Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 05-06-2013, 05:25 AM
Registered Member

Angry Do I have to be a programmer just to play this stupid game?

I would love it if this stupid thing just WORKED. I bought the damn game, installed it, and it's choppy and slow and impossible to navigate and the bloody joystick doesn't work. My system exceeds the requirements:

AMD FX6200
16GB DDR3-1600
GEForce 9500GT, 1GB VRAM
Logitech Extreme3D Joystick

All I see in the forums is "you have to go into this file and that file and change this to that and edit this config file in order to get it to work." I don't WANT to have to have a Ph.D in computer programming in order to play a game I SPENT MONEY ON. I want to play the damned game.

Is that too much to ask? What I might want is my money back. Just like when I foolishly bought that useless game Lock On: Modern Air Combat, I feel like I've been defrauded of my money.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinko View Post
I would love it if this stupid thing just WORKED. I bought the damn game, installed it, and it's choppy and slow and impossible to navigate and the bloody joystick doesn't work. My system exceeds the requirements:

AMD FX6200
16GB DDR3-1600
GEForce 9500GT, 1GB VRAM
Logitech Extreme3D Joystick

All I see in the forums is "you have to go into this file and that file and change this to that and edit this config file in order to get it to work." I don't WANT to have to have a Ph.D in computer programming in order to play a game I SPENT MONEY ON. I want to play the damned game.

Is that too much to ask? What I might want is my money back. Just like when I foolishly bought that useless game Lock On: Modern Air Combat, I feel like I've been defrauded of my money.
Hi and welcome

First off all, you have to understand that Cliffs of Dover is a SIMULATOR, like Lock on. It is in the nature of Simulators that they are complex pieces of software.
What`s more is that Cliffs of Dover has been published before it`s code was fully optimized, so in some ways, you are correct when you say it is a "crapy" game (because it is not optimized). Cliffs of Dover beeing published too early is a long story I won`t explain here.

So this sums all up to: No you don`t need to have a PhD in programming, but you need to be willing to change a file into that or replace something sometimes.
But: don`t worry about that, help here is great and we won`t let you alone.

Something you also have to know that Cliffs of Dover due to it`s unoptimized state is very hardware-demanding. 1GB of VRAM is the absolute minimum ( I know the game box says 512MB, but as I said: long story why it was published too eraly...).

What might help is installing the Team Fusion-Patch:
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=3777

and do this:
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=1806

Good luck and let us know if it works!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Approved Member

I agree with what Continu0 says, your cpu is certainly good enough. the weak part is your graphics card. I'm running 2 gts 450's in Sli 1gb of v/ram and that is struggling at times. this game calls for at least 2gb of v/ram to get the best out of it. When I first got C.o.D. I had a dual core with 2gb of ram and a 9600gt with 1gb v/ram, I could get it running ok but had to turn down a lot of the features to low---med in the settings. An upgrade with a video card would make a major difference (2gb v/ram min) and Nvidia cards seem to have the least problems with drivers.

Just seek help here, there are a lot of members who are more than willing to help you, just ask for help politely and you will get the support you need.

Asus M4N98TD-EVO
AMD Phenom2 965 x 4 3.4gig
8gig DDR3 Ram
2x GTS 450 Sli (1gig each)
1Tb HDD Partitioned x 5
700w Coolermaster single rail P/S 52a
Windows 7 64bit
19" Samsung 931BW monitor
1280 x 960 Resolution
Old 05-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Approved Member

What a great reply! Dignified, informative and worthy of this forum. Continu0 gets an A+ for his work here!

ASUS Rampage III Formula, I7-950 O/C to 4.2GHz, 12 GB Corsair 1603MHz RAM, SanDisk 240GB SSD, EVGA GTX 780, X-Fi Titanium Sound, 1KW PSU, 30" Dell U3011 monitor, TrackIR5, modified Saitek X-52 & Combat Rudder Pedals, Buttkicker Seat Feel, Win 7 Pro, EVGA Precision X, VAC System voice control.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxfred View Post
What a great reply! Dignified, informative and worthy of this forum. Continu0 gets an A+ for his work here!
I just thought the same!!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinko View Post

AMD FX6200
16GB DDR3-1600
GEForce 9500GT, 1GB VRAM
Logitech Extreme3D Joystick.
your system doesnt exceed the requirements at all, specifically your gfx card is from 3 or 4 generations ago, and even then it was a mid level card. if you look at the system requirement list, you'll see the 9800 card series is "supported", eg it will run with it, but you'll need to set the game gfx settings accordingly to take account of the low performance card you have. btw for most modern games you might be playing on your pc at the moment, that old gfx card you have will already be the bottle neck on your system, and flightsim's are the most demanding types of games on gfx card and cpu load, so those games will show your system weakness the most. that is of course presuming you are running at 1680 x 1050 or lower. if you have a 1920 x 1080 (or 1200) monitor and are trying to use that resolution (or even higher), i wouldnt bother if i were you, your gfx card cant handle that resolution for CoD

at 1680 x 1050 the game will run for you (presuming you have allowed steam to fully update it to the latest official 1c patches, also using win7 is important), and you will need to set all the gfx details to minimum at first. once you have it running smoothly like that, install the TF patch (which will improve fpsec performance) and then gradually experiment with setting some of the gfx settings a little higher (keep trees, terrain details, and visibility distance to low). there are lots of posts on this forum of what settings you might be able to increase without getting to much of a fpsec hit, and which ones to avoid because your system cant cope.
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children

Last edited by zapatista; 06-01-2013 at 01:10 AM.