Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > CoD download, installation and activation threads

CoD download, installation and activation threads All discussions about installation, online activation and Steam

Old 09-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Approved Member

Default 'STEAM GUARD' woes, Please help!

Mods: I know this should probably be in one of the sub sections, but can you please leave it here for a little while so it at least gets some notice? Very few people seem to view the help sections. Then shift at your leisure, that would be great. Thanks.

This is a copy/paste from Simhq

Greets all. Ok, I have some free time to play and typically things due to 'sods law' are going pear shaped lol. The problem is that when I try to log in to Steam, I get the message 'Steam Guard - Computer Authorization required' and then get told that I am logging in from another computer (when I'm not, and never have!) So, I tried the two 'solutions' for the issue, one of which involves renaming a file called 'ClientRegistry.blob' which I renamed as 'ClientRegistry123.blob' (any change to the name should be sufficient, aye?); then restarted and tried again. No joy. Next I tried the 'delete everything bar Steam.exe and 'SteamApps' folder method, done and after a reboot tried again. No joy.

Steam are saying they will send out a steam guard authorisation code to my email addy, but they have not. Checked in spam, too. They are not even replying to my 'support account' questions. I'm rapidly going off Steam now (had a bit bother in the past with Empire:Total War which I bought retail DVD, but was forced to download from them due to a release bug at the time). In fact, I probably wouldn't bother with it at all if it wasn't a necessary evil for CoD.

Any one else had this problem before? I'm all for extra layers of security, this is a good thing....But not when I can't play my own frikking games I've paid for, lol.

Prior to the Steam bother when booting up, I also had a BSOD message reading thus;

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1e
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\090811-25552-01.dmp
C:\Users\M\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-38688-0.sysdata.xml

Could this possibly be related to the problem that Steam thinks I am logging in using a different computer, or just coincidental? Probably not I would think, but who knows. It's all Chinese to me lol, and I haven't tried to research it yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks chaps.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Ali Fish

ive had this what a pain, leme do some reading, but ultimatly i had to get into steam and then deactivate that nonsense.

edit. ok from what i remeber, i had to wait practically a day to get that authorisation but... i did manage to get in. in the steam help website there an area that explains what to do. im sure i deleted alot of the steam files, not folders, then update it and somehow i got back in before those emails krept in

Last edited by Ali Fish; 09-08-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Approved Member

Although it is probably just some rare Steam weirdness, it sounds almost to me like someone hacked your account.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharveL View Post
Although it is probably just some rare Steam weirdness, it sounds almost to me like someone hacked your account.
Thanks for the replies Ali and CharveL (I use your BoBII TrackIR profile as a template mate, very good ) Yes, that is a distinct possibility CharveL, but equally given that Ali says it took a whole day for them to sort it out and get in touch with the 'Steam Guard code' his side, it is also possible that steam support is simply rubbish.

I have taken all their recommended 'security precautions' etc, down to the letter, including email verification etc. So, we'll see. 'Hope for the best, expect the worst, and take what comes'. Words to live by.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Approved Member

Sure your just not checking the right email account!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Approved Member

lol....Aye Krupi, deffo the right one (I'm getting automated 'bot' responses from Steam and a link to my questions, which confirms they have been registered but no answers from staff yet......6hrs on.)

'One is not amused', lol.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Approved Member

And this is why I don't like Steam for single player games.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Ali Fish

btw, never press "what message" it removes the last code sent and process starts again.

i did manage to get into steam without waiting for that email to arrive, i just cant remember how i did it.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Approved Member

I get that message quite a lot, but the email from steam is usually there when I look in my email.
I hate steam.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Approved Member

I'm coming around to that way of thinking now too Uther, didn't expect an instantaneous response but 6+ hours on is starting to take the *bleep*. All for a simple blinking code.