Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Fantasy Wars

Fantasy Wars Turn-based strategy. Gather an army, upgrade units, study magic spells, participate in castle sieges and assaults to destroy the great Orc Ugraum’s horde.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Default Mod I am trying to make...

The theme I am aiming for is LotR style battles numbering from 4k to ?k soldiers. I want terrain to play a more important role and I want defensive strategies to be more powerful than they currently are. I want slower deaths in battle. Right now you can often destroy a unit completely by attacking it twice. I'd like for a unit to last 4 attacks.
I should mention that I like playing this game with no time limit either by using a trainer.

Actions:

1. Set larger hitpoint values (from 100-300) where each hitpoint represents one soldier. Improves immersion and puts things on a larger, more realistic scale. I can believe that 300 goblin looters could take a village.
Status: accomplished by editing UnitTypes.csv Example goblin looters 15 visible units representing 15 squads x 20 hitpoints each(each hitpoint representing one goblin) = 300

2. Increase benefit/penalty of terrain to make Defensive tactic viable. Currently it is much more advantageous to be the first to attack than to have the better battleground position.

3. Totally eliminate Resting and Recruiting since it's unrealistic to think that you can replace dead units so quickly and easily. If there were any able bodied villagers then they would have been recruited already and to think of knights spawning from villages in the middle of a battle is just crazy.
Status: accomplished by editing RestRecruit.script Now only one wounded soldier is regained when Resting and Recruitment is disabled completely

4. Make it possible for units to move into Mountain terrain with a penalty like swamps and rivers.

5. First problem encountered...Enemies with move points left over after an attack still move away from me in order to Rest(now useless) even if that means leaving a valuable defensive space(now even more valuable) like a fortress or town.
Status: Need help locating the AI instruction telling them to move away if wounded.

6. Long range goal: create new units with LotR icons
Status: read some post where it said it's difficult to create new things as opposed to editing existing things

Last edited by shinyhalo; 01-08-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Hi!

I'd like to make a translation for this game.
I need to edit all the text files: item and unit descriptions, mission objectives etc.

Any1 can help me out? Maybe with an editor?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyhalo View Post

4. Make it possible for units to move into Mountain terrain with a penalty like swamps and rivers.
Looks like you want MovementTypes.xml

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyhalo View Post

5. First problem encountered...Enemies with move points left over after an attack still move away from me in order to Rest(now useless) even if that means leaving a valuable defensive space(now even more valuable) like a fortress or town.
Status: Need help locating the AI instruction telling them to move away if wounded.
Start with the AIPARAMS.xml file. It seems the weights for tacking specific actions are in there.

Last edited by Ogre; 01-08-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Looks like you want MovementTypes.xml
Piece of cake to edit. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Start with the AIPARAMS.xml file. It seems the weights for tacking specific actions are in there.
Thanks for help. I think I got this to work.
I am testing by using New Campaign -Human. The goblin looters in the first village now stay inside the Town even when surrounded by peasants and militia and two covering bowmen units. This will ensure maximal human losses due to the significant defense bonus of the town.

Here is the last edit I made that seemed to trigger the goblins staying instead of moving away. I bumped the i_friendlyStructureBonus bonus to 80 and decreased the CloseEnemiesPenalties to 1, 1, 0

<Retreat>
<!-- ïðîöå*ò çäîðîâüÿ þ*èò* ïðè êîòîðîì åìó ð*çðåøå*î îòñòóï*òü -->
<i_damagedUnitHPPercent>80</i_damagedUnitHPPercent>
<!--áî*óñ*ûå î÷êè ç* **õîæäå*èå âáëèçè äðóæåñòâå**îãî ñòðîå*èÿ-->
<i_friendlyStructureBonus>80</i_friendlyStructureBonus>
<!--áî*óñ*ûå î÷êè ç* **õîæäå*èå âáëèçè äðóæåñòâå**ûõ þ*èòîâ-->
<i_closeFriendsBonus>6</i_closeFriendsBonus>
<!--ì*îæèòåëü áî*óñ*ûõ î÷êîâ ç* ìåñò*îñòü-->
<i_terrainBonusMultiply>2</i_terrainBonusMultiply>
<!--Øòð*ô*ûå î÷êè ç* **õîæäå*èå âð*ãîâ ** ð*ññòîÿ*èè-->
<CloseEnemiesPenalties>
<!--Øòð*ô*ûå î÷êè ç* **õîæäå*èå âð*ãîâ ** ð*ññòîÿ*èè 1 (ñîñåäè*é õåêñ)-->
<i_penalty>1</i_penalty>
<!--Øòð*ô*ûå î÷êè ç* **õîæäå*èå âð*ãîâ ** ð*ññòîÿ*èè 2 (÷åðåç õåêñ)-->
<i_penalty>1</i_penalty>
<!--Øòð*ô*ûå î÷êè ç* **õîæäå*èå âð*ãîâ ** ð*ññòîÿ*èè 3 (÷åðåç äâ* õåêñ*)-->
<i_penalty>0</i_penalty>
</CloseEnemiesPenalties>
<!--Øòð*ô*ûå î÷êè ç* ïëîõóþ ìåñò*îñòü-->
<LandPenalties>
<!-- Øòð*ô*ûå î÷êè ç* **õîæäå*èå â áîëîòå -->
<LandPenalty>
<s_landType>Swamp</s_landType>
<i_penalty>6</i_penalty>
</LandPenalty>
<!-- Øòð*ô*ûå î÷êè ç* **õîæäå*èå â ðåêå -->
<LandPenalty>
<s_landType>River</s_landType>
<i_penalty>6</i_penalty>
</LandPenalty>
</LandPenalties>
</Retreat>
Old 01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Approved Member

No problem. I am poking around trying to determine what can and cannot be modded.

It seems like all the friendly names are in the LocTable which is most likely compiled in packedloctable.dat file. Those won'tbe easily modded or added to.