Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:23 AM
zenmusic

Default Goodbye! a game? a sport? a competition? None of these

I've been playing about a month, a couple hours a day...

this is the end of my online play.. tonight .. tough to find a game .. then when I do... this is the scenario..

team play (or capture the field) about 5 players each side .... the end score ... my side about 6 kills ... the other side about 60-70...

every time I spawned.. i was alone.. with 3-4 attacking me..
what's the point??.. we could make a new game ; give twenty 5-year old children a spoon... or fork..
we grown men will just use knifes.. but one or two with have guns .. just in case..

great fun... we could do this forever...

why would the game designers even allow this? a simple algorithm could distribute the skill.. oh, but that would be a competition .. big guys don't like to lose..

okay.. then give me a plane equal in strength .. and I'll fight it out..

oh, .. well the big guys require an advantage in return for their time and effort and experience ..

so .. it's not a competition.. it's not a sport (not sporting.. but I doubt that has ever occurred to anyone)

.. a game? .. a waste of time.. spawn. dead .. spawn ..dead ..
I've finished 2 complete campaigns... I'll fly the bombers to fill out the game ...the game tells me I'm good, hitting the targets.. bombing accurate... the online doesn't match in any way .. the precision required to score...

okay... well then give me an advanced tutorial.. with 'Online' precision.. to practice and judge my skill..

oh.. there is no such thing... why would the developers bother.. they've already got my money.. and they make nothing from retaining me as an online player...

okay.. i'm gone

Last edited by zenmusic; 12-16-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmusic View Post

this is the end of my online play.. tonight .. tough to find a game .. then when I do... this is the scenario..

okay.. i'm gone
Sorry to hear your not happy. The best thing to do is add some friends here from the forum to your friends list, we would be happy to be on your team to help you get kills. It is a team effort and anyone on here would be happy to be on your team to help you win.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 AM
Approved Member

ad the sim players. there is no ranking or spawnkilling. no one on sim is haunting a highscore. a lot of people on arcade try to catch unlocks (me too), so they play the game, hmmm, efficient...
Old 12-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Approved Member

Greetings

Sorry to hear this Zenmusic but I feel just the same

I am a newbie at this, just had the game for some 5-6 weeks and are basicaly a flying duck for more experienced gamers.

To further gain experience and develop my skills I try not to end up with 3 or more sharks on my 6. Last night I felt the teambuilding became a bit to heavy in advance of Aces VS Newbies so I, for the first time ever, dropped the game.
This was not a good feeling cuz I love the game and the flying but just to respawn to get some few seconds flying with several more experienced pilots competing to kill me doesnt give me anything.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Approved Member

I havent played BoP but i have played IL2 for like 12 years or so. I can relate to these posts because, on IL2 you can also play on more arcade settings. And when you do this, the same thing happens. Vulching etc, its not fun when you just die all the time without getting a chance to play. I then looked to the way some others were playing the game, as a sim rather than a game, a more mature crowd who played the game in a way where it was more rewarding in terms of learning about history, and actually having a fair flight every time. Nobody vulches in this type of game, as you dont have unlimited ammo, your planes would normally be doing a 10 minute flight minimum before you even got near an enemy base. Much more realistic, and funny enough realism works, games do not.

If thee are options to do coop missions with a squadron or something where people play as a team then i would thoroughly recommend that. Nobody cheats in Coops. And one of the things i used to say to my squadron is, 'if one of us dies, then we are all responsible'. this i think gave us the goal of not getting kills, but making sure that what kills we did get came with no losses. Which made us very good pilots and team players
Old 12-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmusic View Post

okay.. i'm gone
Cool story bro. You got spawncamped and a crap team. Welcome to online gaming.

Last edited by trk29; 12-16-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAV View Post
Greetings

Sorry to hear this Zenmusic but I feel just the same

I am a newbie at this, just had the game for some 5-6 weeks and are basicaly a flying duck for more experienced gamers.

To further gain experience and develop my skills I try not to end up with 3 or more sharks on my 6. Last night I felt the teambuilding became a bit to heavy in advance of Aces VS Newbies so I, for the first time ever, dropped the game.
This was not a good feeling cuz I love the game and the flying but just to respawn to get some few seconds flying with several more experienced pilots competing to kill me doesnt give me anything.
Are you Kavorland?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Approved Member

Hey Winny.

My online ID is kavorland, yes.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Approved Member

if you are a newbie:

* stay out of "dogfight match (free for all)" because you will get your ass kicked, I bet it is frustrating to be on someone's six and being shot down by a more experienced opponent everytime before having time to line up your shot.

* host "team matches" and stick to an experienced pilot, they know how to hunt and can teach you a thing or two just by observing them. Also, they tend to be in the middle of the action and end up with a bandit on their tail and this could be an opportunity for an easy kill

* dont isolate yourself. Ask if you need help, many of us will be happy to assist. Add as many players as you can from the Sim Players list.

* use the La7 (I officially declare this plane a training plane for sim) it never stalls, it turns better than the rest, and its one of the fastest planes if not THE fastest. Also, if you play on cockpit view it has no head rest armor and this allows for a 360 degree view.

* practice spotting on training, remember that who ever sees their enemy first is more likely to get the kill.

* add me PSN = edal86. I will be your personal trainer Im thinking about creating an Edal's Flight School for beginners
Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Approved Member

Greetings edal86

Thanks for your advice, I will attend your lectures

As newbie a would like to state that the grade of newbieness is that I just started the Realistic mode in the campaigns and Single missions. Done some Realistic online and just touched the Simulator mode for testing.
I awaite the arrival of my Thrustmaster Hotas anyday and will after finishing the game in Realistic and Sim with that one be back to kick ass online.

I do dogfights to see and learn as there are several on each others tails and bein the "slowest" I usually end up last in the row, sometimes being able to get a lucky kill. (my aiming and firing seems to be totaly off )

As host I usually host TM as some of the more experienced pilots have kindly agreed to team up with me and learn a lot from that, thanks guys

I just love the game and guess I will have problems keeping of online mode, so I be struggling to gain confidence and experience

(Maybe I should open a thread called "Newbie diary". This to get help and tips at my everyday issues and to help other newbies ?)