Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Approved Member

Default Cliffs Of Dover on a MAC ?!?

http://il2sturmovik.ubi.com/cliffs-o...ming-soon.aspx

Bottom of the page, PC-MAC DVD

Is that an error on UBI's part or is IL2-CoD really going to be cross platform. I've not seen any info on that during all the time I've been following progress
Old 01-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Approved Member

Very interesting...
Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM
speculum jockey

That just means that it will be distributed on standard DVD's as opposed to CD's or HD-DVD's or Blueray disks. PC-Mac just means the industry standard DVD's as opposed to some moon-disc that nobody's ever heard of.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Approved Member

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Besides, the game's DirectX so it would be a nasty port to make.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=EAF92_Brigstock;214428]http://il2sturmovik.ubi.com/cliffs-o...ming-soon.aspx

Is that an error on UBI's part or is IL2-CoD really going to be cross platform. I've not seen any info on that during all the time I've been following progress[/QUOTE

Why would they want to spend the resources to make a mac port to only sell a handful of copies??
Old 01-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAF92_Brigstock View Post

Is that an error on UBI's part or is IL2-CoD really going to be cross platform. I've not seen any info on that during all the time I've been following progress[/QUOTE

Why would they want to spend the resources to make a mac port to only sell a handful of copies??
Apple are the new MS. That old adage about 95% PC 5% MAC is changing rapidly. Just check Apple share price against MS.

But I do agree with the above posts. I'm presuming it's PC only too, just not seen that logo before today
Old 01-21-2011, 01:27 AM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Apple are the new MS. That old adage about 95% PC 5% MAC is changing rapidly. Just check Apple share price against MS.

But I do agree with the above posts. I'm presuming it's PC only too, just not seen that logo before today
I think that apple share prices might have something to do with their cornering of the mp3, smartphone and tablet market as opposed to the amount of hipsters who buy their PC's.

As of Dec 2010 Apple had about 12.26% of the PC market (including laptops). About 95% of those apple PC's most likely do not have the required hardware to even consider running Cliffs of Dover.

The idea of having COD run on an Apple has probably never crossed any of the developer's minds in a non-ironic sense..
Old 01-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speculum jockey View Post

That just means that it will be distributed on standard DVD's as opposed to CD's or HD-DVD's or Blueray disks. PC-Mac just means the industry standard DVD's as opposed to some moon-disc that nobody's ever heard of.
Never saw that icon before either on a PC only software (when both names shown, it is dual platform).
Please provide an example of this showing same icon on a non-Mac software that has that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrunch View Post
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Besides, the game's DirectX so it would be a nasty port to make.
Does not have to be hard.
I know one game that used OpenGL for Mac port, and DX for WIndows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
Quote:

1. The Mac platform has very few Flight sim style games, so they have a potentially huge unexploited market.

2. Apple uses ATI or Nvidea chips in all its computers except the lowest end MacBook and MacBook Air. Even last 2 years of the tiny MacMini is using an Nvidia GeForce 9400M with 256 MiB of DDR3 SDRAM or currently NVIDIA GeForce 320M with 256MiB of DDR3 SDRAM

3. Mac's have been steadily gaining market-share and forecasts show sustained growth.

4. Historically it is much easier to support Apple computers then Windows because very well documented hardware/software (many companies have dozens of Windows support people, but only 1 or 2 for Mac).

5. iPhone/iPod/iPad success.

6. Windows is sooooooo 2000.

At the very least UBI is being smart by supporting a resurgent platform, and at best they could potential see large revenues from that market.

EDIT: Download is PC, found that on UBI site.

Last edited by Flying Pencil; 01-22-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Meant OpenGL,not OpenAL
Old 01-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pencil View Post
Never saw that icon before either on a PC only software (when both names shown, it is dual platform).
Please provide an example of this showing same icon on a non-Mac software that has that.

Does not have to be hard.
I know one game that used OpenAL for Mac port, and DX for WIndows.

1. The Mac platform has very few Flight sim style games, so they have a potentially huge unexploited market.

2. Apple uses ATI or Nvidea chips in all its computers except the lowest end MacBook and MacBook Air. Even last 2 years of the tiny MacMini is using an Nvidia GeForce 9400M with 256 MiB of DDR3 SDRAM or currently NVIDIA GeForce 320M with 256MiB of DDR3 SDRAM

3. Mac's have been steadily gaining market-share and forecasts show sustained growth.

4. Historically it is much easier to support Apple computers then Windows because very well documented hardware/software (many companies have dozens of Windows support people, but only 1 or 2 for Mac).

5. iPhone/iPod/iPad success.

6. Windows is sooooooo 2000.

At the very least UBI is being smart by supporting a resurgent platform, and at best they could potential see large revenues from that market.

EDIT: Download is PC, found that on UBI site.
Your living in a fantasy world. Predominant mac user is computer illiterate and has no interest in gaming. Every person I know who owned a Mac was a completly computer illiterate. Tell me how easy is it to upgrade a mac for cpu, ram and video card. And what does apple charge for said hardware?? And news today says anyone who brings in there iphone 4 for service is haveing the philips screws changed to secure pentalobe screws so they cant change there own batteries. Is this a company you want to support?? They make UBI look good!!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:28 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pencil View Post
Huge market? 12.26% of the computer market is Mac. A large portion of those computers would be work PC's and laptops. All the people I know who use Macs are either computer illiterate or usign them for graphics/publishing purposes.

The other 88% of the PC market is Windows, of which probably less than 0.5% play flight sims. Now take the Mac market, and lets say that 1% are interested in flight sims. You've got a tiny, tiny, tiny market who you would be wasting development resources and money on for almost no benefit. I wouldn't be surprised if the porting costs would be much much more for even optamistic sales in the Mac market.

That logo is either a mistake or like I said earlier, just pointing out that the physical copy of the game is being distributed on the more than decade old DVD standard that is currently used by most PC's (Windows and Mac).

p.s. are current joystick/hotas/tracking software even readily avalible in a Mac format?

Porting and Marketing a flight sim for the Mac would be like marketing downhill skiiing equipment for Cuba. Not worth it.

Last edited by speculum jockey; 01-21-2011 at 03:30 PM.