Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 04-17-2018, 03:56 PM
Approved Member

Default What is the issue with Grumman?

I always hear that the reason that the F8F can't be included in the game is the issue with Grumman. I'm not asking for the inclusion of that plane, that's what mods are for. I just want to know, what is exactly that issue? It seems that it is related to Vought and the F4U, too.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:27 PM
Approved Member

A good answer is here at post #9:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...hlight=grumman

Basically ... it's just plain wrong ... I'd still like to see international copyright law clarified on this to ensure exemptions for the portrayal of history in art form, and to make the rulings retrospective to lift any restrictions created by past agreements. But I think that would require a political lobbying campaign in coordination with established historical organisations, and I don't personally have time to commit to that at the moment. If anyone else wants to run with that idea though, you're welcome.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:57 AM
Approved Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsGhost View Post
A good answer is here at post #9:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...hlight=grumman

Basically ... it's just plain wrong ... I'd still like to see international copyright law clarified on this to ensure exemptions for the portrayal of history in art form, and to make the rulings retrospective to lift any restrictions created by past agreements. But I think that would require a political lobbying campaign in coordination with established historical organisations, and I don't personally have time to commit to that at the moment. If anyone else wants to run with that idea though, you're welcome.
That's my post
Old 04-18-2018, 07:30 AM
Approved Member

)))

Old 04-18-2018, 02:46 PM
Approved Member

So, basically, Grumman got super offended because a cover art and Ubisoft had the legal dexterity of a shoe.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhechene View Post
So, basically, Grumman got super offended because a cover art and Ubisoft had the legal dexterity of a shoe.
Bacically you have to pay Northrop-Grumman a licens fee to use brands that are legally theirs:

https://news.northropgrumman.com/res...and-copyrights

https://news.northropgrumman.com/res...censing-policy

So unless anyone is willing to pay the license fee's there is no way to have any more Grumman or Northrop aircraft added in an official patch.

I'm unsure on the posibilities to update already present AI-aircraft's, like the Avenger for example, to flyable status. But since it has not already been done I suspect it can't be done without paying N-G a license fee.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhechene View Post
Basically.

Additionally, 1C had a number of aircraft and ships which Grumman claimed copyrights to in the game and it was just a few weeks before the game was to be shipped.

Grumman's lawyers were bigger and meaner than Ubisoft's, 1C seriously screwed up on copyright clearances, and any legal action would be expensive and screw up the game's release. The business decision saved Ubisoft and 1C a lot of grief.

I've always wondered if the consent decree would still stand if the original IL2 games were sold to another company. At this point it's 15 years old, which is ancient in computer years, so it might be possible for fans to buy the sim, void the consent decree, and possibly have a nominal corporation to continue to develop the sim in a country where copyright laws are a bit less restrictive.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:20 PM
Approved Member

I wonder if it would be possible to make a deal with N-G for atleast an upgrade of the already present aircraft if funds could be raised for a license fee.

Let's say through the use of patreon or something similar.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:31 AM
Approved Member

I think we should Tell Gruman that this is IL-2, the famous flight Simulator, and if they want their contribution to the Allied efforts in WW2 represented properly, they have a opportunity to have that showcase for their products free of charge here, in Il-2, the Famous Flight Simulator.

then we wait.....
Old 04-27-2018, 03:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music View Post
I think we should Tell Gruman that this is IL-2, the famous flight Simulator, and if they want their contribution to the Allied efforts in WW2 represented properly, they have a opportunity to have that showcase for their products free of charge here, in Il-2, the Famous Flight Simulator.

then we wait.....
I wish it was that easy!