Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 05-12-2013, 01:49 AM
Approved Member

Default An AI question..

I was in an online mission just now and I wound up crash landing on myh own base.. My plane was relatively intact so I just kind of looked around the views.. There were 3 bandits over home plate and I noticed that they were scanning the skies and the ground.. One of them was scanning the ground and I thought he was coming to strafe me but he was actually looking at a ground target.. and I witched him track it and line it up and dive in for a strafing run and take some shots.. all the while tracking the ground target.. and occasionally looking around the skies.. As he came up from his run I was surprised to see him react to a plane.. but it was a friendly.. but he still tracked it for a while.. My question is does the AI have a generic type of tracking that works for any plane and then it kicks in at a certain range once the friend or foe ID is made? I found it fascinating that the pilot reacted to the plane coming up on his 6.. and it seemed like he only relaxed when he saw it was a friendly..
Old 05-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
I was in an online mission just now and I wound up crash landing on myh own base.. My plane was relatively intact so I just kind of looked around the views.. There were 3 bandits over home plate and I noticed that they were scanning the skies and the ground.. One of them was scanning the ground and I thought he was coming to strafe me but he was actually looking at a ground target.. and I witched him track it and line it up and dive in for a strafing run and take some shots.. all the while tracking the ground target.. and occasionally looking around the skies.. As he came up from his run I was surprised to see him react to a plane.. but it was a friendly.. but he still tracked it for a while.. My question is does the AI have a generic type of tracking that works for any plane and then it kicks in at a certain range once the friend or foe ID is made? I found it fascinating that the pilot reacted to the plane coming up on his 6.. and it seemed like he only relaxed when he saw it was a friendly..
Hi Bearcat,

Might be that the AI is tracking his flight lead; since FB - I think - I have noticed that a wingman's head is pointed to look at his flight lead whilst in formation.

Elsewise, who knows? Would be cool if AI assumed all dots in visual range to be bogeys until they come within range to positively ID. Same for flak....