Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Star Wolves

Star Wolves 3D space RPG with deep strategy and tactical elements

Old 03-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Approved Member

Default formula-damage(guess)

Unlucky me, the engineer only have machine gun perk, not heavy cannon.
But I will do some maths anyway.

Say,
1 low accuracy is good(75% hit ratio) only at half(50%) the range, given the range 60, so they are only useful at 30;
2 while laser with high accuracy are good at full range(100%), which is 80 for pulse laser, may be they are only good at 90%, but let’s just use 100% at first;
3 a logical guess about heavy gun with medium accuracy should be in the middle(75%), with average range of 70;

The actual formula-damage will be:
Accuracy() x Range() / Distance() x Hit Ratio(75%) x Damage per Second(100%)

a. Dealing with normal fighters,
laser will get:
Accuracy(High 100%) x Range(95) / Distance() x Hit Ratio(75%) x Damage per Second(100%)
Heavy gun will get:
Accuracy(Med 75%) x Range(80) / Distance() x Hit Ratio(75%) x Damage per Second(100%)

b. Dealing with laser-proof fighters,
laser will get:
Accuracy(High 100%) x Range(95) / Distance() x Hit Ratio(75%) x Damage per Second(50%)
Heavy gun will get:
Accuracy(Med 75%) x Range(80) / Distance() x Hit Ratio(75%) x Damage per Second(100%)

c. Dealing with moving targets,
Laser’s accuracy will not be affected, plus the beam will last 1/4 seconds
Cannon bullets will be dramatically affected if the shooting line is different from the fighter’s track.

Conclusion: laser is king, even if with laser-proof 50%, only get weak damage with 80% laser-proof

now the real question is: if laser is so good, why the game still use cannon?
there must be something wrong.

Last edited by tsavo; 03-28-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:17 AM
Approved Member

Yeah, this was a huge problem in the Star Wolves series, and I imagine, one of the huge reasons (if not THE reason) why the developers added anti-laser systems in the first place.

Also, do not underestimate the 80% reduction, towards the end practically every enemy fighter is equipped with one, making even ships equipped with precursor cannons struggle.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:31 AM
Approved Member

Each enemy fighter will only ever equip one antilaser system, so laser is still fine against them. I think the enemies only have the 50% reduction, as that's the only one that gets dropped. But maybe they could be equipped with 80% reduction but only drop the 50% one?

While laser is king against enemies, you can just equip your own fighters with two or three antilaser systems for seriously laser equipped enemies like the Berserks. A fighter with at least 3 system slots equipped with 2 80% antilaser and 1 missile jammer is totally invincible in the level where Berserks are the only enemy.

Last edited by jerryfanfan; 03-28-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryfanfan View Post
Each enemy fighter will only ever equip one antilaser system, so laser is still fine against them. I think the enemies only have the 50% reduction, as that's the only one that gets dropped. But maybe they could be equipped with 80% reduction but only drop the 50% one?

While laser is king against enemies, you can just equip your own fighters with two or three antilaser systems for seriously laser equipped enemies like the Berserks. A fighter with at least 3 system slots equipped with 2 80% antilaser and 1 missile jammer is totally invincible in the level where Berserks are the only enemy.
in the final mission, my mothership salvaged some 80% laser-proof, so, there are better equiped fighters.
how about mother ships, are there any laser-proof motherships in the npc fleet?
Old 03-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsavo View Post
in the final mission, my mothership salvaged some 80% laser-proof, so, there are better equiped fighters.
how about mother ships, are there any laser-proof motherships in the npc fleet?
SAM might be, other than him, though, no.

About 80% Laser reduction, it highly depends on your difficulty. Easy (and even normal) difficulty you will not see many at all, but hard difficulty you actually fight a lot of enemies equipped with 80% laser reduction.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsavo View Post
now the real question is: if laser is so good, why the game still use cannon?
there must be something wrong.
There are two types of ships where miniguns type weapons are good.
First is mothership cuz fighters always comes directly toward him.
Second are Butcher type ships with a tail turret. Enemy fighters whose chases them always go straight so hit probability is high.
Fighters with miniguns are only good when firing big or slow targets like motherhips or Butchers.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Approved Member

well, minigun is out of question, range is the problem for both fighters and ms.

the dps of heavy cannon is as good as laser, so there is a balance between the hit-ratio and laser-proof.

I restarted as a combat engineer this time, and noticed that when hit by kinetic warhead, the fighter a sort of out of balance, is that true?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:11 AM
Approved Member

I don't use kinetic weapons so I've never noticed that but you are talking about main caliber or normal?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Approved Member

mother ship turret

if we can add impact effect to kinetic weapon, it could bring a much different way of playing
Old 03-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Approved Member

There's something else about lasers I like. Let's say that in every 4 seconds there is only 1 second where the gun is lined up with the target, the machinegun will spend 1 second firing and then 3 out of those 4 seconds idle, and thus doing only 1/4 of the damage, while the laser would spend 1 second firing and the 3 seconds reloading, thus doing full damage.