Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Approved Member

Little snippets of detail and realism like this are just brilliant.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Approved Member

Wow an actual conversation about the actual game, be careful guys, people will think this is a forum! Seriously though, nice info, it'll come in handy. I can't believe the workload on these planes, I feel like I'm really getting the feel for what these guy's had to do to survive (much less get any kills).
Old 03-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Approved Member

Aye, the amount of detail on all instruments is insane, from the spinning whiskey compass and the RPM needles oscillating as the prop governor tries to keep the RPM steady, to the airspeed indicator shaking in turbulence and/or terminal speed dives.

By the way, artificial horizons tumble as well during maneuvers. Watch around the 1:00 minute mark here:

Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazex View Post
Sure true, my flying career IRL started in a Bergfalke II/55 built in 1959 before the GPS era with instruments that looked like they where taken from scrapped 109:s Behaved just that way - while turning they go nuts... Go on straight course a while and they wobble to a stable state
LOL, I've flown my CPL practical exam in heavy turbulence in a C-172RG from 1970's - it did have a gyro, but it was drifting so much I needed to realign it every five minutes! BTW, most (or all? at least all I've seen) whiskey compass mounts turn contrary to the turn you're making, so if you need to fly based on that only your brain has to work that out too. Well, all in the name of reality .
Old 03-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Approved Member

I thought while in England you just followed the train lines to the nearest recognisable pub, Then made your back to your airfield as per normal!

Navigation accross the channel is anyones guess?

Cheers!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Approved Member

One thing I noticed that had amazing detail, was seeing the red fluid in one of the gauges in the training plane shift around from plane movement. (press delete for zoomed in fov of 30 degrees to have a good look)
Old 03-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
I thought while in England you just followed the train lines to the nearest recognisable pub, Then made your back to your airfield as per normal!

Navigation accross the channel is anyones guess?

Cheers!
According to the manual there's some sort of electronic equipment available. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see wartime electronics making an appearance in CoD, since there's ground-based radar modeled in the sim to begin with.

I don't know if we'll get beacons like the ones introduced by the TD patches for IL2 (maybe they were a later development and not present during the BoB), but the manual clearly states that we can use the German blind bombing system. If i'm not mistaken it was called knickebein (excuse my guess at spelling as i don't speak German) and i think it means "limp leg" or something like that.

The way it worked was that the bomber "rode" one beam to target via instruments and/or audio cues. The main beam was intersected along 2-3 points by secondary beams identified by separate audio cues, marking the "x minutes to target" points as well as the actual bomb release point. I think it even featured automatic bomb release.

The catch? In order for it to be accurate, you had to fly a very specific altitude and speed, which i presume would be TAS (maybe even ground speed to account for wind) and not IAS.

The way it works in-game (according to the manual at least) is that the beams are placed from within the FMB, just like the radio beacons in IL2.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
I don't know if we'll get beacons like the ones introduced by the TD patches for IL2 (maybe they were a later development and not present during the BoB), but the manual clearly states that we can use the German blind bombing system.
There are beacons in the FMB (of course they did exist in 1940) you can set their frequency, army and nation. But I was unable to make them work in mission (tried with Heinkel and the AFN indicator did not move).

Maraz