Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Approved Member

Wait what? I have Hawx and that had major dead-zone issues which UBISOFT patched out on 360. So how come now all of a sudden it cant be done?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Approved Member

It's interesting to see that the Microsoft Xinput API that the Xbox 360 controller uses in Windows has a customizable deadzone, all the way to 0/unfiltered as I understand it. Anton mentions this API in a different thread, but I don't know if this is actually used when programming for the Xbox 360 directly.

If anyone can find out more about what protocol/API is being used on the 360, I'd be interested to see what documentation is available for this. I'm sure that there is some channel for developer communication that would be appropriate in a situation such as this.

Here's a link to Microsoft's Xinput documentation, BTW:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...what_is_xinput
Old 09-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Approved Member

I agree, there's no need to have a deadzone. get rid of it.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Approved Member

My biggest problem with the deadzone is that at least with my Aviator, turning down the aileron or elevator sensitivity in the game's options actually decreases the maximum deflection of those control surfaces.

With the sensitivities turned down to 3 quarters I can get used to the feel of the gunnery even with the deadzone, but then I'm also decreasing my maximum turn rate by a good margin.

I managed to play one game on Live over Dover on simulator and it was beautiful.. tons of fun. But I can't stand the compromise between controlling my aiming point and the aircraft's turning performance.

If they can get rid of the deadzone and add a basic joystick calibration option everyone should be happy.