Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Approved Member

If development by several third parties all used the same engine, it could work. The complicated/high-detailed modeling and art assets need only be on the client side for each individual sim. Then for example the infantry sim would just have to be told where the planes are etc., and the flight sim would only need to be told where the infantry and tanks were and what they were doing, and need display them at a vastly lower level of detail only compared with the infantry/tank sim itself. Would need some very clever netcode, though. All in all I don't expect it will happen in this generation of games or the next. Would be pretty amazing though.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Approved Member

I am pretty sure that this list is only the stuff given to the beta testers and that there will be a lot more in the release. Just take the trains that are not listed or the entire artillery cannons missing from that list.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Approved Member

Take into account as well that in the actual WW2 theater there were fronts where the ground units were set and much of the combat occured. There would be no reason to make the ground units move as far the aerial units as that would also be unrealistic.

I never claimed they were also considering FPS type infantry either. Just Oleg said they have more or less paved the way for manable ground vehicles. I do think that FPS game play may be a bit out of the realm of possibility, but not so for ground vehicles.

Yes, you would sacrifice graphical bling on the ground for a much larger scale of operation, but would that really be so bad when you would have realistic aerial and ground war going on simultaneously in a "large scale" combat operation? Imagine something like the North African campaign where you have tanks engaging one another while at the same time aerial support on both sides trying to defend their comrades on the ground and simultaneously destroy the oppositions units.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Approved Member

BF1942 in my opinion was the best MP combat game EVER.

The "complete" WWII sim is near, much more near than people believe.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBiSoMeM View Post
BF1942 in my opinion was the best MP combat game EVER.

The "complete" WWII sim is near, much more near than people believe.
And it was far from realistic, the ultimate ww2 sim is far from here and no one would wanna spend the
amount of resources and time into making it either especially since the reward from doing it would be far from worth it.

I'd say play Ro2 for your inf, armor fix and play il2 for your flight fix and you've got the best of two worlds,
combining them would just result in a mediocre middle ware with far less details and accuracy on their main areas.

Last edited by zauii; 03-04-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Approved Member

I hope to the gods that IL2 CoD will never ever go down that road..
Using the same engine to produce a ground war in WWII, a seperate release, yes, no drama, but I really hope Oleg never goes down the BF 1942 route, that would ultimately lead to the end of a WWII aviation community.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zauii View Post
Maps / Quality:

If you expect a ground simulation on the scale of IL2 maps to work together with IL2 aka a multi simulation that includes tanks,
infantry and aircraft all detailed and simulated as much as possible you're asking for far too much.

to a flight sim map which is a lot less detailed, meaning any kind of detailed world or large scale map would take forever to model in Unreal engine 3 quality.

Fun factor
Even if its a simulator the fun will be completly gone. If you model the distances in a flight sim for the infantry and vehicles on the ground we're talking hours of driving,
not to mention a very dull and undetailed ground world.. something that would be utterly boring from the 1st person perspective.

Secondly you would need thousands and thousands of players to even make it remotely interesting,
or hey lets play 32vs32 infantry combat on a map as large as Britain..

Hardware/Resources/Size
The game would be gignormous not only in size but it would take forever to develop, and what you might get out of a finished product of this type,
is not even close to worth the development cost.. thats without even mentioning how much a game like that would drain your system.
You are grossly incorrect.

WW2 Online has managed to make a reasonably playable combined arms game that uses a few tricks to make the ground war a little faster.
And you do not need very large numbers of players in a local area to make it work. Squad level skirmishes can be very challenging.

The real trick is trying to herd the cats into a reasonable organized force/ That's the challenge, and thats not so much software related.

BTW, what is RO2?
Ragnarok Online 2??
Old 03-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Approved Member

well battleground europe works, and that engine is werry werry old. Maby the rats should look at MR`s new engine......its not a perfect game, but it can be loads of fun....
Old 03-05-2011, 06:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pencil View Post
You are grossly incorrect.

WW2 Online has managed to make a reasonably playable combined arms game that uses a few tricks to make the ground war a little faster.
And you do not need very large numbers of players in a local area to make it work. Squad level skirmishes can be very challenging.

The real trick is trying to herd the cats into a reasonable organized force/ That's the challenge, and thats not so much software related.

BTW, what is RO2?
Ragnarok Online 2??
I think he means Red Orchestra 2 an upcoming fps. After all FPSes are clearly strong simulations of ground combat.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Approved Member

The closest thing that I am aware of to a full war sim is ArmA 2. It has reasonably realistic ground combat over areas large enough for aircraft to maneuver meaningfully. However, the aircraft flight models are extremely simplistic.

Nonetheless I think the game proves that such a game is well within the grasp of home computers in the next couple of years, however it would be a monumental programming task with a restricted market (by the standards of the mass-market game industry) Because of this it would require a daring and dedicated development team, probably from a smaller company. Also even at ArmA 2's level of complexity the game and its expansions have been been plagued by bugs since its release, though it has steadily gotten better and better.

So for now I dream of such a game but I will not hold my breath. Heck I would be super impressed just to see something like large numbers of low-poly infantrymen put into a game like CoD, even if they weren't playable. imagine them scattering for the hedges as you strafe a column on a road! Arguably developers might be leery about putting that in because of the graphic nature.