Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Approved Member

It's not a game?

I'm going to be very disappointed if this turns out to be some sort of film or book. Not that there's anything wrong with either of these, it's just that after playing IL2 for so many years I was really looking forward to playing what I had up until now thought was its sequel.

Can anyone else confirm this?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
First, it is not a game.

Second, it will have a full mission builder and support for 3rd party campaign system (more than RoF provides). So, you will eventually have loads of historically detailed linear campaigns, one or more dynamic campaign engines and possibly even have a strategic campaign (as past BoB sims had).
First, yes it is a game you clot. Will I see it reviewed in PC Format or the Times Literary Supplement?

Second, I don't care what the game will be like in 18 months when the modders have been at it. I want a decent game out of the box, preferably one that's more advanced (in terms of gameplay) than 1989's 'Their Finest Hour'.

Last edited by Kano_Magnus; 01-26-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kano_Magnus View Post
"The campaign thrusts the player into the middle of the Battle of Britain, where he will join the Royal Air Force to fight the Messerschmitt and renegade pilots on his own side."

(from http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/en...ctID.221859200)

Seriously, is this a joke?
Friendly Fire?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Approved Member

To OP: It is bit creepy

Youtube Profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/E69Qpassa
Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Approved Member

Default as long as we dont get

Old 01-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Approved Member

Nice!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novotny View Post
It's not a game?

I'm going to be very disappointed if this turns out to be some sort of film or book. Not that there's anything wrong with either of these, it's just that after playing IL2 for so many years I was really looking forward to playing what I had up until now thought was its sequel.

Can anyone else confirm this?
It is a detailed historical simulation. A document. A cathedral to memory.

A game is something you pick up, learn to use in five minutes and throw out after playing it twice. Simmers may play games, but we aren't really Gamers in the modern console-player sense, are we?

It takes a completely different attitude to recreation.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Approved Member

Oh come on....it's this exact attitude of riding our high horse that we all display at times that turns away newcomers from the genre and i'm not singling anyone out in particular here...i've been guilty of the same thing in the past until i realized we're shutting ourselves out from possibly bringing "new blood" into the hobby, even the limited number of people who would actually be interested in trying their hand at it.

It's no shame to call it game. Saying it's a game doesn't mean it can't be intellectually challenging or teach you stuff, don't you think?
For example rolling dice is a game, then chess is a game too...one is pure luck, the other involves some thinking to actually be good at to be the point it can be considered a sport.

In fact, even games that are based on luck can be made challenging and be considered mental sports if the rules are complex enough, for example the difference between simple games of cards and complicated ones like poker, where you can win by other means despite being unlucky and drawing the worst hand. Or in another case, pen and paper role playing games...they too use dice (albeit up to 20-sided ones) but the rules make sure it's not all about luck.

However, people still say "let's play a round of chess" just like they say "let's play a round of cards" and nobody takes offence, you hardly see anyone saying "let's stimulate our analytical mental faculties and intellect with a round of simulated, turn-based, movement restricted warfare with wooden soldier pieces"
Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avimimus View Post
It is a detailed historical simulation. A document. A cathedral to memory.

A game is something you pick up, learn to use in five minutes and throw out after playing it twice. Simmers may play games, but we aren't really Gamers in the modern console-player sense, are we?

It takes a completely different attitude to recreation.
Yes it is those things, but above that of course it is a computer game and is classed as one. We still PLAY the game.

The word game covers far more than what you described. Chess is a game for example and people who play that live their whole lives continueing to learn new tactics and stratagies.

Nobody said anything about being a "gamer" a word that has come to mean a person who plays video games.

Edit: I agree with Blackdog. Sorry I didn't read your post before I replied.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 01-26-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il2Pongo View Post
Our .303's will have absolutly no effect on this at all. I think we will need cannons!

Cheers!