Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:32 AM
Approved Member

Default question for sim guys

I have started to venture into the sim world believe it or not winning every single realistic game gets kinda boreing after a while i have no problems flying in sim its just locating enemies that is difficult I know about using the big map as a kind of radar my question is do most of you use the regular ps3 control I find it nearly imposable to look around useing the standard layout on the controler so i been experimenting with the wireless controller #3 layout the right stick is used to look around throttle is l1 r1 and fire is x its hard to get used to after nearly 2 years useing the standard layout any suggestions on what you guys use and tactics on locating enemies would be appreciated
Old 02-04-2011, 04:01 AM
Approved Member

Try with aviator setup if you want to go easy. That is I think most used setup in sim. Then there is quite good custom layout, it can be found from early messages of p-51 mustang club thread. That custom setup is what i'm using mostly nowdays, it is challenging and most of the times i'm getting real beat up from the other guys, but on the other hand it's more realistic. So try both, or maybe you can create your own custom layout.

And fly at treetop level, that way you can spot others more easily. Most of the fights are happening on the ground level so it is the best way to see where the enemy is. I'm not saying that everyone is at low level, there might be some sneaky bas****s above, so watch your six too.

Last edited by Mage_016; 02-04-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Approved Member

So I tried aviator and wow I now like sim I can find people and hell I won the first game I tried it I am now competitive in sim awesome
Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Approved Member

Welcome mav. Looking forward to meet you
Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Approved Member

Good going Mav, you fill find sim ten times the fun realistic is, and less B17´s

I fly with pad, using the layout nbr.3, also got the TM hotas, but never got used to that.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrickandgoose View Post
So I tried aviator and wow I now like sim I can find people and hell I won the first game I tried it I am now competitive in sim awesome

Also, most of the time enemy will respawn higher your current altitude, so, if you have trouble locating them, just point the nose toward the red dot and move the camera up
As Mage said, aviator layout is one of the best ( in my opinion ) to fly sim, but i know some aces still use the standard layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage_016 View Post
And fly at treetop level, that way you can spot others more easily. Most of the fights are happening on the ground level so it is the best way to see where the enemy is. I'm not saying that everyone is at low level, there might be some sneaky bas****s above, so watch your six too.
Mmh i wouldn't reccomend that. Altitude is energy, an enemy above you have always advantage, so try to gain altitude while the enemy respawn.
As i try to explain in this drawing i just made this morning lol ( okay it's a lazy day at work ehehe )

Diving from above ( blue path ) will easily lead you to your oppenent ( red path ) cycling at three top level looking at his minimap unaware of the sudden death incoming. Of course be carefull with speed and lower down the flaps accordingly to not jam them, also, don't dig a hole in the ground while doing that. Best thing is to anticipate your enemy flying path once you located him. Doing so, your gun will meet his plane at the desidered point. But if you fail to anticipate his moves you will probably miss him getting in the opposite position, he will be on your tail. Have fun trying!

Last edited by vdomini; 02-04-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Approved Member

Same as Vdomini, use altitude when ever possible - apart from energy advantage you will also have a fourth axis or dimension at your disposal if someone gets on your tail. Flying at tree top level does help to overcome spotting enemy but you are limited to left, right or climb for evasive maneouvres. Having said that, some maps I find very difficult to spot low flying ac but the essential skill in SIM is too see the enemy before they see you so best to go with what you feel works best for you. On Xbox we tend to have the same set of regular SIM flyers and I think most of us can recognise who is flying a particular ac simply by the way they fly.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Approved Member

I go back and forth between #3 and Aviator. Can't really seem to find a favorite.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
Same as Vdomini, use altitude when ever possible - apart from energy advantage you will also have a fourth axis or dimension at your disposal if someone gets on your tail. Flying at tree top level does help to overcome spotting enemy but you are limited to left, right or climb for evasive maneouvres. Having said that, some maps I find very difficult to spot low flying ac but the essential skill in SIM is too see the enemy before they see you so best to go with what you feel works best for you. On Xbox we tend to have the same set of regular SIM flyers and I think most of us can recognise who is flying a particular ac simply by the way they fly.
Yes that is true, like when I see a friendly plane attacking me by accident I know that that plane is Panzergranate's and when I see a Hurricane about crunch into a tree or parked in a certain spot in CTA berlin I know that that is Bucketman.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 02-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perunasalaatti View Post
I find the original standard layout best because sensitive rudders play important role in shooting.
Looking and searching with R3 (pressed) is kind of hard at first but you get used to it . And you get full rear view.

try different options what works for you
I agrre 100% potatosalad i fly with the standard pad aswell it just fells right 4 me anyway you can also use the directional buttons for looking