Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Approved Member

Everything far more playable for me. No stutters and good frame rates over water even at 1920x1080, really quite silky.

i7 920 @3.8Ghz
GTX285
6GB RAM
Windows 7

Last edited by sallee; 04-23-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Approved Member

very good work. Frame rate very much improved!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Approved Member

Just upgraded my machine with new MOBO, RAM, HD & Win7 64bit.

I haven't played COD since installing your first patch... And boy, with this new patch the game is running Muuuch MUUUCHHH better...

Totally playable overland with medium settings (cept PLANE, DM and Effects on highest) - 28-45 fps.

I tried putting everything on max - and it was almost playable overland - So great! (-/+ 9-16 fps) - So brilliant job Team Maddox.

CPU usagge still heavily favours core No1 and overall COD doesn't use more than 45% total CPU power - It hovers between 29%-31% spiking to 45% at times
but I can certainly see it trying to use the other 3 cores.

Oh yes... res is 1680x1050 22"

Thanks again guys.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE | Nvid 260GT | 4gb 1333 Only one Dimm - unganged cheap-ass ram | SEAGATE 500gb HD | Gigabyte 880G D2H Mobo | TIR 4
Old 05-02-2011, 01:55 AM
Approved Member

Forgive me for my ignorance but I have been away from PC gaming and IL2 for a couple years.(turned into somewhat of a PS3 and 360 fanboy)

Is this Cliffs of Dover the much anticipated Battle of Britain? They changed the name and went for name recognition?

Im very interested in hearing opinions from the old vets of the franchise. Those who were flying with me back in 2001-2008. What do you guys think? I respect your opinions and I am very anxious to hear what you guys think. I guess I waited on this game so long it kinda just faded from my memory a bit. I still got my CH gear and TIR and it would be great to get up and flying again.

If you could shoot me a PM detailing what has changed and how the UI and online is I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
HaVoK

FYI I will refuse to refer to this games as COD....bad memories.

Last edited by VMF-214_HaVoK; 05-02-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMF-214_HaVoK View Post
Forgive me for my ignorance but I have been away from PC gaming and IL2 for a couple years.(turned into somewhat of a PS3 and 360 fanboy)

Is this Cliffs of Dover the much anticipated Battle of Britain? They changed the name and went for name recognition?

Im very interested in hearing opinions from the old vets of the franchise. Those who were flying with me back in 2001-2008. What do you guys think? I respect your opinions and I am very anxious to hear what you guys think. I guess I waited on this game so long it kinda just faded from my memory a bit. I still got my CH gear and TIR and it would be great to get up and flying again.

If you could shoot me a PM detailing what has changed and how the UI and online is I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
HaVoK

FYI I will refuse to refer to this games as COD....bad memories.
IMHO................ my 2p..............

Well you could call it "BoB the CoD" if that makes you feel better because, yes, it was to be the first installment of Storm of War and named Battle of Britain. As far as many can work out Ubisoft decided against that, perhaps for two reasons: There are several Battle of Britain sims/games out there already (not difficult to live with as SoW:BoB is fairly distinctive); The Maddox "IL-2 Sturmovik" brand has been pretty successful and acknowledged by many as the best in class although perhaps fading a little against later engines. But what an IL-2 has to do with the Battle of Britain only God, and presumably Ubisoft, knows. I think the Ubi marketeers are confused, condescending and perhaps living on another planet.

As for CoD itself I think you'll find opinions generally fall into four categories (as far as I can tell):

1. Those that are deeply disappointed or even hate it because they cannot get it running at all on their PCs. I think those numbers are falling but they are still there. Its hard to tell if this is due to bugs in the software or something strange in their setups but I know some of them will say they have a very up to date rig and still can't get it running. Unfortunately without knowing their rigs in full detail plus what is running on them its hard to find the answer when others with the same rigs have no problems. So I fully commiserate with them but don't understand why it won't run bearing in mind the software is a constant across all the user's PCs.

