Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:14 AM
Approved Member

Default So what's good with this game then?

Got some friends in the US who I send updates about CloD now and then.

In the last mail they asked me what I think is good about CloD compared to IL-2 1946.
I could only find two. Could you help me out and find some more.

Compiled a list from posters suggestions. Looks like a nice game.

1. Much better Damage Modelling and Flight Modelling (when all is fixed)
2. Better graphics, both cockpit and landscape(when 1C manage to fix shimmering buildings/popup buildings/flickering shadows and flashing clouds/etc).
3. Shadows in cockpit are beautiful
4. 1C approved SDK (when 1C release it)
5. Anti-Cheat for multiplayer
6. Complex engine management (No more B.S. "CEM" that gives you a "engine overheat" message, where you then open radiator fully, and magically engine is "normal" and like brand new; repeat ad infinitum.)
7. Amazing FMB options. Really comprehensive FMB that only misses comprehensive documentation to go with it.
8. People might not agree but auto patching through steam in my eyes is a plus compared to what we had in original Il-2.
9. Ability to customise weapon loadouts. The player can now configure his ammo belt however he wants.
10. Clickable cockpit. I know some don't like it but for me it's really kewl.
11. Extremely flexible game engine (e.g. support for user controlled ground or sea units, new missions loading in the current one in real time, triggers, weather, etc.)
12. C# scripting with unlimited possibilities (can program whatever you like except for FM and DM)
13. Multiplayer is not artificially limited to dogfight or coop. It can be anything you like: Capture airfields in Warbirds style or Warfare in ArmA2 style.
14. Clouds move with wind.
15. Building pop up at much further distance (compare looking at Folkestone from Hawkinge in Il-2 1946 mod map).
16. Motorways and railways with curves!
17. Animations of pilot bailing out, looks sharp even from larger distance.
18. Airfield AI that puts a runway marker out automatically so you see the correct runway to land on.
19. Canopy icing and pitot heater. Note to self, no carbheaters in the spit.
20. Very impressive Explosions, looks like real.

Some comments:
- "Best "flight experience" I've ever had in a combat sim, IL-2 comes second."
- "It's hard for me to describe, but the overall atmospheric ambience of CoD when you're sitting in the cockpit is unequalled anywhere"

Last edited by Vengeanze; 05-31-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added stuff from other posters.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:27 AM
Approved Member

4. 1C approved SDK (when 1C release it)
5. Anti-Cheat for multiplayer
Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 AM
Approved Member

6. Complex engine management.
7. Amazing FMB options.
8. People might not agree but auto patching through steam in my eyes is a plus compared to what we had in original Il-2.
9. Ability to customise weapon loadouts

Last edited by Sauf; 05-30-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:43 AM
Approved Member

CLOT
you get steam massage
you get epilepsy protection as U.S. player

you get a good game

Sorry. I couldn't hold back after flying UP 3.0 last half hour. It's good. G limits on the jets much fun.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:59 AM
Approved Member

Thanks.

Got to add one more myself

10. Clickable cockpit. I know some don't like it but for me it's really kewl.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:19 AM
Approved Member

You get a sim that will stand the test of time as well or better than IL2:1946 once it gets the baseline optimization and fixes it needs to become a "1.0" product.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Approved Member

- extremely flexible engine (e.g. support for drivable ground or sea units, new missions loading in the current one in real time, triggers, weather, etc.)
- C# scripting with unlimited possibilities (can program whatever you like except for FM and DM)
- multiplayer is not artificially limited to dogfight or coop. It can be anything you like: Capture airfields in Warbirds style or Warfare in ArmA2 style.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Approved Member

In addition to that already mentioned, I'd say damage modelling is far superior in Clod.

Triggers and scripts in the FMB make the FMB very flexible, although there are features such as the destruction tool that is missing, and hopefully will be incorporated one day.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs down what`s good about the game ?

...good question asked in the wrong moment because right now there is nothing good about it, neither offline nor online.

Offline so many things are missing (battleships etc.,...) the campagnes and single missions are boring and made in a sloppy and negligent way, online its not better. You only have warping planes and missing sound.
All in all its no fun !

Maybe you ask that question again in a few months when they will have patches to fix the crap. Normally you expect patches to fix bugs and stuff, here you have the opportunity to watch how patches cause other crap, (example - proppitch 109) so better wait, maybe half a year until the worst will be hopefully ironed out.
At the moment you better go and play "fishing simulator", that is probably more fun!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Approved Member

lol