Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Approved Member

First post, whoo. Next step, the post!

Heres a really frequently asked question as I browsed the forum last night, along the lines of:
"My engine keeps failing after 15-40 minutes of dogfighting"

And a very probable answer that I thought of when I was flying the Dover mission just earlier, so I'll use the spitfire as the example,

If you look to the right side of the dashboard theres 3-4 gauges, above the Oil gauge theres a Boost gauge labeled 1-10 with 8-10 labeled red. If you raise your speed between 80% and 100% you go in the red, causing your engine to overheat. So even though you aren't using WEP your engines are still overheating for being so high constantly! I remembered this after thinking about IL-2 1946 where if you stay at 100% long enough you get an overheat warning.

Last edited by Duguall; 08-26-2009 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Wow I made a huge run-on sentence.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Approved Member

Yea i thought so, but then i started flying around for over 40 minutes on 98% nothing happend.
Only after using WEP for over 5 mins it died.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguall View Post
First post, whoo. Next step, the post!

Heres a really frequently asked question as I browsed the forum last night, along the lines of:
"My engine keeps failing after 15-40 minutes of dogfighting"

And a very probable answer that I thought of when I was flying the Dover mission just earlier, so I'll use the spitfire as the example,

If you look to the right side of the dashboard theres 3-4 gauges, above the Oil gauge theres a Boost gauge labeled 1-10 with 8-10 labeled red. If you raise your speed between 80% and 100% you go in the red, causing your engine to overheat. So even though you aren't using WEP your engines are still overheating for being so high constantly! I remembered this after thinking about IL-2 1946 where if you stay at 100% long enough you get an overheat warning.
Very good answer indeed. This should come in handy.

I'll be sure to keep my engine at idle when not in combat.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorwzzerd View Post
Here's a simple but neat thing I found, you can cycle through views of all of the planes in the air after you crash by pressing the LB and RB buttons. I've crashed a lot so I know!
doesn't seem to work for me (360)
Old 08-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar01006765 View Post
doesn't seem to work for me (360)
It works. Maybe try the triggers next time.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNikex View Post
It works. Maybe try the triggers next time.
tried every button

do you mean after you crash when the countdown timer is on screen?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar01006765 View Post
tried every button

do you mean after you crash when the countdown timer is on screen?
I think it was when I crashed afer the primary objective was completed. So you have to beat the mission first I guess.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Approved Member

Only works if you're out of "lives".
Old 08-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David603 View Post
You speak very good English, I didn't realise it was not your native language.

Back to the subject of trim, lowering the flaps and undercarraige will have a major effect on the planes trim, and so will slowing down as you approach the runway itself. Therefore trimming is not really effective when landing, and you will need to be making constant adjustments to the controls as you come in to land.
Well, in a real plane, we make several trim adjustments during landing, mostly up to help bleed off speed and to compensate for the steeper descent angle from lowering flaps. Some planes require less than others, but a low-wing aircraft usually requires a full uptrim to stay on the glide slope. It's all going to be hit or miss for awhile in BoP, it's not like 1C put a PAPI at the airfield. With a game that handles like a real plane, telling someone not to trim and re-trim during landing is very dangerous advice and I hope you never do it in a real plane. If you do, we'll be sure and scatter your ashes all over the lawn at 1C.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNikex View Post
Very good answer indeed. This should come in handy.

I'll be sure to keep my engine at idle when not in combat.
I don't recommend that, but the guy has a good point. All I can tell you is from an actual plane. You only go into the red during takeoff or a go around. Even then, as soon as you're 500' AGL you get it out of the red before you blow a cylinder head. I tested it out in the demo extensively tonight to sort out the good info from the bs and it's accurate. But, you can get around it. Just enter a steep dive and the temp goes down pretty quick. Evidently, they didn't program in shock cooling, which is probably hard to program anyway. That's when engine parts cool unevenly. Big question: why don't we have cowl flap controls to help manage the engine heat?