Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 02-15-2016, 07:11 PM
Approved Member

Must admit, I'm really, really enjoying watching you guys work.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:50 PM
Approved Member

Slowly (very slowly) coming to grips with 3ds-Max.

Decided it would be easier for me to do my mesh levels in SolidWorks though.

Mesh00

Mesh01

Mesh02

Mesh03

I have found that step and sat formatted files seem to be the best format options to use when exporting from SW for import into Max.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:52 PM
Approved Member

level of detail for lods is normal...

but better made lod00 at first at 100 percent and made from it all other lods.. i mean when lod00 will be with maping

Old 02-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita View Post
level of detail for lods is normal...

but better made lod00 at first at 100 percent and made from it all other lods.. i mean when lod00 will be with maping
Not exactly sure of what you mean, but I started with my lod 00 model scaled to 100% (1:1) and then I created simplified versions of that same model backwards to create the rest of the lods 01,02 and 03, these are just surface meshes and do not have any mapping assigned.

I was looking to import each lod as a layer using the same structure as in your reference object [i](to make things a little easier when I get home tonight I also created 20:1 versions of these lods to import to Max)[/].

My daughter was doing a mapping assignment at school in class last week where she had to skin the rail-gun from District 9, and apparently got best in class so hopefully she will be able to help me out when it comes to mapping my models.

Here is the 512 texture I intend to use at this stage, still need to reduce some of the more obvious repetitions in the pattern:

Old 02-16-2016, 12:13 AM
Approved Member

Just a quick test of said texture placed on the lod 00 model in SolidWorks.

Last edited by Spudkopf; 02-16-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:10 AM
Approved Member

Spud,

here are two variants of your stone texture, based on photos of the rocks in Sicily/Southern Italy and the Western Desert.

To my eyes, they look a bit more authentic, although the texture you used for your first model looks to be a good match for Sicily/Italy. The Sicilian/Southern Italian texture is tilted a bit more towards yellow and is color checked against period color photos of damaged stone buildings. I'll let Gitano be the final judge, though! The North African texture is totally blown out towards yellow so it looks like sandstone and also has the contrast sharpened to give more of a sense of harsh desert light. It represents a compromise between the various rock and sand types found in the region.

Feel free to use or alter them as you see fit.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/attachm...1&d=1455599299

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/attachm...1&d=1455599299
Attached Images
File Type: jpg North Africa.jpg (539.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg sicily.jpg (421.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Pursuivant; 02-16-2016 at 04:24 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudkopf View Post
Not exactly sure of what you mean, but I started with my lod 00 model scaled to 100% (1:1) and then I created simplified versions of that same model backwards to create the rest of the lods 01,02 and 03, these are just surface meshes and do not have any mapping assigned.

i mean .... much easier make lod00 with maping and texture ... and from that model you make all other lods keeping mapping from parent lod...
you copy lod00 - named t like lod01 and by removing edges and vertex's you will get fine lod01 with maping ...

in other way, when you make lod00, not finished maping and already make all other lods you will be make new maping for each of lods again ... it's double work ...

send to me lod00 for review ...

Old 02-16-2016, 07:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita View Post
i mean .... much easier make lod00 with maping and texture ... and from that model you make all other lods keeping mapping from parent lod...
you copy lod00 - named t like lod01 and by removing edges and vertex's you will get fine lod01 with maping ...

in other way, when you make lod00, not finished maping and already make all other lods you will be make new maping for each of lods again ... it's double work ...

send to me lod00 for review ...
I see where your coming from now, so this means the below may be more difficult to map:1

Pursuivant, I already had a couple of sandstone variations prepared, the version displayed above was for the Northern MTO, like in the colour photo _1SMV_Gitano provided back on page 2:

Dark Sandstone

Light Sandstone

Old 02-16-2016, 08:21 AM
Approved Member

Indeed Dark Sandstone seems good to me.

The final result will depend also on terrain textures, which are not yet finalized.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _1SMV_Gitano View Post
Indeed Dark Sandstone seems good to me.

The final result will depend also on terrain textures, which are not yet finalized.
Here's the dark sandstone placed onto the SW model of mesh 00 as a test.

Still painfully slowly coming to grips with 3ds-Max, started a new scene with just the mesh 00 imported and then merged in the ground reference pyramid, I've watched a lot of YouTube but still looking for that one well made tutorial about the basics, most just do things so quickly that really don't know how they just did what they did.

While I was importing the step file last night I noticed that it appears my version of Max can import native SW parts and assemblies, so I have made a "pack and go" the mesh 00 out of SW and will take this home tonight and see what if any difference there is between importing the step or a native the native file.