Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Nonsense. It's a game. You are shooting pixel bullets at pixel pilots. If you cannot distinguish between what happens online and the reality of war, then you are taking this far too seriously.

And besides, if you shoot them during the time between when they jump and their parachute opens then you are not "chute shooting". It's darn difficult, and great sport.
I dont get what the problem is with shooting a bailing pilot in real life is, let alone in this game. The whole point is to kill or be killed, you want to bail out in front of me your going to get a bullet in the ass. If I could be certain not to damage my aircraft I would save ammo and run into him with my prop, but thats just me, a bloody American.

Last edited by Hunden; 03-03-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
Ace ladder?
You know, if I was a brit, I would shoot down rescue planes. I would also seriously think about shooting enemy parachuters, considering the fact that they were firebombing civilian targets/london and killing tens of thousands of people. If its strictly military on military then kicking someone when they are down is dishonorable and inhumane (ie parachute shooting, hitting field hospitals, shooting POW), once they start targeting non-combatants it changes things. (Or if I was alive at the time, I believe for me it would).

On the other hand if I was a german I would not shoot british shutes in the bob, but then again I wouldnt be participating in the bombing either.
Thats easy to say with the perspective you've now, truth to be told if you were a german soldier you would have a completely different view and what you would/wouldnt do no one will ever know.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 AM
Approved Member

It is a game, so what someone does in the game may or my not be what they would do in real life. However, what you do in the game or say on the forms will still give others an opinion of you for the good or bad, that we have control over.

I personally don't think the game should be made the judge of that point wise, or any other wise infact because every action we do will leave an impression on others seeing it. That should be enough imo.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:32 AM
Approved Member

Wow, really? This devolved into whether or not doing something in the virtual world of escapism is symbolic of how they would behave in the real world? That's a fairly irrational argument. I would never fight in a war irl. Hell I disagree with current wars, but I do enjoy playing war games. It's an escape from reality as a matter of fact many studies have shown that those that play these violent games actually have fewer incidents of real life violence than those without the outlets.

It's a silly argument on a moot point. I like the idea of search and rescue missions. I don't really like a point system though, and that kind of stat tracking just tends to create undue friction in the game. I do like the idea of K/D, accuracy, and possibly assists but keeping track of arbitrarily assigned points is silly and just leads to infighting.

As far as how you conduct yourself online. Do what feels the most fun to you. If you don't like someone's play style don't play with 'em problem solved.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Approved Member

Well, I'm more of the mind if you don't like someone shooting you in your parrachute, camp out above their airfield and use selective vulching tactics to show your disaproval.

You could even get your message accross with a open message of "Take that you dirty Chute Stooter!!" as your bomb is about to hit!

I'm sure some will find it petty and childish behavour, but revenge is a dish best served cold!

Cheers!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Grunch, I'be been at this since December of 2001, I know what S! means.

I get a little put off seeing SS together in the sig of a player who also has obvious affinity towards things WW2 and German.
Yes, I assumed you would, I'd just rather not assume that someone who flies and appreciates German aircraft is a closet Nazi, that's all. I understand the concern, though.
For the record, I agree with you...my dad would never play FPS games because they involve shooting people close up, but he'll play Il-2 for hours. It's a perspective I could never get, that shooting someone in a machine hurtling through the air is somehow "cleaner" than shooting them on foot with a rifle. That idea that the air war was chivalrous, which most veterans would disagree with I expect. Nothing chivalrous about being killed by someone you never saw.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Approved Member

I guess there was a certain mark of respect between both sides when fighting, especially when it came to bailing out.

Being a Brit, I for one would have been enraged at the German's for what they were doing to our cities/towns...and would have done whatever it took to take them out the sky (including any dirty tactics), however, I wouldn't have shot a 'chuting' German...mainly through fear of reprisals when it was my turn to bail out!

When parachuting, one is completely defensless...it's no different to shooting a man with his hands tied behind his back...there's no honour or skill involved whatsoever, and besides, who'd want to waste ammo on some poor soul who's most likely going to spend the next 3+ hours floating in the Atlantic/English Channel wondering whether anyone's coming to pick them and take them home, or pick them up and take them to a PoW camp.

Then again, it is just a game...er, I mean simulation...simulated game, so what the heck.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Grunch, I'be been at this since December of 2001, I know what S! means.

I get a little put off seeing SS together in the sig of a player who also has obvious affinity towards things WW2 and German.

Sorry for being old fashioned like that.

And I also don't appreciate being lectured by the same fellow, who thinks it's perfectly OK to fry someone in their burning virtual cockpit, but it's somehow a sign of mental disorder to "shoot" them out side their "aircraft".

Political correctness is running amok everywhere it seems.

Now, back to matters of the game.

LOL I Love you man!! You crack me up!

Check ZG52 info & rules ... see for your self ... I'm pretty sure you will apologize..

not that it is really deeded anyway cos i understand your concerns plus i keep no grudge

It is a very small read indeed ... no time waister ....

http://www.zg52.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37

Best Regards
Old 03-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Approved Member

Gaga, if I misread the meaning of the 2 S in your sig line then I apologize for that.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 03-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Approved Member

As i said no need to !! We are ALL GOOD

you read my squad's rules eh?

See not a control freak as you would expect ...LOL