2. I believe there are some who's rigs are simply not up to running CoD very well due to their PC's age/spec and their expectations that they can get high performance from them in CoD. I can only repeat or paraphrase what Oleg said a long time ago: "You will need a PC that can run IL-2 very well to run SoW (read CoD) at low settings". A lot of people, including me and all my buddies with a decent graphics card (within a generation or two and 1Gb + memory) are happily running it at various settings/performance levels. Yes, probably half of them had to upgrade their old graphics cards to the 69XX/GTX570/580 level and at least one was already on GTX480-type level and running ok. The 250s and such didn't seem to hack it very well at decent settings and at least one buddy upgraded his 250. I think more performance improvements will come but IMHO I think some people may be expecting too much of their older setups. Maybe 1C didn't intend that but I think that's where we are. You can of course set very low settings but it would look much worse than IL-2 1946.

3. Everyone agrees there are undoubtedly many bugs in CoD although the 1C team are working hard, with community feedback, to fix these. No-one I talk to is in any doubt that CoD is really at beta level and in some aspects perhaps even alpha (if there is such a thing). Many performance issues are being adressed, e.g. fps is on the increase, but there are also game play issues like reversed mixture in some (all?) Spits, 109 performance suspicions, etc. Also there are some frustrating issues with the graphical interface which is disliked by some, liked by others and which sometimes seems clunky. Then there is the FMB which has more in it than IL-2 but is a bit of a mystery without a manual although many people are learning it and sharing knowledge and missions on the forum.

4. A lot of people, including me and all my buddies with decent graphics cards (within a generation or two and 1Gb + memory) are happily running it at various settings/performance levels. Generally speaking the CPU on our first/second and perhaps third generation CPUs isn't troubled too much by CoD and most have at least 4Gb RAM now but its the 1Gb+ Graphics Cards that seem to hold the key. Some of my buddies have still to upgrade. Once in the game it is well worth it. At last we have 6DoF viewing and it seems to be implemented quite well. I fly with the canopy open a lot to get a better view and I think, at least in the Hurris and Spits, its pretty well on the mark whether open or closed. The Terrain seems a bit overcoloured in places and a bit Walt Disney in presentation (oversimplified?) but I'm not dogfighting trees so I don't worry about that and perhaps it will improve later. The aircraft detail is great the higher you go with the settings. The Complex Engine Management means more work as you have to keep an eye on and manage the engine but you get used to it. There is the feeling that you are flying the aeroplane instead of just walling the trottle and fighting in it. The flight modelling has a better feel to it, there is more movement of the aircraft in the air which means its harder to hit your targets but its not extreme. You can land a Spitfire now without it bouncing around like a drunken turkey if your touchdown is off by a degree or two (IL-2 1946!). The variable loadouts are fun to play with and quite effective. It is possible to achieve perhaps 3 or 4 fighter kills in a sortie with the Spit/Hurri loadout if you get lucky (or good) and the damage model means you don't get so much of the flaming/flying/fighting enemy for minutes on end as you did in IL-2 1946. But it's more likely that you will only get 1 or 2 kills. Scores are given as Kills for which you get apportioned your effort/result, so you may get a kill reported as made by two or three of you and you get perhaps 0.35 kill for it. All your own work means a full 1 kill.

Am I a sycophantic "fanboy"? No but I am very positive about CoD. There is quite a bit to fix but I can see that it will be a great simulation once 1C get it sorted. It already is in many respects.

What I would like now are some internet servers with good mission objectives. There are several good servers out there but as far as I can tell the ones I have tried are essentially dogfight with some AI thrown in but no actual win objectives. But we're all still learning.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders

Last edited by klem; 05-02-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Approved Member

For me CoD is playable since the second beta patch (as mentioned in a previous post). I have got some launcher.exe crashes, which i cannot reproduce... I am sure, that 1C get it sorted. They did a great job over the last weeks in improving the game / fixing issues.

On Internetgaming there is some stuttering especially when starting. This disappears after a few seconds.

I hope, that the performance issue problem now is "fixed" so that other bugs can be ironed out:

Thinking of AI, sideways moving planes, which normally should not move because the engine is off, a fix for the not working radio...

Is there a offical Scoreboard for online gaming, showing the kills of a pilot (would be nice)?

The coolest feature (which is not implemented (yet?)) would have been an dynamic campaign...
Old 05-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Default IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover update 2

you can run il2 C.A.D whit any probleme
download link
http://depositfiles.com/en/files/k366qnbke
Old 05-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 352ndBushpilot View Post
Downloading! And thanks a lot!

352ndBP
And it still dosen't work. Shame on you Oleg!