Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Approved Member

Default Horton

"A game changer!"
Sorry it's in German

Viking
Old 05-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Approved Member

Just post the original

Old 05-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Approved Member

Yes off course! I wasn't looking hard enough, partly because I was so happy my German is still so good, haven't used it for years. Thank you.

Viking
Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Approved Member

Saw that show..pretty awesome. If I remember correctly, the even painted a swastika on the tail. I was quite surprised the PC police even allowed that.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Approved Member

I cannot help to think about the copyright problems that we had in Sturmovik when I see this documentary. Is OK to build a copy of the Horton today without permission and who own the rights to it?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Approved Member

well the two Horten brothers both died in the 90s (one in Argentina and one in Germany), I doubt anybody can (or would want to) claim anything over their designs.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Approved Member

Stealth by accident, not by intent.

The Northrop flying wings were the same. Very hard to see on radar at the time, but no one gave much thought to that aspect of their design then.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 05-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Stealth by accident, not by intent.

The Northrop flying wings were the same. Very hard to see on radar at the time, but no one gave much thought to that aspect of their design then.
Just that Northrop up to the B2 hardly ever build a pure flying wing, but always used some kind of vertical stabilizers directly or in form of their engine setup. One of the great two pioneers (Northrop, Horten) nevertheless.

The thing about intentional stealth is debateable.
On the one hand, Germany did experiment with radar absorbing materials, U-Boats for example got a special coating for just that purpose. It's not far fetched to think that the Luftwaffe had their own interests in this regard and observed that development. The paint on the original Horton also has some Radar absorbing tendencies.

On the other hand, neither any documents from that period (those few left), nor direct testimony of the Horton brothers ever gave evidence over the Horten Bother's intention in that direction. This makes the whole debate purely speculative.

Last edited by Bewolf; 05-22-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Approved Member

yeah, frankly I think that the choices for construction material for the Horten were based mainly on these aspects:

1) scarce raw materials.
2) lightweight construction
3) easier and cheaper to build

As you said there's no evidence to support the research in that anti-radar technology direction, if anything because if used properly the jets undoubtedly had a tactical advantage.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Approved Member

Maybe they choose wood because that's what they used for all of their gliders before?

If they really intended mixed charcoal dust in with the wood glue to absorb radar or for what else reason they did it, well, guess that can't be proven anymore either way.
Closed Thread