Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 12-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Approved Member

Default how to destroy tanks

hi i only started playing the other day but im totally fed up of the fact that i can hit an enemy tank twice either with artilery or my tank, and then he moves his tank gun at me and wipes me out with one blast

my teamate said `aim for the hull` which i assume is the top of the tank, but that still didnt wipe out the tank!

please can somebody help where exactly am i aiming at to get a good chance of one hit disabling an enemy tank

thanks
Old 12-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Approved Member

Ignore that teammate. Try to aim at the side of the tank(just above it's tracks) 2nd best thing: Aim at the area where the tank gun joins its turret.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Approved Member

can you or somebody do a screenshot and point to it?
thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Approved Member

I'm actually not sure how to upload pictures, sorry. Atiming anywhere on a tanks turrent with a gun of 50mm or more will usually score a kill.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Approved Member

SO WHERE
would you recommend
for a good chance of one shot disabling the tank
to aim at

your saying the turret/gun area

other guy said the tracks

!

i usually aim my artilery at the middle of the tank and it never stops it the first shot

im not trying to be awkward, its just i have a good internet connection so it isnt lag, but whenever i fire artilery or my tank at another tank, it takes maybe 3 shots to wipe it out, and usualy the other tank attacks me and wipes me out first

Last edited by marybiggles; 12-27-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:26 AM
Approved Member

I play single player only.
I notice when a game loads there are game hints.
One of those hints is about disabling / destroying tanks.
Look for that.
These hints I about destroying armor I found in the manual on pages 22 and 23 (page 13 of the PDF manual)

The weakest points of a tank are the rear, the tracks, the turret sides, and the top parts like the roof if aiming down at a tank.
The front is usually the strongest.

Also make sure you are using the amour piercing AP shells and not the high explosive HE shells when shooting at tanks.

Last edited by OVO; 01-08-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Approved Member

still no luck
my weakest point is when ive knocked out a tank which still has fully functioning gun, and its positioned nearish my spawn but artilery wont destroy it, and i must be firing like 20 times..
Old 12-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Banned

Perhaps you are using a much too weak gun? Most, if not all, tanks during WW2 had the thickest armor at the front hull and turret front/gun mantlet. Most US guns will have problems to punch thru, as an example, the hull and/or turret front of the German "Big Cats (Panther, Tiger I, Tiger II and Jagdtiger) and these will in return, kill your tank with ease at the same range.

The key to a quick and easy kill, is to aim for for the turret and hull sides and/or rear. If you cant see the sides, try to flank them before they can see and/or return fire.

~Zeke.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Approved Member

i found out the problem

i always instinctively get my artilery or tank to fire the first shot at the middle of the enemy

anyway, then what was happening were the next shots even though i was pointing the cursor at tracks or turret, were still auto firing at the middle of the armour and doing nothing!

ive corrected that, by instead of hurridly firing at enemy armour without armour, i know pick my spot beforehand and go for the side or the turret thing

ps also for artilery i find the smaller guns far more effective than the larger guns
and also katushas even though they can wipe out a ton of enemy, also use up so much resources
Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Approved Member

There is no sure fire, 100% way to destroy tanks. You have to consider things like your own gun;s caliber vs their armor factors, range, angle....Also, Artillery isnt very effective against tanks, it fires HE and HE doesnt do much for "Hull Destroyed" on tanks. The best you will hope for is broken tracks, maybe a broken gun. Of course if you must fire Arty, atleast the large caliber 120 and larger guns, aim for their roof, make the shell hit the paper thin roof of the tank or the top of the engine block, you might light the engine on fire or hull destroy by penetrating the turret top. Also, some guns just plain wont penetrate other tanks. Take for instance, the Panther tank, almost no US gun besides the 90mm at fairly close range will penetrate this thing from the front. Your best bet then is to properly manuver, flank and get side shots at which point your smaller caliber 75 and 76mms will work. On the bigger tanks like King Tigers, you can ONLY kill them with side shots. Their frontal armor is so significant that you will NOT pen them.

If you want to learn the attributes of different tanks, you can start a Multiplayer game, pick a nation, ready up and go in solo. You can then right click the pictures of the tanks and examine their capabilities and then compare then to other tanks of other nations. It will give you a general idea of what you'll need to do.

Also, one thing to know in this game is Direct COntrol.....learn it, love it, use it....it seems this game was made for it. It isnt always feasible to Direct Control everything but when you can, its probably best you do. Direct Controlling infantry throwing grenades is one fine example of this lol.

Also, if you simply want to practice without going into SP or MP, open up the GEM Editor, its in your Men of War folder, you can go in their and simply place a ton of tanks and just play around, get a good feel for the game, DC, units abilities...I have spent prolly hundreds of hours in that editor...its quite fun lol.

Last edited by KnightFandragon; 01-03-2012 at 12:48 PM.