Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 09-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Approved Member

Default IL2 Mod Makers and Daidalos should Unite

How cool would it be if Team Daidalos and the major MOD makers like who made HSFX, SAS, and others got together to bring us all the best from each system, for one big MEGA 4.13 update!

The only real flaw in IL2 is it is fragmented so much, the player base is spread out everywhere.

Everyone's efforts are contributions to improving IL2 anyway, they might as well all get together.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Approved Member

Your idea is very good Whiskey..a lot of DT members were moders IIRC. And the HFSX community is closer to DT than it appears. Others sites as UP or SAS have talented modders but, the specifications to make a plane or a map, are a limit, to be included in a official patch, its must to be followed. And I think DT is opened to everyone that has a serious intention to work in il2 development.

Bombing smurfs since a long time ago...
Old 09-10-2014, 06:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyWhiskey View Post
How cool would it be if Team Daidalos and the major MOD makers like who made HSFX, SAS, and others got together to bring us all the best from each system, for one big MEGA 4.13 update!
DT isn't a closed shop.

As I understand it, anyone who has the proper skills and who wants to make content for the game that's up to professional standards is welcome to join the team.

Third party developers who are willing to submit content that's up to DT's standards are also welcome. I know this as a fact since I did the research and initial graphic design that resulted in the historical kill markings feature in the 4.12 patch. (But, DT did a very good job cleaning up my graphics and implementing it in the game.)

My only complaints with DT are that they don't make it easy to get in touch with them, and, as far as I know, they don't ask to borrow content created by the more talented modders which either meets their standards or which could easily be brought up to standard.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post

My only complaints with DT are that they don't make it easy to get in touch with them, and, as far as I know, they don't ask to borrow content created by the more talented modders which either meets their standards or which could easily be brought up to standard.
The more talented modelers can build within the limits of the game engine,
some other mods are beyond the games limits and cause problems
that's why a lot of them are for single player use as they don't work online correctly
or if the mission had more than a few of a particular aircraft with high poly counts or "franken plane" constructions.

Also the flight model has to be made correctly.

Poorly constructed maps with memory leaks are another problem.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post
Poorly constructed maps with memory leaks are another problem.
Ignorant question, but where do you get memory leaks on a map?

To my ignorant eye, maps seem to be several layers of graphics, plus text files that tell the game engine where to place names and objects on the map.

The main problem seems to be placing too many objects on the map, or making too large a map, which slows down the game.

Where is the coding that could cause a memory leak?
Old 09-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Approved Member

IIRC

Overlapping objects or textures can cause leaks.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 09-12-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post
Overlapping objects or textures can cause leaks.
Hmmm, does that mean that mission builders who place overlapping objects (e.g., like some air race mission) are asking for problems due to memory leaks, or is the problem just limited to overlapping texture "tiles" and objects specifically placed on the map by the map-maker?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Approved Member

To me, the biggest thing that seems that would benefit a multi mod team effort/contribution would be mostly the expanding the limited selection of aircraft and maps.

I would think a simple email saying "Hey can we use your plane mod or maps?" would work.

There is a lot of work that goes into all this and I would think everyone would want to share it anywhere, I know I would if I spent all that time making something for this game.

Mostly I just with there was a single file to download for everyone to experience a MEGA IL2 patch, I don't care if it took all night to download it.

All the separate downloads for IL2 just split the populations and kill us off.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyWhiskey View Post
"expanding the limited selection of aircraft and maps."
Saying it with a smile, this speaks a lot about our attitude.

Il2 has a huge number of planes, flyable and AI, with no peer in gaming industry, at least if any reasonable quality and historical accuracy is considered. And we have a huge selection of maps, ships, vehicles, buildings, etc. However, WW2 was fought on such a scale that it will never be possible to have all battlefields, all ground objects, all aircraft types. Never. Simply look at how much time it took to come where we are today, and make a simple projection in the future.

I would love to see more cooperation between all people still working on game expansion and refinements. But any coordinated effort requires someone able to make decisions, and I see no others than TD in the right position to do so, following 1C guidelines. Decisions always make someone happy and someone other unhappy. Simply like that. Modders took their way and I’m not overly optimistic about the possibility to have a serious integration in the TD development scheme. To say it with other words: I keep my fingers crossed, but not hold my breath.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Approved Member

Furio
Do you now if anyone is working or able to work on the graphic dll's
to make use of the newer GPU's

Cheers