Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Approved Member

Default noob 109 question

Every time I quick start into a 109....I never seem to have to worry about overheating and engine.....but every time I start the 109 on deck...I usually end up craping the DB motor early on in the flight.

I've just started a new add on campaign ...but can't get anywhere due to these issues. So a couple of questions...

Auto Pitch on E-4... how exactly do you get it work? turn it off...play with it..then turn it back on??

Engine Water/Oil temp....they both seem fine (aka not pegged) when my engine quits... tho any time I seem to play with the radiator I end of destroying the engine as well.

Airspeed....it seems to me that I'm "stuck" below 300 km/h and RPM seems to be Stuck around 2000 rpms.

It's extremely frustrating to say the least....when "start in the air" missions seem to work just fine. Makes me think that i'm completely missing something critical from start up to climb out.

So basically ...is there a tutorial on this site for basic engine management for all phases of flight on this website? (the manual kind of sucks).
Old 03-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Approved Member

Make sure that you assign keys for the radiators and then use them and keep an eye on the tempts ...I don't know what else it could be other than rads or over revving

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5

Last edited by SlipBall; 03-21-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Approved Member

Yeah...I've played with Water radiator ....and get it work sometimes. But I have never tried using the oil cooler.....as that temp never seems to change. Another question.....is WEP a function of throttle position/rpm or is there a button to make it happen??? Maybe Im inducing WEP by going full throttle???
This sucks...I want to be able play this game properly.

Last edited by finchOU; 03-21-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Approved Member

Hey

Are you playing with TF-Patch or the official Version?

You should fully open water and oil cooler. Furthermore, make sure that you don`t exceed the red mark in the rpm-Indicator. Try to use manual prop-pitch. It`s not as hard as one might think and it doesn`t suffer the bugs of auto-prop-pitch (yes, this is bugged...).

Ah, and well... when starting, make sure you put your gear and flaps up...
Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Approved Member

FichOU

Is important too observe ATA limits.

See these procedure manual
http://www.theairtacticalassaultgrou...u.php?id=start

Sokol1
Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Approved Member

Hello

Regarding the 109 overheating issues, one thing should be kept in mind: the 109E4 comes equipped with kommandogerat whereas the previous versions don't.

To take off and fly in an E4 observe the following procedure:

- Fuel cock on;
- Pressurize the fuel system by operating the hand pump on the lower right- hand side of the cockpit a couple of times;
- Magnetos on (although these will be switched on automatically at ignition time);
- Ignition;
- Lower the flap to the takeoff position;
- As the engine coughs to life switch kommandogerat (auto prop- pitch) off, set the prop pitch to the quarter to twelve position;
- observe the engine temperature indicators (oil and water);
- as the temps approach 40 degrees Centigrade open the oil radiator to half and open the water radiator until there's half a spin of the handle left;
- Give the aerodynamic controls a move through their full travel;
- Taxi to the runway and take off;
- Once in the air retract gear and flap;
- Switch the komandogerat back on and check whether it's working by observing whether the prop- pitch indicator needles rotate with the change of airspeed and movement of the throttle;

If all of the above is done You wan't need to worry about engine overheating

In the older 109s whitch don't have komandogerat just try and keep the engine RPM below 2300 through prop- pitch control and throttle position.

Good luck
Old 03-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continu0 View Post
Hey

Are you playing with TF-Patch or the official Version?

You should fully open water and oil cooler. Furthermore, make sure that you don`t exceed the red mark in the rpm-Indicator. Try to use manual prop-pitch. It`s not as hard as one might think and it doesn`t suffer the bugs of auto-prop-pitch (yes, this is bugged...).

Ah, and well... when starting, make sure you put your gear and flaps up...
Yeah dude....haha I actually get paid to fly.....I just have procedures and training to fall back on... haha. Switching to manual doesn't bother me..or manipulating oil/water coolers....I just want it to work...and be able to fight with it. Gear and Flaps are in my habit pattern...

Anyway.. I tried the TF patch ..but it was not compatible with Fighter Aces Adolf Galland by Desastersoft. Or more specifically...I downloaded the Add on after the Patch and it didn't work....I haven't tried it the other way around and am only using the add on with standard patches (can't remember what version) currently.

Does the TF patch fix the Auto Prop on the E-4? I didn't think it did.

Last edited by finchOU; 03-21-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1 View Post
FichOU

Is important too observe ATA limits.

See these procedure manual
http://www.theairtacticalassaultgrou...u.php?id=start

Sokol1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadoMarxist View Post
Hello

Regarding the 109 overheating issues, one thing should be kept in mind: the 109E4 comes equipped with kommandogerat whereas the previous versions don't.

To take off and fly in an E4 observe the following procedure:

- Fuel cock on;
- Pressurize the fuel system by operating the hand pump on the lower right- hand side of the cockpit a couple of times;
- Magnetos on (although these will be switched on automatically at ignition time);
- Ignition;
- Lower the flap to the takeoff position;
- As the engine coughs to life switch kommandogerat (auto prop- pitch) off, set the prop pitch to the quarter to twelve position;
- observe the engine temperature indicators (oil and water);
- as the temps approach 40 degrees Centigrade open the oil radiator to half and open the water radiator until there's half a spin of the handle left;
- Give the aerodynamic controls a move through their full travel;
- Taxi to the runway and take off;
- Once in the air retract gear and flap;
- Switch the komandogerat back on and check whether it's working by observing whether the prop- pitch indicator needles rotate with the change of airspeed and movement of the throttle;

If all of the above is done You wan't need to worry about engine overheating

In the older 109s whitch don't have komandogerat just try and keep the engine RPM below 2300 through prop- pitch control and throttle position.

Good luck

Thanks for the info guys...I'll try this tonight when i get home. What about efficient vs best climb speeds (and power settings).....I read through some of those checklists....but I've seen conflicting info on the climb speeds. Someone (cant remember name) said the best climb speed is modeled to be 275 kmh ....where they said it was really around 250 IRL. The thread was something along the lines of what still need to be fixed post patches.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Approved Member

In order to make the Desastersoft-Add-on work with TF-Patch, do this:

Copy the folder "mission" from:
C:\Users\yourname\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover
into
C:\Users\yourname\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover – MOD

After that, do a update with the Desastersoft-updater. (For fighter Aces you probably have to install version 2.0 of Fighter Aces manually...)
Same for the Skins. Copy "Paintschemes" from

C:\Users\yourname\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover
to
C:\Users\yourname\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover – MOD

Good luck
Old 03-23-2013, 05:37 AM
Approved Member

What do you mean..."install Fighter Aces 2.0 Manually"? Just tried this and go the same issue. Game loads up but nothing happens when I select the Desastersoft Campaign (minus the screen darkening).