Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > XIII Century: Death or Glory

XIII Century: Death or Glory Real-time strategy game covering major battles of the 13th Century. Lead the English, the French, the Mongols, the Germans or Kievan Rus' (Russians) to victory!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Approved Member

Default Battle Speed

Optimizations and improvements in 1.2 lists:
- Speed of the game during battles lowered down 25%.

Is this true? As I don't see it.

In my opinion the game could use another (if not the first) 25% 'reduction' in overall battle speed. And a 25% (maybe 50%) 'increase' in hand to hand combat resolution (takes too long now).

I am comparing the current version of XIII with 8 years of playing the Total War series, and 6 years of reviewing replays of the worlds largest competition of that series.

Great job so far, but still needs a little work.

Thanks for your attention.

Tomi
Old 11-13-2008, 07:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisama View Post
Optimizations and improvements in 1.2 lists:
- Speed of the game during battles lowered down 25%.

Is this true?
It is true
Old 11-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
In my opinion the game could use another (if not the first) 25% 'reduction' in overall battle speed. And a 25% (maybe 50%) 'increase' in hand to hand combat resolution (takes too long now).

I don't know Tomi: sure the battle speed is rapid, but as other face of coin I found very exciting and realistic, overall in multi, play the battle at this speed. Probably a setting parameter for battle speed is the better solution, so each player can set the battle speed at own preference.

In the hand to hand, sometime I have also experimented the long time you talk, other time I saw a rapid conclusion, I think the moral play a major role in this different result.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIAN View Post
It is true
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitra View Post
I don't know Tomi: sure the battle speed is rapid, but as other face of coin I found very exciting and realistic, overall in multi, play the battle at this speed.
I knew that someone was going to say this in response, most likely because I too had the same thought, even as I was posting

Ok; so I went back and started testing basic unit types in custom, and aside of what seems to be an un-tuned marching footstep audio sync (to the new speed), found all movement speeds to actually be very realistic.

I think my original assessment was one of frustration in a full compliment battle. It was more a matter of a cross of memory and perception, than of deduction. I was having problems positioning my camera and selecting units the way I wanted to (having not played for months), and surmised that ‘nothing had changed’, when indeed it has. Thanks!

Quote:
Probably a setting parameter for battle speed is the better solution, so each player can set the battle speed at own preference. .
This is an excellent idea! Maybe if not a full range, at least one slower speed (half) would assist people in learning to manage larger forces without having to pause all the time. And maybe at least one faster than the now highest speed (double that), so that they could more easily accomplish custom testing unit positioning.

Competitive multiplayer speed would of course always be at the normal setting.

Quote:
In the hand to hand, sometime I have also experimented the long time you talk, other time I saw a rapid conclusion, I think the moral play a major role in this different result.
My response was mostly based on pike to pike encounters I have had so far. They specifically seem to take forever. In closer examination, this may be more of an AI shortcoming than a speed problem, and possibly more noticeable in pikes as they are easer to ID from a birds-eye camera position (“who’s that lagging – ah, the pikes”).

I am still learning to handle my troops in this game, and have just realized how much might be possible in micro-management of the individual units. In one-on-one ‘unassisted’ unit combat, it is easy to see “unemployed” individual troops standing around doing nothing. Until yesterday I didn’t understand that I might be able to get them going at the target enemy unit again, by just reinitializing the attack with additional clicks.

I am still experimenting with this, but it seems what is missing here is a “gang mentality”. In other words, 25 troops versus 5 troops is now fought out as 5 vs. 5, with 20 watchers (just a made up example). That’s what takes so long. You know that those 25 should walk right over the smaller force (without intervention), but they don’t.

Last edited by Tomisama; 11-14-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I am still experimenting with this, but it seems what is missing here is a “gang mentality”. In other words 25 troops versus 5 troops is now fought out as 5 vs. 5 with 20 watchers (just a made up example). That’s what takes so long. You know that those 25 should walk right over the smaller force (without intervention), but they don’t.
Yes, me too a noted this; is, i think, a problem generated by the single man-unit management of units. This mechanism permit very interesting things: at example, if a unit is in combat and you command a retire, only the men not directly in combat fall back and regroup the others continue to fight just their enemy is alive. I suppose in addon the engine has been improved to cover the bug you signalled.

What you think of self control? i found the concept very interesting. In game is a double blade weapons: can help to take advantage of situations the player don't saw, but can generate problem of central controls if he don't make attention.