Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
To be fair... I think the P-47's flight model is pretty accurate as it stands. The thing can dive like hell... Yet isn't the most maneuverable fighter in the bunch.
Do you think it can stand its own in a sim team dogfight? Or is it inferior in every single way? can you compare it to the 109 g-10 (or g-2) and to the spit. And tell me if it has a chance against them, and what would be it strengths and weaknesses.

(im waiting for my MS point to arrive, and I want to know if the P-47 is going to make me a bit happy).
Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Approved Member

That is a good review. I already had the P-47 from the pre-order thing, and love it. But like said, it flys like a refridgerator. It is, what it is, and that is a good dive bomber. It dives awesome, but be careful, it's climb rate kinda sucks, and ya better pull out of the dive in time taking that in consideration. It is fun in strike, it helped me gain the B-17. I used it allot in CTA too like mentioned, and it is fun for that. I battled a little in it, but I suck in air to air myself, but had some luck with it because it is fast. I would run out of the battle area, climb, and dive back into the battle area attacing someone in a dive. Hitting and then running like hell back out to set up for another assault. It did pretty good that way, but not a champ. It was fun, but ya aint gonna win the battle that way. Just about any other fighter can beat it in turns, and if it is assaulted from the front, that seems to be it's weakness. The engines get shot out pretty quick. it is a fun plane to fly, but, you got to remember you aint in a ferarri.. It's a boat... I still love it though and fly it fairly regularly. Even having it already, i still put out the $5 for the download just for the missions that feature it, and I'm not disappointed in that..

ADDENDOM: By the way.. In dogfighting with it, I found that I can make tighter turns if I chop the thottle to about 50-60%. It still wouldn't out turn many of the other fighters, but it did help. It's speed though is what kept me alive.. the "Hit & Run" approach to air battles, if you are any good, you might pull it off in the air..

Last edited by Tudorp15; 10-06-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgothNL View Post
Do you think it can stand its own in a sim team dogfight? Or is it inferior in every single way? can you compare it to the 109 g-10 (or g-2) and to the spit. And tell me if it has a chance against them, and what would be it strengths and weaknesses.

(im waiting for my MS point to arrive, and I want to know if the P-47 is going to make me a bit happy).
Strengths: 8 .50 cals., and diving. That's it.

Weakness: Everything else.

You may could pull some kills off by finding enemies who are occupied with others. I can almost guarantee your deaths would be higher. It just can't compete in a turn fight. And unfortunately, that's what 90% of BOP dogfights are.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudorp15 View Post
you might pull it off in the air..
thats all i needed, a fighting chance . Dont care if it gets outturned, so does a bf109. As ling as it can be flown to be competitive .
Cant wait to fly this ship

How are the guns? you say hit and run kind of works, but does it have the armament to do a boom and zoom?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Strengths: 8 .50 cals., and diving. That's it.

Weakness: Everything else.

You may could pull some kills off by finding enemies who are occupied with others. I can almost guarantee your deaths would be higher. It just can't compete in a turn fight. And unfortunately, that's what 90% of BOP dogfights are.

On a scale of 1 to 10. If a spit turns like a 8, a bf109 like a 6. what would the p-47 be?

Goat, did you ever fly the 109 g-10? if yes, is it slower + worse turning than that one?

the patch might give the P-47 more chance, because of the blackouts in continuous turns... i hope

Last edited by MorgothNL; 10-06-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
On a scale of 1 to 10. If a spit turns like a 8, a bf109 like a 6. what would the p-47 be?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Approved Member

Not sure what the "Boom and Zoom" is. I heard the term, but not sure exactly what that term means. But, it sounds like what I am calling "Hit and Run"... Might be the same, and what I meant..

Quote:
thats all i needed, a fighting chance . Dont care if it gets outturned, so does a bf109. As ling as it can be flown to be competitive .
Cant wait to fly this ship

How are the guns? you say hit and run kind of works, but does it have the armament to do a boom and zoom?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlux View Post
Thanks for the review Goat, very helpful. You're a top notch contributor around here
Thanks very much!

I don't start many threads,

but when I do, I try to make them very informative.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:50 AM
Approved Member

The Jug ain't bad. It's just not that good.

I'm ok with turning like a bus, but it seems really underpowered. Maybe I haven't gotten her up to her appropriate playing altitude, but about 5,000' I'm barely pushing 300mph standing on the WEP, straight and level. Thought I heard a lot of stories of P-47s dumping the nose and hauling ass away from trouble. Seems not to be the case so far. Even in a moderate dive at WEP I'm only getting 330-340mph max. That much mass with that big an engine ought to be racing gravity on the way down.

But, on the plus side, I've managed to keep her flying a minute or so longer than normal, and with 2 more Spits than normal chewing at my tail. Guns are really nice. A quick burst can end somebody's day - which is good, because you've only got a couple seconds before your target realizes he's being shot at and pulls a turn that you have no hope of following.

BnZ - all day, every day for the Jug.

Last edited by gbtstr; 10-07-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
3 1/4 is more like it.