Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 12-28-2018, 07:17 PM
Approved Member

Default Finger Four Formation Error (?)

Anyone wanna look at the finger 4 formation?

#2 should be off of lead's LEFT side (7 o'clock)
#3 should be off of lead's RIGHT side (4 o'clock)
#4 should be off of #3's RIGHT side (4 o'clock)

The game doesn't orient the flight in this way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger-four
Old 12-29-2018, 12:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolwyn View Post
Anyone wanna look at the finger 4 formation?

#2 should be off of lead's LEFT side (7 o'clock)
#3 should be off of lead's RIGHT side (4 o'clock)
#4 should be off of #3's RIGHT side (4 o'clock)

The game doesn't orient the flight in this way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger-four
Wikipedia has a photograph which appears to me to be from head on and below, and diagrams presumably from above. That the photo and the diagram look the same even though the positions are reversed, shows that the photo and the diagram are in fact different. In the photo there are two 'planes to the leaders left, in the diagram two 'planes to the leader's right. The planes in question are also much too close together, the problem with the parade vic was that it requires concentration to maintain, these finger fours would be the same.

We should probably also learn to use port and starboard, though I can't tell my left from my right at the best of times, so that may be difficult.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:58 PM
What the heck...?

The F-16s shown in the photograph are flying the finger-four formation in the same orientation as is done in the game.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Approved Member

I wasn't going to reply, but I will. ( heh )

That photograph is a modern representation of the formation. I'm looking at this from the time period.

"The formation consists of a flight of four aircraft, composed of a "lead element" and a "second element", each of two aircraft. When viewing the formation from above, the positions of the planes resemble the tips of the four fingers of a human right hand (without the thumb), giving the formation its name. "

Middle Finger Lead
Index Finger #2
Ring Finger #3
Pinky Finger #4

Now, there's nothing wrong with a reverse-finger four depending upon circumstances, but historically, the above definition serves the WW2 era.

Vik
Diamond
Eschelon L / R
Line Abreast
Line Astern
Finger Four

It's not a HUGE deal, merely pointing out an inconsistency from the original definition of what a Finger Four formation was in Ww2, from what I understand.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolwyn View Post
I wasn't going to reply, but I will. ( heh )

That photograph is a modern representation of the formation. I'm looking at this from the time period.

"The formation consists of a flight of four aircraft, composed of a "lead element" and a "second element", each of two aircraft. When viewing the formation from above, the positions of the planes resemble the tips of the four fingers of a human right hand (without the thumb), giving the formation its name. "

Middle Finger Lead
Index Finger #2
Ring Finger #3
Pinky Finger #4

Now, there's nothing wrong with a reverse-finger four depending upon circumstances, but historically, the above definition serves the WW2 era.

Vik
Diamond
Eschelon L / R
Line Abreast
Line Astern
Finger Four

It's not a HUGE deal, merely pointing out an inconsistency from the original definition of what a Finger Four formation was in Ww2, from what I understand.
Towlyn's diagram is how I have seen the formation described in the reference book (flight spacing horizontally and vertically within the squadron is in the reference as well as the group all flying finger four). USN used the terms Division (flight) and Section (element).