Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Approved Member

Question I always seem to get out turned?

Can anyone help me with this, I always seem to come out second best in turning fights.

I understand if you go in full blast WEP on your turning circle will be huge, and I understand that by dropping the power, and adding a touch of rudder you'll turn harder, but I still seem to come off second best as other people seem to maintain better energy and come out inside my turn.

I've seen this when using the same, and different aircraft so its not just a case of X plane has a better turn than Y.

Any ideas?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Approved Member

what are you flying...
Old 09-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Approved Member

Its all height dependant. Some planes bank faster or roll better at a lower altitude. Plus its also about knowing your aircraft and knowing your angles.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuma View Post
Can anyone help me with this, I always seem to come out second best in turning fights.

I understand if you go in full blast WEP on your turning circle will be huge, and I understand that by dropping the power, and adding a touch of rudder you'll turn harder, but I still seem to come off second best as other people seem to maintain better energy and come out inside my turn.

I've seen this when using the same, and different aircraft so its not just a case of X plane has a better turn than Y.

Any ideas?
It's not about knowing your angles and aircraft (well it is once you fix your problem), it's your control surface sensitivity setting in the options - for whatever reason, they were programmed so that max deflection is reduced when you turn down sensitivity - to me, making the curve exponential would soften it up around center and achieve a better effect.

So anyways, make sure your sensitivity is at MAX in options. If you fly a plane that stalls way easily with this turned up, then adjust from there, otherwise - keep it at max or you will be out-turned by people flying the same plane as you with their's maxed out on sensitivity.

I had the same problem for awhile and couldn't figure out for about a week what the hell was going on with 109g6's out-turning a La-5fn, I maxed sensitivity and ta-da - no more 109's out-turning me, in fact they are easily out turned in La series.

Also, 109's fly better and turn better with sensitivity cranked up (IMO).

P51's and FW190's - not so much, I wouldn't recomend these maxed out.

Documentation to the effect telling us what sensitivity does to max deflection would have been nice btw.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear45 View Post
what are you flying...
My prefered plane is the BF109G, but as stated above it seems to happen regardless of which plane I'm in.

I've flown in a Hurricane Mk2 against another Hurricane Mk2 and still come out worse. What part of the turn am I getting wrong?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuma View Post
My prefered plane is the BF109G, but as stated above it seems to happen regardless of which plane I'm in.

I've flown in a Hurricane Mk2 against another Hurricane Mk2 and still come out worse. What part of the turn am I getting wrong?
Akuma, what is your elevator sensitivity at? Read my above post.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Approved Member

BTW, this should be STICKIED.

It's silly, there has to be a TON of players who don't realize they are being out-turned because their sensitivity is set too low.

The game documentation should mention that turning it down reduces max turn rate.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzychickens View Post

The game documentation should mention that turning it down reduces max turn rate.
Isn't that obvious though. How else would it work ?.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:42 AM
Approved Member

bit off topic:

manyyy people now turn as tight as they can at 400mph.. Now..in the title update.. the red and blackouts are coming .. this will cause many people to crash if they keep on turning like they are doing now.

what im trying to say is... you might not be outturned so much anymore.. when the title update comes out. Continues steep turns.. can not be maintained like they are now.

might be wrong though .. I've just been playing IL2 1946 a lot.. and playing this game.. it was suddenly all about 'who turns faster'? in stead of 'who maintains his energy better... and stays within his pilot's G-force limits?'
Old 09-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Approved Member

Even though Anton did say RO/BO would be patched in they are not on the fix list he announced, so I don't know if it is going to happen.