Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hayward View Post
I LOL'd when I read this. Landing an aircraft in CoD is laughably easy compared to BoS.
this may be true I don't have BOS...but remember this was not the case with the original game. It was the community that wanted more simplified, and so we have aircraft on rails today in clod

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 12-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post

this may be true I don't have BOS...but remember this was not the case with the original game. It was the community that wanted more simplified, and so we have aircraft on rails today in clod
Eh? When did the community ask for this, lol? SlipBall, if you read Luthier's farewell you'll see no one on the dev team ever read any of this stuff let alone the bug tracker! Only Luthier and BlackSix ever dealt in the English language.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthursmedley View Post
Eh? When did the community ask for this, lol? SlipBall, if you read Luthier's farewell you'll see no one on the dev team ever read any of this stuff let alone the bug tracker! Only Luthier and BlackSix ever dealt in the English language.

Arthur I might be wrong and I have to admit I was guessing the why. But I remember the complaints about the shaking, so I assumed that was it when most of the shaking was gone. Anyway it was more exciting to me the way it was in the beginning, although more of a challenge with the landings and gunnery.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5

Last edited by SlipBall; 12-10-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post
I don't recall any of that, and I've been reading this forum since before the game was released.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Approved Member

Slipball, as someone who was in from Day 1 I don't recognise the picture you keep painting of a near-perfect initial release that was ruined unnecessarily by the devs making pointless and unwanted changes.

The game at release had huge problems.

There were big complaints right from the start about FM.

Last edited by kendo65; 12-10-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo65 View Post
Slipball, as someone who was in from Day 1 I don't recognise the picture you keep painting of a near-perfect initial release that was ruined unnecessarily by the devs making pointless and unwanted changes.

yeah, not sure where this perfect game on release stuff is coming from myself, lol.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Approved Member

well certainly neither one is trouble free, the earlier release I find more enjoyable...tons of bugs but still lots of immersion for my tastes

Old 12-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo65 View Post

Of course it had problems for you, trying to run sim with two generations old gfx card. I concluded that from your sig.
If you had midrange card from 4xx or 5xx series you would see the difference.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Approved Member

I still think Cliffs Of Dover should have had a 'Perfect' graphic mode like the original IL-2 series.

There were lots of people who happily played the original series without even trying to play with 'Perfect' settings, and it took years sometimes for hardware to come out that was capable of pushing some of the effects in 'Perfect' mode. But at least people knew what the deal was, and the game still looked alright in 'Normal' mode.

I think 'Cliffs Of Dover' just wasn't scalable enough in the same way. The hardware on release (CPU and GPU) wasn't powerful enough to brute force good frame-rates at the best settings when there was a lot of action happening, but turning settings down quickly made the game look substandard.

As I remember it, they did optimize the graphics engine bit by bit, partially by removing some effects. Then eventually they basically re-wrote the whole thing altogether. But after that they never put back in some of the effects they'd removed along the way. And that's what we were left with.

Pretty sure they never changed the flight model to make landing easier, but they did stop the needles in the control panel instruments from fluttering, which was most noticeable when landing. I think they might have toned down the overall cockpit shaking as well, which might have made landing seem easier at least. And of course the positive G engine cut-out was toned down, which might also have made landing easier in some cases.

As someone who had a decent system and was willing to play the game within it's limits, I too think the game was more immersive in its earlier form and have lots of good memories of flying around in it. Don't want to dwell on it though.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
I still think Cliffs Of Dover should have had a 'Perfect' graphic mode like the original IL-2 series.

There were lots of people who happily played the original series without even trying to play with 'Perfect' settings, and it took years sometimes for hardware to come out that was capable of pushing some of the effects in 'Perfect' mode. But at least people knew what the deal was, and the game still looked alright in 'Normal' mode.

I think 'Cliffs Of Dover' just wasn't scalable enough in the same way. The hardware on release (CPU and GPU) wasn't powerful enough to brute force good frame-rates at the best settings when there was a lot of action happening, but turning settings down quickly made the game look substandard.

As I remember it, they did optimize the graphics engine bit by bit, partially by removing some effects. Then eventually they basically re-wrote the whole thing altogether. But after that they never put back in some of the effects they'd removed along the way. And that's what we were left with.

Pretty sure they never changed the flight model to make landing easier, but they did stop the needles in the control panel instruments from fluttering, which was most noticeable when landing. I think they might have toned down the overall cockpit shaking as well, which might have made landing seem easier at least. And of course the positive G engine cut-out was toned down, which might also have made landing easier in some cases.

As someone who had a decent system and was willing to play the game within it's limits, I too think the game was more immersive in its earlier form and have lots of good memories of flying around in it. Don't want to dwell on it though.

I don't want to dwell either but being a off-liner I really have a lot of fun with the game. I think that the FM was changed a bit though, most noticeable to me on take-off/landings and acceleration in the E3...

I think I see some very immersive qualities in BOS and I'm looking forward to checking it out.

https://vimeo.com/81538285
in case some don't remember the immersive cockpit feel of clod

Last edited by SlipBall; 12-11-2013 at 02:16 PM.