Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Approved Member

Damage Model.

Guys, damage model in our game is much more closer to reality, than that in IL-2 game.
In IL-2 game it was harder to destroy enemy plane, than in real life - to compensate the lack of inexpereiensity, that you is not scaried (because you can't die in reality while playing), absence of black-outs and sweat running to your eyes.
What we've done - we implemented statstically accurate damage model.

Of course, if you see where to shoot (in Arcade mode there is a cross showing the spot where you should shoot to compensate that bullet is flying with finite speed) and have unlimited ammo - game becomes much more easier to play. Than play in simulator mode!

In any case. Don't assume that original IL-2 was representing REAL damage model (even stastically accurate). It was representing FEEL of real damage model. In IL-2 player has similiar combat stastics to average pilot in WW2 - but that was done by making damage model LESS real, than reality, to compensate that each virtiual pilot is a real ACE, and even robot - a lot of hours in the air, a lot of expereience, no fear of death, no red-outs and blackouts etc.
Real life has MORE 'arcade' damage model (according to available statistics of WW2 and historical consultants), than IL-2. But it was harder to 'play' in real-life.

And in a movie there is infinite ammo - which is of course much more arcade, allowing to shoot tons of bullets (from cannons!), which is very effective in 300m distance - because of dispersion. But you can fly with finite ammo as well.

BTW, Henkel has a lot of bombs and 800 litres of gas, and almost no armor - they WERE exploding often.

Last edited by Anton Yudintsev; 08-27-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Approved Member

Well Anton I own a 360 and will be buying this game anyway, it looks cool and will be a blast on Live. What features are you going to do for live by the way and how may people are able to fight on live?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Approved Member

Some of you fail to remember it will have scalable difficulty just like IL2. Many of you probably fly IL2 in arcade mode online right now. Probably flying in wonderwoman view, same planes on both sides, no stalls or spins, easy gunnery, ect. But yet snub your noses at a console version you know nothing about. Bottom line is...I very high percentage of this very community fly IL2 as a arcade game rather then a simulator. I am however not one of them, but I still have a open mind and I know consoles such as the 360 have more power to do the job then most of this communities PCs. Certainly more power then those PCs that ran the first IL2. The console audience is broad and there is probably even more interest for a good simulator then that found in the PC audience where most favor MMORPGs. Codemasters realized this and thats why they are bringing the same version of Operation Flashpoint 2 to the 360.

S!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meusli View Post
Thats what Chivas and I just said is it not?

Great minds think-a-like...

I guess I sound a little redundant...I must have gotten stuck in the "Twilight Zone" again. The difference between making a point and sounding redundant is 8min without refreshing the page (LOL).
Old 08-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Approved Member

I guess I'll have to wait until they release "lego Birds of Prey IL2" so I can play it on my kids Wii!

Sigh!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:59 AM
Approved Member

I agree Anton. I don't know how many times I've seen an aircraft take multiple devasting hits in IL-2 and its still combat effective. This is one thing I'm looking forward to in the complex DM of BOB. Once an aircraft takes serious hits the pilots either bailing out or turning for home, not staying in the fight. That said IL-2 is by far the best combat sim ever made to this point.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 AM
Approved Member

Looks nice...like an ultimate version of Blazing Angels. Looks like it'll be fun!

But the DM...that Hurricane looks like its shooting 8 cannons
Old 08-28-2008, 04:12 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Yudintsev View Post
Damage Model.

Guys, damage model in our game is much more closer to reality, than that in IL-2 game.
In IL-2 game it was harder to destroy enemy plane, than in real life - to compensate the lack of inexpereiensity, that you is not scaried (because you can't die in reality while playing), absence of black-outs and sweat running to your eyes.
What we've done - we implemented statstically accurate damage model.

Of course, if you see where to shoot (in Arcade mode there is a cross showing the spot where you should shoot to compensate that bullet is flying with finite speed) and have unlimited ammo - game becomes much more easier to play. Than play in simulator mode!

In any case. Don't assume that original IL-2 was representing REAL damage model (even stastically accurate). It was representing FEEL of real damage model. In IL-2 player has similiar combat stastics to average pilot in WW2 - but that was done by making damage model LESS real, than reality, to compensate that each virtiual pilot is a real ACE, and even robot - a lot of hours in the air, a lot of expereience, no fear of death, no red-outs and blackouts etc.
Real life has MORE 'arcade' damage model (according to available statistics of WW2 and historical consultants), than IL-2. But it was harder to 'play' in real-life.

And in a movie there is infinite ammo - which is of course much more arcade, allowing to shoot tons of bullets (from cannons!), which is very effective in 300m distance - because of dispersion. But you can fly with finite ammo as well.

BTW, Henkel has a lot of bombs and 800 litres of gas, and almost no armor - they WERE exploding often.
The trailer reminds me of the old Jane's WW2 fighters where the hit box was huge and you could easily pile up the crashing enemy. Star Wars!

It wasn't as easy as the trailer, or everyone flying a fighter would have been an ACE in a day.

Principal issues with IL2 isn't the damage modeling as much as the AI programming.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:14 AM
Old_Canuck

Anyone seen a landing in BoP yet? It seems to be air to air exclusively.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Canuck View Post
Anyone seen a landing in BoP yet? It seems to be air to air exclusively.

Good question, oh and hi there haven't seen you in awhile.