Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Default Comments on hardware for the IL-2 series...

Hello,

It's been 8 years since putting together my last computer system for use in enjoying IL-2. I am, by no means, anywhere near a "pro" when it comes to building computer systems and am looking for your suggestions as far as hardware goes.

I realize the minimum requirements for use but the purpose of this thread is to ask what you folks are using in your systems?

Maybe this is a silly question to ask but I am getting ready to buy a brand new set up and would love to hear what you folks are using and your "likes" and "dislikes" are...

Thanks!

Steve
Old 03-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Approved Member

Hi

Things did not change too much. You still need a good CPU, a good Graphics Card and a certain amount of RAM (not more than 8GB for games tough).

If you want a completely new system, I would start to read trough tests, gamer-magazines, etc. I built a complete new system a couple of months ago and am happy with it. You can get the necessary Infos from the internet.

That beeing said, I would go with a i5 or i7 CPU.

As for the graphics card, most people recommend NVidia. I don`t really see why, because most if not all games run very well with AMD cards and at the moment they offer the most for the price with their new r9 series. There is an unsolved problem with withe lines appearing on the LOD-Box with AMD Cards in Cliffs of Dover. This might be solved in TF 4.2 as well, I don`t know.

As for the RAM, you can`t do anything wrong. Go with 8GB (1600mhz) in dual channel mode and you are okay!

What I really can recommend is an SSD. This gives you a major performance when it comes to loading things and booting the system.

That`s it from my side for now. If you have any specific questions, don`t hesistate to ask!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Thanks ContinuO!

I'll keep the SSD in mind...
Old 03-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Approved Member

Hi Salvo,

to run CoD without hassles you basically still need a high end gaming pc (at release time only uber gaming pc's were able to run it). the TF patches have helped a great deal, but it hasnt really lowered system requirements if you want to run it well (high detail settings and good fpsec's).

for cpu, even if AMD on paper shows good gaming performance in many games and gaming performance tests, for high cpu load games like flightsims intel is still consistently a better choice (if you dont have to penny pinch). i have had some amd cpu's in the past (2 systems i built) but i regretted every one. when i go current model higher end intel (but not uber), i have never regretted it, had lots of bang for my buck depending on the money i was prepared to spend, and the systems lasted me for years.
- my suggestion would be an i5 or i7 cpu with at least 4 cores, and if you pay 20 or 30$ more for a cpu model that is unlocked you can always later try and add 10 or 20% more performance by overclocking it.
- the most recent i5 and i7 models run cooler and use less watts then previous models (important) but they performance is not that much higher to call it a major step up from what was around a couple of years ago. sadly intel consistently changes cpu pins and ram slots, so focus on good items there from the start at purchase and the other parts you can always upgrade later. have a look at tomshardware site (or anadtech etc) and read some of their cpu/gpu performance reviews (they are regularly updated several times per year), and check what they recommend in motherboard cpu format (which might well not be the latest format if you want best bang per buck for your system, since newest cpu format boards are always significantly more expensive for cpu motherboard and ram formats etc)

for GPU, Nvidia would be my recommendation (i am currently using a mid range ati) and ideally you'd want a higher end current model with 3gb vram. most players with 2gb vram on those cards are happy campers in CoD, so if you can save some money that way it is not that big of an issue.
- Nvidia has recently developed a new technology called " G-Sync Technology", which is already available in their higher end cards. for it to work you need a compatible monitor, but it looks very promising and indeed will be a major "game changer" partic for high cpu/gpu resource demand games like flightsims, it significantly improves fpsec fluidity and reduces stuttering, tearing etc when your system might not have coped well before. new monitors that use that technology are already becoming available (24' and some larger 27' to), its just worthwhile to consider to reduce the redundancy speed of whatever hardware you might buy now.
http://techreport.com/blog/25542/a-f...-nvidia-g-sync
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...itor,3699.html
(ati is working on a similar technology, but a bit slower out of the blocks)
- when CoD was under development, afaik the creators only had access to Nvidia card samples, and they favored those therefore. more bugs have been reported with ati card owners since release

those are the main points
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children

Last edited by zapatista; 03-08-2014 at 04:08 PM.