Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:44 AM
Approved Member

Default Is the (Belgian) 609 sqn. still alive?

With the upcoming release of il2:CoD I am thinking of joining online battles. I'm
used to play il2 1946 only offline, but when I will be able to play il2:CoD I think
I will make the step to the web to.

Because I am Belgian I was wondering if there are any Belgian virtual squadrons.
The 609 squadron was a Belgian RAF squadron during the war. I found some traces
on the web about a virtual 609 squadron, but don't know if they are still active...

Anyway if there is anyone who has some information about this or other virtual squadrons,
Please let me know.

Greetings, zodiac
Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

If you want a dutch speaking squadron, join 1.JaVA. They are a friendly bunch of IL2 pilots. I used to fly with them in the past. Altough they are dutchmen, Belgian members are A-Okay!

http://www.1java.nl/
Old 01-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac View Post
With the upcoming release of il2:CoD I am thinking of joining online battles. I'm
used to play il2 1946 only offline, but when I will be able to play il2:CoD I think
I will make the step to the web to.

Because I am Belgian I was wondering if there are any Belgian virtual squadrons.
The 609 squadron was a Belgian RAF squadron during the war. I found some traces
on the web about a virtual 609 squadron, but don't know if they are still active...

Anyway if there is anyone who has some information about this or other virtual squadrons,
Please let me know.

Greetings, zodiac
Hello Zodiac.

In correction, 609 Squadron whilst having a strong Belgian contingent in 1941-2 was not regarded as a Belgian squadron - it was an auxiliary unit before the war formed in Yorkshire, formed of originally of weekend flyers but -like most units - after the Battle of Britain the personnel had become mix of regulars, volunteer reserve, auxiliaries and of course exiled Europeans. The Belgian flight was mirrored across other squadrons with other nationalities; a squadron on Malta had a flight made up of US volunteers, others had a strong French contingent.

Eventually, the RAF formed dedicated units for exiled flyers; the Poles obviously, the French, and Norwegian and Czech all had one or more squadron.

As for the Belgians? I think this site may help you:

http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn330-352.htm

I'd focus my attention on 349 and 350....
Old 01-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Approved Member

thanks for the replies guys!

Sorry I'm a little late to respond... I'm keeping Java in mind then for when I get the game in my hands. I still need to find me a decent computer to play the game, for I have a mac right now But I can't skip this game so I think of buying me a second pc.

The reason why I explicitly asked about 609 was not that important. I was just asking myself if there were Belgian or Dutch virtual squadrons. 609, 349 or 350 virtual,... it's all the same to me
Old 01-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
Hello Zodiac.

In correction, 609 Squadron whilst having a strong Belgian contingent in 1941-2 was not regarded as a Belgian squadron - it was an auxiliary unit before the war formed in Yorkshire, formed of originally of weekend flyers but -like most units - after the Battle of Britain the personnel had become mix of regulars, volunteer reserve, auxiliaries and of course exiled Europeans. The Belgian flight was mirrored across other squadrons with other nationalities; a squadron on Malta had a flight made up of US volunteers, others had a strong French contingent.

Eventually, the RAF formed dedicated units for exiled flyers; the Poles obviously, the French, and Norwegian and Czech all had one or more squadron.

As for the Belgians? I think this site may help you:

http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn330-352.htm

I'd focus my attention on 349 and 350....

I just wondered - were there any Swiss flying for the Tommies?

On the other side there was v.Werra and maybe a few others.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac View Post
thanks for the replies guys!

I still need to find me a decent computer to play the game, for I have a mac right now But I can't skip this game so I think of buying me a second pc.
Mac + Paralels + WinXP/Vista/7 ?

no need to have a second box standing around.
...IF your Macintosh mmets the CoD specs!
If the Mac is too old... buy the PC...
Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HundertneunGustav View Post
Mac + Paralels + WinXP/Vista/7 ?

no need to have a second box standing around.
...IF your Macintosh mmets the CoD specs!
If the Mac is too old... buy the PC...
It's a late 2008 Macbook pro. I don't know if he possesses the right specifications
but I think even if he would, it wouldn't be healthy for a laptop to play such a
demanding game in terms of heating...
I'll see...
Old 01-29-2011, 11:53 PM
Approved Member

These guys are, or at least were (i mostly flew with them 7/8 years ago i think) belgian, and quite a nice bunch. French speaking afaik.

http://www.campagne609th.be/SOW/foru...66df0621b157af

My own french virtual squad has only one belgian, so i guess we don't qualify

http://chez.les.pb0.free.fr/_forum/

Anyway if you'd like to meet us, need Teamspeak2 and contact PB0_**** players via Hyperlobby pager, say PB0_Roll sends you.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:17 AM
Registered Member

Actually No.609 Sqn had a very strong Belgian contingent up until war's end. Mony Van Lierde, Geerts, 'Le Duc', 'Cheval' Lallement, 'Vicki' Ortmanns and many, many others passed through its ranks. It wasn't ever exclusively Belgian but a tradition was formed after future Sqn Ldr Michael Robinson was rescued and brought back to England by Belgian comrades after the fall of France. 609 had an exceptional record and the Belgian contingent had an enormous role in this. For a great read, get 'Under the White Rose' by Frank Ziegler. I have an IL2 campaign by the same name available at Mission4Today.
Lastly, I helped form the virtual 609 sqn in 1998, at the time flying EAW. We were formed by a very young Belgian guy who wanted to honour his country. With the release of IL2, No.609 became simply '609'. I have lost touch with them and I fear they may have folded, but they persisted for several years so they may still be about. I still have a particular interest in No.609. They fought with great bravery and much humour. They should be remembered as well as the very particular 'international brotherhood' that was happily mirrored in our virtual ranks. Get the book and be proud of your countrymen!