Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Approved Member

Default Birds of Prey GC 2008 trailer

Have a look at the recent video of BoP from GC 2008. New planes, views and battles are presented in the trailer. Very soon the HD version will be available for downloading.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Approved Member

Well, it LOOKs really well! Especially the landscape.
But the DM model is hillarious... Not my kind of game I guess.

The looks of that landscape gives me really high hopes for SOW:BOB.

Does anyone know why this game is called "IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of Pray" when it has allomost nothing to do with 'our' game?

Skarphol
Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarphol View Post
Well, it LOOKs really well! Especially the landscape.
But the DM model is hillarious... Not my kind of game I guess.

The looks of that landscape gives me really high hopes for SOW:BOB.

Does anyone know why this game is called "IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of Pray" when it has allomost nothing to do with 'our' game?

Skarphol
Oleg has more to do with it than is presented. Sorry, I can't call my business Chrysler Corp, Exxon, or Citgo. Neither, can the dev of BOP call his product IL2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey.

Oleg has to be involved or he would be the absolute world class dumb a$$ of the year to allow anyone with another CFS (consoler or not) use his brand.

Something is going on.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
Oleg has more to do with it than is presented. Sorry, I can't call my business Chrysler Corp, Exxon, or Citgo. Neither, can the dev of BOP call his product IL2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey.

Oleg has to be involved or he would be the absolute world class dumb a$$ of the year to allow anyone with another CFS (consoler or not) use his brand.

Something is going on.

This sounds like an "X-File" to me...we will have to get to the bottom of this conspiracy right away.

But seriously...maybe they just license the name along with the flight data.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Approved Member

I'm sure Oleg is being compensated for the FM and IL-2 name recognition in some form or another. In the end BOP will be very good advertising for BOB. It will draw simmers from the console crowd to the SOW series, if they want a more emmersive and detailed combat flight experience. Even PC simmers will buy a console to play BOP if it comes out before SOW BOB. In the end its all good for the combat sim genre. Just a reminder for those still confused ... BOP and BOB SOW have different developers and engines.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Approved Member

Agreed, it's an arcade game with an arcade DM, but....GAWD, LOOK AT THOSE TRACERS

It certainly looks amazing and if BoB is anything like it we're in for a really great ride. We just need the sound effects to go with it.

I can't help but crave the "shock factor" i get with every new sim i fly. How it looks and more importantly, how it sounds the first time you get in a tight spot in your new sim...The first burst of flak close to you, or the sound of gunfire connecting with your airframe.

I remember instinctively lowering my head below my instrument panel the first time i dashed through a formation of He-111s in European Air War in my Hurricane.

Getting a feeling of mounting anxiety as the flak grew louder, only to jump up in my seat when it got too close for comfort, as if i had no warning at all about it, even though the past 2 minutes i was watching the barrage form in B-17:The Mighty 8th.

Thinking "oh sh!!!! it's gonna break apart!!!" when i first pulled some extra Gs in Red Baron II and heard the wings start creaking, or heard the sound of fabric getting torn.

And i also remember being in awe at the complexity of gunnery the first time i fired up the IL2 demo, the never before seen visual accuracy and, for the first time, a believable sense of speed and the forces acting on a fighter plane, frightening speed, so much that i was thinking "i can't control this thing, it's too fast and big a piece of machinery for me" as my P39 was dashing down the runway (yes, i've been around from the time of the first release, even though i'm not much of a pilot against online opponents).

Now if we're lucky, we'll get all this and more in BoB as well. Scare us Mr Maddox, like we're about to burn in that Hurricane for real
Old 08-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Approved Member

Olegs new sim is not called Il2 Sturmovik, so any damage this game could cause is unimportant but from what I see it looks ok for a console game. Now the money for using the name and FM code is important for the development of SOW.

@ Blackdog kt, hell yey!!!

Last edited by Meusli; 08-27-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Approved Member

OK...here's a big "what if" (speculation) statement for you all...

Maybe Oleg has gone over budget and over time developing "SoW BoB" and he is using the money from "IL2 BOP" to further the work on the "SoW" engine (I know, I know...I just drifted off into the Twilight Zone)...
Old 08-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton45 View Post
OK...here's a big "what if" (speculation) statement for you all...

Maybe Oleg has gone over budget and over time developing "SoW BoB" and he is using the money from "IL2 BOP" to further the work on the "SoW" engine (I know, I know...I just drifted off into the Twilight Zone)...
Thats what Chivas and I just said is it not?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
I'm sure Oleg is being compensated for the FM and IL-2 name recognition in some form or another. In the end BOP will be very good advertising for BOB. It will draw simmers from the console crowd to the SOW series, if they want a more emmersive and detailed combat flight experience. Even PC simmers will buy a console to play BOP if it comes out before SOW BOB. In the end its all good for the combat sim genre. Just a reminder for those still confused ... BOP and BOB SOW have different developers and engines.
1+