Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:08 AM
Approved Member

moving right along. i had to decide how much travel i wanted for the pedals. i decided 2" ( 52mm ) would work. so with a 15 degree deflection in the rudder pot i plotted it out. pic 1. i am going to go with a very basic and simple design. this after all is an experiment that may not work out at all. if it does....then i will make something more elaborate with real looking pedals.
pic 2. attached connectors to the wires from inside the stick and put the pigtail an connector onto the rudder pot. next mount the pot and rig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mms_picture(2).jpg (264.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg mms_picture.jpg (362.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-04-2010, 01:41 AM
Approved Member

intresting. How are you going to join the two pedals together so one comes towards you when the other one is pushed?

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 07-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Approved Member

Whatever you decide you will need to ensure that the rudder mechanism is self centering otherwise you will find that the small rotational movement of the rudder pot will require you to be continually searching for the null point which, in combat, could be quite tiring and a disadvantage I would imagine. You could increase the dead zone by adding a resistor at each end of the pot to help identify a null point and thus increase the rotational angle.

Last edited by SEE; 07-04-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
Whatever you decide you will need to ensure that the rudder mechanism is self centering otherwise you will find that the small rotational movement of the rudder pot will require you to be continually searching for the null point which, in combat, could be quite tiring and a disadvantage I would imagine. You could increase the dead zone by adding a resistor at each end of the pot to help identify a null point and thus increase the rotational angle.
I vote for some big ass springs!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Approved Member

mini bungee cords. back from the wilds...will be back on this project asap...
Old 10-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Approved Member

First up...sorry for bumping this thread, but I did read the rules first and I think I'm OK.

Second...I'm thinking of starting a similar mod to my T flight HOTAS and I didn't want to start a new thread on the same topic.

Finally..
I was wondering if you completed the mod and how did it turn out? If you didn't finish the mod I was wondering why before I begin mine and fall into the same trap.

StiC
Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Approved Member

actually i did get the prototype to work but i would have needed to redesign what i had to make it more durable. shortly after that i bought an ace edge flight stick that has a paddle switch for the rudder on the throttle quadrant and never looked back.

were i do do this again ( and someday i may ) i would use either the hindged pedals or a PVC set up...probably opting for the latter. if you want PM me and i will give you my email address.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Approved Member

Here is a quick rendering of what I came up with. There is no scale, I was just jotting down what was in my head. The worm screw and cable are something I thought of for a trim box with a dial.

Now if only I still had access to a fully equipped tool and die room I could whip this up over a weekend.

StiC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RUDPED.JPG (98.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Approved Member

looks like you ought to be able to build that using 1 inch PVC. that is something i had considered. i lost interest in my project since i got the ace edge stick...but if the MAC version of world of planes is any good i my revamp my design and have a go at it again.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Approved Member

I was using your PVC idea when planning this. The rest I would have custom made using Teflon, steel, and aluminum. Now it may never get built.

StiC