Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Approved Member

Default The Invasion of Sicily Historical Missions For Realistic Players (PS3)

Ok gents,

I'm officially calling this one my last historical for BoP since my research for the Korsun hasn't panned out and we're getting closer to the Birds of Steel release. So operations are set to begin on Sunday January 8th at 10:30pm EST with chat invites going out 10 minutes prior. As usual, if there are any other forum dwellers who play around 10:30pm EST, you are welcome to join in as well. Simply post here and send me a friend invite via PSN so I can add you to the message lists for updates! All participants will need the following planes:

Axis:
- M.C. 202
- Bf 109 E-3, F-4, G-2 & G-6 (the G-10 will not be used)
- Fw 190 A-5

Allied:
- B-17G
- A-20G
- Bleheim Mk.IV
- P-51B
- Hurricane Mk.II (with bombs)
- Spitfire Mk.II & IX

Take care guys and I'll see you on Sunday night!!!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:36 AM
Approved Member

If I can fly my spit 9 I'm in
Old 01-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Approved Member

Cool, it will be good to have you join us again, though not every mission will have a Spit 9 available (though most do), lol! I'll send you more details the next time I log back into PSN.

Since you haven't played in a while let me go ahead and give you the rules here.

1. HAVE FUN!!!
2. No "intentional" ramming!!!
3. RTB is always in effect unless otherwise noted.

RTB is a new rule that I started using with the Invasion of Sicily arcade series. Basically it forces players to return to designated areas to ditch their plane when they run out of ammo. If you fly Axis, the RTB areas will be either of the 2 airfields, Catania or Gerbini. You do not have to land, but simply be over the airfield to bail out. If you fly Allied, you will have to make your way all the way back to friendly airspace. For this purpose, imagine a line that extends the length of the map that run perpendicular to the closest friendly target on your return trip. For Sicily, that will be the battleship that is sitting off the coast. Note you do NOT have to fly back directly over the battleship, which is why the imaginary line extends the length of the map. Bombers get a second option for RTB in that they can RTB by zoning out of the battlefield and can then bail out upon re-zoning.

RTB also places restrictions on bailing out for damage as well. If you are in a fighter, you can only bail out for damage if there is a blackened area on the damage indicator. Now just know up front that this will sometimes lead to kills not being scored as players may not be able to bail out when they crash, however since most missions don't rely on the game score, this isn't really a big issue. If you are in a bomber, you can only bail for damage if any of your engines are blacked, as fuselage and wing damage have less of an impact on them.

Anyway, looking forward to flying with/against you again, take care man!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Approved Member

Ok sounds cool I'll get pappy on too. Not real worried about anyone not bailing they won't need to bail when I take their wing off . I had to get a new ps3 awhile back and I never bothered doing the unlocks again so I don't have a lot of the planes
Old 01-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Approved Member

Oh and I'll be about a half hour late I get on at 8pst When girlfriends son goes to bed
Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Approved Member

Looking forward to it. It's a shame we won't get to take the fight to Berlin, but BoS is a pretty sweet trade off. I'll see you on Sunday.

StiC
Old 01-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Approved Member

@ mav
Well you still have plenty of time to do all the unlocks since we won't start until Sunday. However, if you at least have the M.C. 202, Bf 109 E-3 and the Spitfire Mk.II, then that should allow you to play one side or the other for any of the missions.

Since you start the game with the E-3 and I'm almost certain you have a Spitfire Mk. IX that would only leave the 202 as the last unlock. To unlock the M.C. 202 simply complete the Invasion of Sicily, Single Mission; The Bait.

All the unlocks can be found in this thread:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=13167

@ StiC
Yeah, I was really looking forward to the Battle of the Bulge myself which was to follow the Korsun Pocket. However, all is not lost as if they make the Birds of Prey maps available as DLC for Birds of Steel as Anton has said is "possible", then the Korsun, Bulge and Berlin historicals are certainly not out of the question.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffMonk View Post
Ok gents,

I'm officially calling this one my last historical for BoP since my research for the Korsun hasn't panned out and we're getting closer to the Birds of Steel release. So operations are set to begin on Sunday January 8th at 10:30pm EST with chat invites going out 10 minutes prior. As usual, if there are any other forum dwellers who play around 10:30pm EST, you are welcome to join in as well. Simply post here and send me a friend invite via PSN so I can add you to the message lists for updates! All participants will need the following planes:

Axis:
- M.C. 202
- Bf 109 E-3, F-4, G-2 & G-6 (the G-10 will not be used)
- Fw 190 A-5

Allied:
- B-17G
- A-20G
- Bleheim Mk.IV
- P-51B
- Hurricane Mk.II (with bombs)
- Spitfire Mk.II & IX

Take care guys and I'll see you on Sunday night!!!
Hey RuffMonk where is the "Jug"

Would you care to elaborate why we don't have P-47 in this series?

Thanks,

PSN: PlaviKit
Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Approved Member

@ Plavikit
It was a big surprise to me too, but in all of my research I did to generate all of the missions, the "Jug" was nowhere to be found in the skies over Sicily! I even read through an extensive report detailing interdiction efforts of the Allied Air Force that was made for the USAAF and in the section listing planes that took part in the operations, again no Jug. From the four books I scoured through and the various online sources I found, it appears that the main fighter aircraft that operated over Sicily were Spitfires, P-40s and P-38s which is why I was baffled as to why the P-40 and P-38 weren't included in BoP. Heck, I couldn't even find evidence of P-51Bs operating over Sicily, but there were A-36s which in all respect are a mustang variant which is why I went ahead and included the P-51B in some of the missions.

Correction: I just remembered that Mustangs were referenced in the Interdiction report, but were listed as reconnaissance only. I still however, couldn't confirm any actual engagements they took part in though!

Last edited by RuffMonk; 01-06-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Approved Member

Hey guys,

Just a reminder that the Invasion of Sicily will begin on this coming Sunday (8th) at 10:30pm EST. I'm planning to set all gatherings for Sundays, Tuesdays & Thursdays and with 16 missions to run, it should take us 2.5 weeks to run the series to completion. Anyway, take care guys and I'll see you in the skies!

Last edited by RuffMonk; 01-06-2012 at 02:18 PM.