Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Approved Member

Why does everyone come to this forum to praise WoP? Don't they have their own? lol
Old 05-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Approved Member

"Just imagine CloD with WoP map."

I'm sorry I can't; the concept is just too stupid on too many levels for me to consider.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Approved Member

WOP looks great at a glance but when I got down low and had a closer look at the trees and houses. The shadows were just drawn on the ground as part of the ground texture. There's a huge saving in fps. WOP doesn't compute tree/building shadows in real time and so you can't change the time of day.

Get down low in COD and you can see more and more detailed ground objects. High rez textures and even grass. All with real time shadows that can changed with the time of day and have beautiful dawn and dusk.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAim View Post
"Just imagine CloD with WoP map."

I'm sorry I can't; the concept is just too stupid on too many levels for me to consider.
Make your point. Why is it stupid?.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:11 AM
Approved Member

WOP is nice in a Hollywood sort of way, but really WOP is so smooth with little or no pop ups etc because the horizon is a lot closer than in CoD and the map itself is tiny, even the no pop-up is replaced by a lot of shadowy buildings that gradually clear, it is a better way of doing it than CoD but really, do you want tiny maps, modelled with modern building placement or something a bit more realistic in size, modelling England as it was in 1940, just my thoughts, I guess we all are looking for different things.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:58 AM
Approved Member

Really, beyond comparing steak to Spam I think both sides are right. It's much, much more resource intensive doing the scale that CloD has to process not to mention individual plane AI, but there is a lot of room for efficiency improvement.

We really are still in beta right now so they're tacking on stuff as they can manage then optimizing. We'll see, but the flickering shadows really gotta go...
Old 05-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derinahon View Post
Why does everyone come to this forum to praise WoP? Don't they have their own? lol
The comparison has direct relevance and is a valid discussion
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_uk View Post
Plz no more, What if Cod was Wop,
Im felling suicidal
then don't participate!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme262 View Post
Get down low in COD and you can see more and more detailed ground objects. High rez textures and even grass. All with real time shadows that can changed with the time of day and have beautiful dawn and dusk.
I agree with you; up close the detail of the vegetation in CoD is awesome but it disappears at 30 meter distance When flying (99% of time) and at low altitudes then the trees have a kind of cartoon appearance and is a reality passion killer. I just hope and trust that these will be fixed some day.

Last edited by biltongbru; 05-22-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biltongbru View Post
CloD is the most fantastic combat flight sim but it seems that the landscape rendering is causing the major fps/stuttering problems. Wings of Prey is not actually comparable but inferior to Clod in most aspects especially gameplay, aircraft modelling, mission building and lack of any editable land objects but I must admit that the landscape looks much more realistic and has smooth rendering during game play. I wonder why the Maddox team did not use similar algorithms for their mapping coding, but I think there should have been good reasons for this decision.

http://vimeo.com/14661191

WoP landscape looks much more realistic and has smooth rendering during game play exactly BECAUSE of inferior aircraft modelling, mission building and lack of any editable land objects.

Ask yourselfe why RoF for ex, have major stutter issues as soon as the try to load more than 30-40 objects at the same time.

Ask yourselfe why RoF for ex, have, what, 2,5 km visibillity distance (other aircrafts).

Etc, etc.

Im not using CoD as an example because everyone automaticly assumes everything is broken in it.

Last edited by Baron; 05-22-2011 at 08:01 AM.