using KBScanner to get a better set of items are making their overall game easier - it's that they're making it possible to try for harder self-imposed challenges, or try more interesting strategies than their skill would allow them to pull off with typical luck in item selection.

The strongest reason not to use KBScanner isn't that if makes the game easier or harder, but that it deprives you of the necessity for on-the-fly adaptation to unexpected circumstances - which many find quite entertaining. In other words, it is perhaps not surprising that the best reason to not use it is if you have more fun without it, and the best reason to use it is if you have more fun with it... difficulty and learning don't bear on the question at all.